What's new

Programming Humor Thread

xtra krazzy

Dolphin Developer
Wikipedian Protester, TCMP and Red Light were pretty funny, Conspiracies too.
Nice addition. (Your sig was and is funnier though)

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Why Software Engineers shouldn't drive

Four Engineers are taking a rental car to a convention. The Engineering manager is driving and the other three, a software, an electrical, and a mechanical engineer are riding in the various seats. They go up to the top of a hill and begin going down, when the manager tries to use the brakes to slow down, they aren't working. Everyone is somewhat paniced but fortunately they were able to roll to a stop. Everyone gets out and kisses the ground etc. The mechanical engineer moves to look at the brakes suspecting an issue with the brake pads, the electrical engineer thinks there might be an issue with the ABS system and pops the hood to look. The Engineering manage just asks, "so what do you think?" The Software engineer just stands with his arms crossed shaking his head in disgust. The manager notices it and asks, "what's wrong?" The software engineer replies, "What are you guys doing?! Let's just get in the car and see if it happens again!"

Cyb

xtra krazzy

Dolphin Developer
Funny :)
I once had a similar comic strip explaining a program and how various IT people saw it.. tremendously funny.

Toasty

Sony battery
Heh. The Unix one is funny because I can easily see it happening in real life. Say goodbye to hours of work because of a space character in the wrong spot. :p

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Another xkcd comic (SQL anyone?)

This one is quite funny if you think about it:
exploits_of_a_mom.png

Sanitize your database inputs! LOL

Ahem... :D

Cyb

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

Shakespearian C

"To be or not to be... that is the question."

The answer is 0xff since:

Code:
0x2b | ~0x2b = 0xff

Cyb

smcd

Heh. The Unix one is funny because I can easily see it happening in real life. Say goodbye to hours of work because of a space character in the wrong spot. :p

as a safeguard, you can alias rm to be rm -i, so it's interactive. if it is indeed the file(s) you want to delete, stop interactive mode then run /bin/rm with the same list/pattern ;)

yes, it can and does happen :(

[user@home ~/pics] rm -rf ./ gross*

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

I was begining to wonder if people read that joke or not.

As they say humor is relative. Something one person thinks funny (such as messing up peoples databases by naming your child something odd) some might not get. And if you have to explain a joke it's no longer funny I've heard.

:D

Cyb

Toasty

Sony battery
Just optimizing smcd's code a little...
Code:
int question = 0x2b | ~0x2b;
There! Now the comment is no longer required! :p

Garstyciuks

I was begining to wonder if people read that joke or not.

As they say humor is relative. Something one person thinks funny (such as messing up peoples databases by naming your child something odd) some might not get. And if you have to explain a joke it's no longer funny I've heard.

:D

Cyb

I also noticed that it isn't any funny when you have to explain the jokes. Though some easier, more general, jokes after explaining may generate some laugh, I attempted to say this one to one of my friends, who doesn't really know a lot about computers, and after 5 minutes of explaining, it wasn't funny to him. And I told this same joke to another friend, who has some bigger understanding of computers, found it really funny after 10 seconds of deep thinking about it. :)

I guess that when you do have to explain the joke, the funniness of the joke depends on the time you took to explain it. I noticed that the best jokes are the ones which aren't immediately clear and the target people take a few seconds of thinking to fully understand them. Also when there is a group of several people and some don't get the joke, it is always funnier to them when the joke is explained by the ones who got it, and not the one who said it in the first place. And a final thought - when the joke is understood by every person in the group at almost the same time after ~2 seconds of thinking, it generates the biggest and longest laugh.

Last edited: