What's new

pj64 1.6 no-sound problem

zb10948

Hello guys, first to say hi to all, since this is my first post here.

I haven't play N64 games in a while, downloaded the last available pj64 last month or so...and i ran into sound problems. DirectSound based plugin doesn't work...no sound at all. While the basic sound plugin works, it's really not enjoyable and the sound is all clipped up to a high degree. I also downloaded Azimer Audio v0.56, same thing. My system specs are : Intel P4 @ 2GHz, 1GB RAM, GeForce3 Titanium and E-MU 0404 DSA. System is Windows 2000.

System should run TLOZ:OoT just fine (which is a primary reason why i resurrected my N64 emu affairs :)), however as you can see, i don't have an "ordinary" sound card. It's an mixing / production sound adapter, and to get output from DirectSound / WDM / MMC i'm required to do some one-time tweaks on the mixing console on the early setup (as soon as i install the card). That would be rerouting the "windows sound output" onto the physical adapter output, or onto the ASIO output. All windows-based API's noted above are routed to physical outputs, and everything else works fine, be it WDM or DirectSound based. Games using DSound, audio players using WDM, emulators using any of those (ZSNES, VGBA). So i don't think that my sound card configuration is the issue here.

Any thoughts on this one? Any help is much appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Iconoclast

Weird. Only plugins you haven't tried are TR64 Audio, Lac's Audio for Nemu64, Azimer's LLE Audio, and then there's some buffer-based plugin by zilmar, wasn't Basic Audio Plugin I don't think.

A more simplified list of plugins I have found here.

http://www.ngemu.com/n64/pj64.php?action=plugins

See which ones work. If none of them work but give crackling, then check the "General N64 Emulation Discussion" forum for a sticked HOW TO written by Hacktarux. This method will require not using Project64 1.6, since you need to change to a different RSP.

OP
Z

zb10948

Thanks for replying. I tried following plugins :

- Azimer's HLE Audio v0.56 WIP 2
- Azimer's LLE Audio v0.50.1 beta
- Jabo's DirectSound 1.6
- TR64 Audio-UCode 1
- Zilmar's Audio Plugin

Only the last two gave sound, clipped. Disabling RSP for audio rendered the Zilmar's plugin unusable, and TR64 went even more clippery. Changing RSP parameters hasn't changed anything about the two Azimer plugins and Jabo's. They just don't give any sound out.

I managed to get the best sound out from the Zilmar's plugin, by changing buffer size to 75%. It was better, but still clipping, and still unenjoyable.

Could i try anything else? If nothing crosses your mind right now, could you point me to some other N64 emu, which can emulate TLOZ:OoT in full detail.

Iconoclast

Try using 1964's internal RSP.

Install that emulator, then maybe I can give you another RSP that can fix the HLE crackling from 1964's audio.

Iconoclast

schibo's Audio Plugin based on UltraHLE v0.4.2 ftw.

...I guessed that from heart; did I get that right? :) Kinda deleted it, so don't know.