What's new

Rice's Last Video Plugin?

Draconicus

Rice has released the source of his 6.1.1 beta 10 plugin. This is apparently his last release and varies quite significantly from the 6.1.0 plugin that's coming with the latest mupen64. His source is very win32-oriented but could easily be ported, I think.
I've been wondering why this hasn't been ported for Mupen64. Texture loading has improved massively between the versions, and the texture loading in the current one doesn't seem to work right anyway.

Sirmatto

It doesn't need to be ported to Mupen64, as Mupen uses the standard N64 plugin architecture, it should work as is.

OP
Draconicus

Draconicus

It doesn't need to be ported to Mupen64, as Mupen uses the standard N64 plugin architecture, it should work as is.
I sort of meant for Linux. It's not like I could just rename the libraries from .dll to .so and expect it to work.

Sirmatto

Hacktarux released the source to his port of Rice, so it's just a matter of getting someone like Mudlord to update the Linux port with the latest port

dtm

Ok this thread is completely incoherent. The relevant issue is making the plugin inherently portable, starting with porting it to Linux again. Can someone please change the title of the topic so that it makes any sense? Or even better, delete it and start over.

Mudlord, you are da man, as they say. I appreciate your kind attitude toward the community, and in being so generous with your time during your busy school schedule. I completely support your efforts to modernize Rice and I have helped port the last Linux version (6.1.1 beta 10) to MacOS. ( http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=41210 )

Mudlord, do you have any interest in porting to Linux? I would be glad to help you set up a virtual machine for the initial porting effort so you can at least make it compile, and I'd be glad to test it for you. Likewise for MacOS, and you can always have a shell on my system.

If you're willing to try, please post something on your existing dev thread to replace this incoherent mess. And then if it gets underway, I guess maybe you'll start a new thread for testing and feedback.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get your current plugin working in wine on MacOS. Thank you so much for your most talented efforts.

mudlord

Banned
Mudlord, you are da man, as they say. I appreciate your kind attitude toward the community, and in being so generous with your time during your busy school schedule.

Thanks, words like this make me want to continue working on this. I try to prioritise things, so me fitting in this in with university life isn't that much of a problem. Unless I get swamped with assignment work, that is. :)

I completely support your efforts to modernize Rice and I have helped port the last Linux version (6.1.1 beta 10) to MacOS.

Cool. Thats pretty awesome. Sure thats not the plain 6.1.0 version, and not the latest one?

Mudlord, do you have any interest in porting to Linux? I would be glad to help you set up a virtual machine for the initial porting effort so you can at least make it compile, and I'd be glad to test it for you. Likewise for MacOS, and you can always have a shell on my system.

Yes, I have interesting in porting to Linux. The problem is though with my limited Linux experience, and the resources to do so. So, for me, porting to Linux is quite a learning curve. Although, it wouldnt hurt to try.

If you're willing to try, please post something on your existing dev thread to replace this incoherent mess. And then if it gets underway, I guess maybe you'll start a new thread for testing and feedback.

Sure thing. If you are interested, I'll put up your MacOS port in my SVN code tree in a seperate branch and you can have SVN access, if you want. Same goes for other devs, the offers there on the table.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get your current plugin working in wine on MacOS. Thank you so much for your most talented efforts.

Oh okay, thats cool, and thanks for the compilment. :bouncy:

OP
Draconicus

Draconicus

dtm

I don't mean to gang up, but honestly, man... It's listed on the first page of mupen64 threads. The forums are organized hierarchically. Also it was said that Hacktarux released it and you can search for all posts or threads made by Hacktarux.

Last edited:

dtm

Cool. Thats pretty awesome. Sure thats not the plain 6.1.0 version, and not the latest one?

Whoops. Yeah it is 6.1.0 on Linux and MacOS. I was thinking of 6.1.1 beta 10 because I've been beating my head against Mupen64 in wine so much.

Check your private messages and we'll get on IRC or IM ^_^

Last edited:
OP
Draconicus

Draconicus

Aha! So I was right.
I know that 6.1.0 has been out. I'm looking for the last one, the 6.1.1 beta 10. Read my starting post. It hasn't been ported yet, so half of you need to shut up and pay attention. :p

I mean, come on! It's not that hard to see the difference in the version numbers!

6.1.1 Beta 10

Note the '1' especially.
6.1.0 cannot handle RGBA textures and won't load half of the newer packs.
Even 6.1.1 Beta 6 skipped a bunch of them.

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
I would say something witty and rude in response, but that would only drag me down to your level.

Nice to know my place....:plain:

The search function for these forums isn't the greatest. It doesn't handle keywords very well. I often find threads in repeat searches that didn't show up previously.

If you have complaints about it, complain to the forum administrators who can fix it. Not telling anyone makes things difficult.

hasn't been ported yet, so half of you need to shut up and pay attention

....And you better not be so abusive. My thoughts were right all along that I'll never get along with you....Sorta proves that my hatred is valid

OP
Draconicus

Draconicus

mudlord, not to make this personal, but from what I've seen, you have a tendency to instigate subtly. You also rush to comment before studying the facts, and that can cause other trouble... but let's not flame about it.

Anyway, getting back to the original question, does anyone here know anything about porting the C over to a more gcc-friendly version? Maybe somebody could create a Makefile. I know nothing about that myself.... err...
:linux:

mudlord

Banned
mudlord, not to make this personal, but from what I've seen, you have a tendency to instigate subtly. You also rush to comment before studying the facts, and that can cause other trouble... but let's not flame about it.

I'm glad your being honest, afterall honesty is the best policy. I'm not going to argue anymore, since its pretty lame imho to keep this up, looking back on things...Your right about me rushing to comment and taking things a bit too seriously, since I know I can be very uptight in some occasions. :) Best leave this all behind us and start a clean slate, since honestly, I hate confrontations. :)

Anyway, getting back to the original question, does anyone here know anything about porting the C over to a more gcc-friendly version? Maybe somebody could create a Makefile. I know nothing about that myself.... err...

Well, first off, some parts of the Rice 6.1.1 beta 10 code is very MSVC specific. These need to be fixed up. Also, the assembly code in it currently needs to be ported to a GCC compliant format (Hacktarux, IIRC, used NASM for some parts). Those are the main things. Also, of course, OGL needs to be in main use for Linux, too...

Makefiles would definately have to happen, but theres loads of other stuff to fix up too.

OP
Draconicus

Draconicus

Ah. I assumed as much about the Visual C. I at least know that porting that is living hell. I remember fumbling around with Cygwin libraries for an hour before I got Duke Nukem 3D to run... and that was before MSVC. These days it's a mess.

That was my whole point of starting this thread. I'm wondering if there are any upcoming plans to port it the same way the 6.1.0 was. The odd title is just to grab attention. Everyone knows this is Rice's last plugin, after all. :p

I would imagine that the same steps Hacktarux used for 6.1.0 could be taken for 6.1.1b10.