What's new

Project64 runs VERY slow with a Radeon X1650...WHY???

Zero_Hunter

Hi Emutalk members.

I really apreciate your help with this weird issue.

I recently upgrade my system with this specs:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Gigabyte Radeon X1650 (non pro) 580/880 mhz
HDD 250 GB
1 GB RAM DDR2 / 533 MHZ
Windows XP SP 2 (fully updated)
DirectX 9.0c (fully updated)

The problem is the PJ64 runs ONLY at 5 fps (even if I uncheck the limit fps option), when I ran it with the onboard vga card (before I upgrade it) that was a GeForce 6100, the emulator run the games perfectly.

I use the PJ64 1.6 with the default plug-ins (Jabo).

I'll always use the PJ64 software 'cause is the BEST emulator EVER!!!, I used it with a Radeon 9550SE, X300SE, Geforce 6100 and GeForce 7300GT (I think the X1650 card is even better that this ones) and always runs perfectly........the Radeon X1650 is very new (since february of this year) and I supossed is a plug-in problem, can you help me what is the best plug-in that suit my PC? or what is the problem with my PC?

Thank you in advance for the replies, I'll JUST wanna play my LEGALLY N64 games on my PC again!!!.

and sorry form my bad english, I speak spanish :sombrero:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Default plugins are more than enough for most people regardless of their system configurations. Do you have both cores in use?

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
install the Cool and Quiet driver, and the MS Dual core patches,

or disable cool and quiet in the bios and install the ms dual core patches anyway

OP
Z

Zero_Hunter

THANX SQUALL (i'm a fan of FF series :) )

I dont knew there will be a problem with the "dual-core" feature of the processor, I'll try the ms dual core patches that you're talking about, and I already have installed the Cool 'n Quiet drivers. Hope It can Helpme......and the patches you're talking, Its for the PJ64 exclusively or what IT DOES???

thanx again.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
its for programs which exhibit issues when running on multicore processors ranging from low performance, to unstable framerates

OP
Z

Zero_Hunter

Thanx again, as you sugest I install the patches but the problem persist. I remember to use a Zogis 7300GT with the system without any patch and the emulator worked perfectly........the problem shows when I install the new Gigabyte X1650 vga card.

This card functions perfectly, Inclusive with the ePSXe emulator.....I still belive is a Plug-in problem, I'll try with a few ones, but since you're more expert than me....can you recomend me an alternate graphic plug-in???

thanx again for your time ;)

OP
Z

Zero_Hunter

Default plugins are more than enough for most people regardless of their system configurations. Do you have both cores in use?

Hi Agozer.

Yep, if you mean the Athlon dual-core proccesors thats correct, I run it both.

Or you mean the 2D and 3D "core" or "cores" my VGA card have.....the program V-Tuner 3 (from gigabyte, for OC purposses) shows me the CORE clock with an 2D/3D Clock Speed message above.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I mean your processor's cores, nothing else. Set the CPU affinity to only a single core so that Project64 runs only on one core and not on both.

fungah!!

I haven't been around here for a few years now as I just started playing again, but I am using a Radeon 1650xt and I'm having no troubles at all using jabo1.6 or rice; always running 60fps.
So I don't think it's just an issue with the card but something else. I know that doesn't help your problem but at least mostly rules out the card being the problem.