What's new

I got a new video card and want to know the best plugins for it

Iconoclast

I got an FX 5200, no problems over here with graphics that nobody else has, except the failure to use Glide64 with Hack's wrapper, which I don't care about. No game out there that requires Glide64 and no other plugin in order to be playable; I can easily evade using the plugin.

As you may already know, the three kinds of plugins are graphics, sound, and controller. (For some complex reasons, I don't prefer the alternative terms of video, audio and input.)

Probably the biggest reason for this evasion is the existence of Rice's Video Plugin, so I would suggest using that as your graphics plugin for Project64, but also keep a copy of glN64, Direct64 and Jabo's Direct3D. There is no universally best graphics plugin. If you want, you can try getting Glide64 to work, but no luck over here so far except for the games with flickering issues....

Audio is easy. Jabo's DirectSound is the best zilmar spec. audio plugin. It is a Low Level Emulation (LLE) sound plugin, which means it emulates less about the N64 than HLE plugins and is therefore "more like the actual N64" (get tired of using that phrase for some reason). It is the only sound plugin that can fix sound issues in any N64 game, you name it. There is another sound plugin called Azimer's v0.56 HLE audio, which you will also want, as it is faster, is independent of Project64's RSP plugin, and sounds better on 1964 than Jabo's DirectSound does (but that's their RSP's fault :p). With audio synching disabled for both plugins, Azimer's has less crackling, but since it is HLE, games like World Driver Championship won't boot with any plugin other than Jabo's DirectSound.

Input is the easiest. Search the Plugin forum for rabbidiety's overhaul of N-Rage's DirectInput8. Better than all the input plugins combined. Personally, though, I'm fine using zilmar's BasicKeyboard Plugin....