What's new

Forum Cleanup

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Now I'm not demanding or saying that having these forums is a bad thing in any way shape or form. But i do believe we could remove/archive them and add a few forums for active & newer emulators in its place.

Here are my suggestions for new forums :

1) Nosgba forum. Ideas has its own so why not nosgba?

2) Nulldc forum. I know the official forum is at ngemu, but a unofficial one wouldn't hurt.

3) Texture pack forum. on the main page and not in a subforum. I believe its proven popular enough for it.

Here are my suggestions for forums to be removed/archived :

1) A.I. - Ask Imabot. Its been over 2 years since it was used and i firmly believe this is the no1 candidate for removal/archiving.

2) IRC Quotes. Hasn't been posted on for 9 months, and really i believe posting the odd irc quotes in the talk of the town section is more than adequate for the amount of times it happens (little)

3) The UltraHLE 2064, SupraHLE, UltraHLE Alpha, Fake64, TR64, eVoodoo, nSX2, Dreamemu, NesterDC forums need removing/archiving. really, to my knowledge all these emulators (and one plugin) are DEAD. The only posts (which happen about 2 times a year) are from newbies to the scene who don't know that they are old emulators and faster and more compatible ones exist. I really believe they should be removed/archived as there really isn't much point in them being there anymore. (no offense)

So there my opinions, let me know if you agree or disagree with them

JKKDARK

The UltraHLE 2064, SupraHLE, UltraHLE Alpha, Fake64, TR64, eVoodoo, nSX2, Dreamemu, NesterDC forums need removing/archiving. really, to my knowledge all these emulators (and one plugin) are DEAD. The only posts (which happen about 2 times a year) are from newbies to the scene who don't know that they are old emulators and faster and more compatible ones exist. I really believe they should be removed/archived as there really isn't much point in them being there anymore. (no offense)

People still use these emulators. ePSXe is dead and it's used by a lot of people.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
ePSXe is more or less an exception because it emulates the PSX really well. Put that into context with the other emulators zion mentioned.

the other emulators have been long since surpassed in their respective emulation fields, but ePSXe is still a viable option despite the existence of pSX, SSSPSX, and PSXeven (ironically, only ePSXe and pSX seems to be the ones that the general public not familiar with "the scene" have any knowledge about).

Last edited:
OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
People still use these emulators. ePSXe is dead and it's used by a lot of people.

Maybe so , but why on earth would you use ultra hle which has a lot of gfx issues and poor compatibility when you could use project64 or 1964 which have great compatibility and near flawless gfx?

I see your point but it isnt really a vaild reason not to remove/archive the forums.

Put it like this : Would you drive a hyundai when you could have a porche?

Last edited:

JKKDARK

ePSXe is more or less an exception because it emulates the PSX really well. Put that into context with the other emulators zion mentioned.

the other emulators have been long since surpassed in their respective emulation fields, but ePSXe is still a viable option despite the existence of pSX, SSSPSX, and PSXeven (ironically, only ePSXe and pSX seems to be the ones that the general public not familiar with "the scene" have any knowledge about).

Ok, it means emutalk should remove the Chankast section, since it will not be updated anymore and nullDC is extremely a lot better.

Maybe so , but why on earth would you use ultra hle which has a lot of gfx issues and poor compatibility when you could use project64 or 1964 which have great compatibility and near flawless gfx?

I see your point but it isnt really a vaild reason not to remove/archive the forums.
Project 64 is better than 1964. And you should use only the best emulator available? You domn't like the emulators from other people?

Put it like this : Would you drive a hyundai when you could have a porche?
Yes, because I'm a hyundai fan.

Last edited:
OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Project 64 is better than 1964. And you should use only the best emulator available? You domn't like the emulators from other people?

I think 99.9% of people on this earth would rather use the best of the best rather than second best.

In terms of emulators, why on earth would you use a emulator that doesnt work as well as a different one. It makes no logical sense

Yes, because I'm a hyundai fan.

LOL, id love to see you take a hyundai over a porche if they were both offered to you for free :blink:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Ok, it means emutalk should remove the Chankast section, since it will not be updated anymore and nullDC is extremely a lot better.
No, since Chankast still does some things better than nullDC, and both boot and run games quite well. Again, Chankast is still a viable option for some games.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against old emulators or keeping their forum sections on EmuTalk. I'm just naturally curious about what makes you say that there are still people who use the old emulators zion mentioned. Actively using emulators like UltraHLE or TR64 over, say Project64 or 1964 no less? Or just tinkering with them because of nostalgia and the so-called "good old days"?

Which way of using an emulator are you referring to?

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, maybe some forums like uhle could be removed without problems, since not many are posting anything there, plus the projects seems kind of dead and not much news about it. There's nothing wrong with removing those sections, seeing as there's a general n64 emu forum where it can be discussed instead.

TRS

@zion: Not to criticise your suggestion, but I immediatly start to wonder how you came to this idea?

Are you really annoyed by a few forums that are present, but never posted in? What's the problem with old forums? Even if no one ever bothered to look (or post) in these forums again, what bothers you so much that you want these to be removed?

From historical point of few I would say please keep the forums. The only reason in my opinion would be the hardware costs rising above acceptable limits. There have been a lot of discussions in the past about programming plugins/emulators etc. that contain valuable information for programmers even now. It would be a loss if this information is lost just because someone thinks it should be removed.

Again I would like to emphasise that I'm not criticising you, I'm just curious. (plus it helps removing the annoying message on top of the screen whenever I log into Emutalk :shifty: saying I don't post enough)

Greetings,

TRS

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
@zion: Not to criticise your suggestion, but I immediatly start to wonder how you came to this idea?

Are you really annoyed by a few forums that are present, but never posted in? What's the problem with old forums? Even if no one ever bothered to look (or post) in these forums again, what bothers you so much that you want these to be removed?

From historical point of few I would say please keep the forums. The only reason in my opinion would be the hardware costs rising above acceptable limits. There have been a lot of discussions in the past about programming plugins/emulators etc. that contain valuable information for programmers even now. It would be a loss if this information is lost just because someone thinks it should be removed.

Again I would like to emphasise that I'm not criticising you, I'm just curious. (plus it helps removing the annoying message on top of the screen whenever I log into Emutalk :shifty: saying I don't post enough)

Greetings,

TRS

First off the emutalk forum posts get archived automatically after so long, so nothing would be lost (look in the forums now there is barley any threads 1-3, thats because the rest are archived)

As i said "remove/archive" so im not saying they should be wiped from the face of the earth. And i just feel that its time to move on, its not 1996 anymore, the emulators i listed are dead and whats the point in having them there anymore when only 1-2 noobs per year post saying "whats the chance of a return" or whatever. The emulators i listed have been superseded and the only reason one would use them is for nostalgia.

It makes the forums longer too, (not a huge deal) but the sections will be a lot neater with them gone/archived.

+ it makes the site seem inactive when that really isnt the case. when you see a fifth of the forums last post is a year or so old it makes the site seem inactive.

Time whether people like it or not, moves on, and those that don't move with it generally get left in the dark.

Another point to remember is that this is a discussion board. Whats the point of having those forums when there is nothing left to discuss on them? Kind of defeats the boards purpose.

Last edited:

TRS

zion said:
this is a discussion board
That's the primary reason I even started to reply on your subject. If everybody would just say "Oh yeah great idea" there would not be much discussion left would there?:D

zion said:
And i just feel that its time to move on, its not 1996 anymore, the emulators i listed are dead and whats the point in having them there anymore when only 1-2 noobs per year post saying "whats the chance of a return" or whatever. The emulators i listed have been superseded and the only reason one would use them is for nostalgia.
I don't agree with you on this point. Source code (even from old programs) does have added value to programmers. Since there are a lot of programmers (and programmers-want/pretend-to-be) here I can imagine I'm not the only one with this vision. So the value for me (and other programmers) is not to revive dead emulators but to learn from other programmers code.

Furthermore I personally think nostalgia is a very good reason to keep this information up. I don't know how old you are, but trust me there will be a time when all of a sudden you feel a urging desire to do/play/read/watch something you did/played/read/watched years ago. Just try to imagine how frustrating it would be when you can't find any resources to get you up and running to relive those beloved moments!

I agree with you that a discussion board should not be a library with just old stuff or lecture, but with modern technologisch like Internet it is possible to combine both! In my opinion this is not failing to move on but rather making use of new possibilities and not trying to use new technologisch with old fashioned reasoning. ;)

Greetings,

TRS

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
Furthermore I personally think nostalgia is a very good reason to keep this information up.

Thats the thing, there is NO information even at those boards. Its ALL archived. Hence my point. Its just a name that is on the forum index, nothing more. The forums are empty.

I don't agree with you on this point. Source code (even from old programs) does have added value to programmers. Since there are a lot of programmers (and programmers-want/pretend-to-be) here I can imagine I'm not the only one with this vision. So the value for me (and other programmers) is not to revive dead emulators but to learn from other programmers code.

Again that has NOTHING to do with what i am talking about or the forums i listed. Those sections contain NONE of that content.

If you want the source code for these emulators emutalk has THREE forums dedicated to it at the bottom of the forum

http://emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=68
http://emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=80
http://emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Now i love nostalgia, (im 21) and have myself just used ultra hle once in the last year just to relive the good old days, but there is no valid reason to keep empty forums up there just so you can remember there names. Emulation64 (the front page of this site) has ALL the emulators available to download anyway, while the forums i listed do not.

All of the points you brought up really had no relevance to this topic as i didnt say remove the source code , or tell anyone NOT to use the emulators , all i said was that the forums (the ones i listed) are never posted on, the emulators are dead and it would make sense to archive/remove the FORUMS, not the whole existence of the emulator.

Last edited:

JKKDARK

Zion said:
First off the emutalk forum posts get archived automatically after so long, so nothing would be lost (look in the forums now there is barley any threads 1-3, thats because the rest are archived)
Zion said:
Thats the thing, there is NO information even at those boards. Its ALL archived. Hence my point. Its just a name that is on the forum index, nothing more. The forums are empty.

n00b.

They are not exactly archived. You have to go to Display Options and click on From The Beginning

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
n00b.

They are not exactly archived. You have to go to Display Options and click on From The Beginning

Oh really, so that means there not archived then?

So im a noob for stating facts?

There archived, i didn't specify the exact method in which there archived did i? Or state how they are accessed?

Just because you dislike me, doesn't mean you should troll this thread and make unfounded comments just to try and discredit me.

This thread was created to get peoples views on the subject in hand, not to continue personal feuds (which i still have no idea why you hate me).

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The thing is, even if these forums are removed, the contents is still left - it doesn't vanish. Posts and threads can be moved to other forums and any discussion on those boards can be made on general n64 emu forum.
No one has a really good argument why these forums should not be removed or hidden. Just to repeat, no information is lost! All that is lost is a few forums which are mostly inactive.

zaba_3

I dont see why those N64 emulators forums should be removed,atlest they have some nostalgic value ;)

TRS

Doomulation said:
No one has a really good argument why these forums should not be removed or hidden.
No one has a really good argument why these forums SHOULD be removed or hidden either! ;)

But serious I am not trying to agitate anybody, I was merely sharing a different point of view (that is what discussion is all about isn't it?).

The thing is when I come to emutalk I hit the 'New Posts' link and I get an overview of all posts since my last visit. Because of this I've never noticed any forums being empty. They don't bother me a single bit and that's why I asked zion what his reasons are he wants to remove those forums.

I must admit I am no enthusiast when it comes to cleaning up old stuff. I can't oversee the use for other people those forums have, so even if it seems irrelevant to me it might be usefull for somebody else.

Something similar was the discussion a while ago about cleaning up members who are not 'active'. Suggestion was to remove all members who did not post lets say the last 6 months. Seems reasonable but (look at my post-count, and I've been a member since 1999) some people come here to follow other discussions, news, etc. So if somebody doesn't post for 6 months, it doesn't necesseraly mean they're not 'active'.

Same applies to the old forums, maybe there are some people who have interest in them. So then I restate my former point, technically there's no problem to keep the forums as they are know and there's no gain in removing them (at least not in my vision).

Greetings,

TRS

PS: The forum-members cleanup is an entirely different discussion, it is not my intention to start this discussion again, it is merely an example!

Last edited: