What's new

I am losing my DVDRW drive?

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I was about to watch some anime, so I loaded a DVD, and was surprised that the thing wast stalled reading the thing and didn't work. So I rebooted with the same results.
Since I was using Vista, I rebooted again, this time using XP and the thing worked, so I was curious and went back to Vista, and checked and it wasn't working, so I thought it was some malware or something software related causing it, but it was weird because I haven't installed anything recently.
Anyway I unistalled Nero, Daemon Tools, PowerDVD without results, made some google searches, tried some reg tweaks and nothing.
So I decided to re-install Vista, but the disc stalled booting up, so I went back to XP again and scanned the disc using Nero DiscSpeed, and it was supposedly to be 100% OK but the test took to long. So I just made a speed to the drive and I was shocked! I didn't reached even 4x and it's a 16x drive (NEC ND-3520). So should I try something else, maybe testing it at another PC or my drive just died?

Edit: Added screenshot

Last edited:

smcd

Sometimes on XP my drive gets knocked out of DMA mode and resorts to PIO. To "fix" I usually remove the devices from device manager (delete) and also the controller channels (ide, sata) then reboot. Afterwards, windows picks them up and things go back to normal indefinitely

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
UPDATE: tested it out with an IDE to USB cable I have, and it worked without any problems. So I get anew IDE cable and the problem was solved. Thanks for the reply anyway :)