What's new

Game Boy

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Heheheh... that's really freaky. Anyways, I'm still stuck, but I've promised myself that I'd get it fixed by sunday night. We'll see how it goes :p

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
3a.m.... I made it a point to not get any sleep until I had fixed it. Well, I'm not sure if I did fix it, but I practically gutted the whole damn thing, and progress has been made! While it still looks the same, it no longer crashes with the first frame - all the little thingies are waving around the screen such like the nature of the big scroller demo. It appears to stay in the loop. I also noticed that I had never finished my RST op - which was probably one of my largest problems.

I can feel it guys, victory is on it's edge :icecream:

Anyways, time for sleep :yawn: I'll get it tomarrow, I've got my "game" face on :term:

bcrew1375

Improved my drawing routine a bit. Unfortunately, something is making it screw up a handful of games, but it has otherwise worked great :p. It now runs a tad bit faster than Dark Stalker's old lameboy executable :happy:. May not be much improvement, but at least I've gained a bit of speed. Now I've got to figure out what's keeping the other games from working :/.

aprentice

screw it, i'll post an executable of my emu here for you guys to check out, its nothing special and the debugger is grayed out cause its incomplete but whatever... if you want to unleash the fury, turn off vsync lol...hopefully it will motivate a few of you guys to show off your work as well :p

edit: btw, save states arent fully implamented, i gotta stop slacking and actually finish it lol..

Last edited:

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
Bah! I lost part of my source in a hard drive crash. Of course the only files corrupted (completely destroyed) were the main CPU core and its backup, all the rest of the code (the parts that are small and easy to re-do) are fine. :ranting: Figures.

bcrew1375

aprentice said:
screw it, i'll post an executable of my emu here for you guys to check out, its nothing special and the debugger is grayed out cause its incomplete but whatever... if you want to unleash the fury, turn off vsync lol...hopefully it will motivate a few of you guys to show off your work as well :p

edit: btw, save states arent fully implamented, i gotta stop slacking and actually finish it lol..

Nice speed. For some reason, the first time I tried a game(Legend of Zelda), the speed went at an insane FPS of over 500. The second time I ran it, it ran around the same speed as mine. Any idea? Also, you probably already know, but I've noticed two cases in games where sprites do not show up. A Boy And His Blob and Earthworm Jim.

BTW, thanks for the shout in the credits :p. (That is referring to me, right?) :plain:

Last edited:

HyperHacker

Raving Lunatic
It might be video-related... My first really crappy video implementation caused a nearly 2000% slowdown. :p For sprites, you'd want to see if the game is loading anything into OAM, and if not, why not.

bcrew1375

Could be. I sped alot of my stuff up simply by doing shifts instead of multiplying. That especially helped my video routine. I also did conditional drawing(which is what is causing problems with games at the moment. I still haven't figured out why.).

Last edited:

aprentice

oh i already know about sprites not showing in some games, if i disable the ability to hide sprites it will show in the game, cause the sprites ARE in oam memory, somethings just being all wierd, i dont know whats causing the sprites to stay hidden in some games.. about the slowdown on running it the second time, it doesn't happen for me, it always runs 500+ fps no matter how many times i run it in a row.. but i do think my video code is a bottle neck, video isnt exactly my forte.. and yeah your in the credits bccrew lol, if i missed anyone don't fret, i rushed the about window and everyone will be in it lol..

bcrew1375

If your video is a bottleneck, I hate to see the speed with a good video routine :p. I wonder if the massive speed your's has over mine is because I'm using SDL? You're using DirectX, right?

aprentice

bcrew1375 said:
If your video is a bottleneck, I hate to see the speed with a good video routine :p. I wonder if the massive speed your's has over mine is because I'm using SDL? You're using DirectX, right?

no, its cause i spent 2 weeks optimizing my cpu core lol, lets just say one example is my compare opcode is only 1 line of C code (compiles to 4 lines of asm) >:p

it definately helps that my cpu core doesnt calculate flags :p

edit: also my memory system runs on a jump table and so does my cpu core, my video routine is definately not optimized much at all, i lose a lot of speed in it..

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
I did some debugging this weekend :p

In order... Big Scroller demo, "Test" demo, and RNC Calculator.. I'm surprised because BSD runs fairly well... almost as it should, yet nothing else does. These are the only games to give me results so far. Getting there though :)

aprentice

ShizZie said:
I did some debugging this weekend :p

In order... Big Scroller demo, "Test" demo, and RNC Calculator.. I'm surprised because BSD runs fairly well... almost as it should, yet nothing else does. These are the only games to give me results so far. Getting there though :)

congrats, looking good, you're getting there.

bcrew1375

aprentice said:
no, its cause i spent 2 weeks optimizing my cpu core lol, lets just say one example is my compare opcode is only 1 line of C code (compiles to 4 lines of asm) >:p

it definately helps that my cpu core doesnt calculate flags :p

How did you bypass calculating flags? And how did you make a compare opcode with only 1 line? :huh:

BTW, added an FPS limit option... finally :p. Also, congrats Shiz.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Thanks guys. Spent another few hours coding, though little progress has been made :p Added a ReadByte function and implemented it in all my ops per suggestion of ren, but I've yet to give it any more functionality than it previouselly had. :p Also found a silly error in my MBC1 code. Instead of if(rom.type==0x02||rom.type==0x03){//code here//}, I had if(rom.type!=0x02&&rom.type!=0x03){//code here//}. No wonder no MBC1 games didn't work :blush: Then again, they still don't ^^

Anyways, I'll squeeze some more work in on tomarrow, and post if I make anything to be proud of. Unfortunetly I have school tomarrow, spring break is over :yucky:

aprentice

HyperHacker said:
Multiple statements on one line. I could make an entire emulator on one line if I was crazy enough. ;)

yes but i did say it compiled to 4 lines of asm code :p
I'll fill you guys in on what I did when its 100% complete, right now I still might change some stuff around :p

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Could someone give me a brief overview of what should go on in the readbyte function, and any specific things that I should take into consideration? (besides just return memory[address], of course). Thanks!