What's new

Problem: No text in Banjo-Kazooie

m3n

I have a little yet annoying problem: when I try to play BK in PJ64, the text boxes are empty - there's simply no text. When I had PJ64 on my old Win2k PC (AMD Athlon 1.4 Ghz, Radeon 7000) , it worked perfectly well, but now...
Anone have an Idea?

Athlon 64 6000+ 2x 3.0 Ghz
GeForce 7900GS

Screenshot

Now tht I've posted this, I found out tht the problem doesn't pper if I use Jbo's D3D6 1.5.2 insted of Jbo's D3D8 1.6:
Problem hlf-solved tht fr...

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Hm...that's one issue I have no clue as to what part of any system could trigger. Unreadable text, maybe, but missing?

Well, I got one solution: Get a different graphics plugin. glN64 doesn't use Direct3D, so you may have some luck with that. Emulates hardware frame buffer emulation, which is a setting you want checked in graphics configuration (Options/Configure Graphics Plugin...) pretty much perfectly for the Banjo games.

http://gln64.emulation64.com/download.html

Need any help installing plugins to Project64?

OP
M

m3n

Jiggies Issue

By the way I found a soluion for this problem that I find quite good:
Using Jabo's D3D6 1.5.2 on low res, Advanced>Frame Buffer: "Emulate Primary" & "Use low resoluion updates" on.
This way it ain't running too slow and I still get the "Jiggies" effect

Iconoclast

Here's a better solution: Use glN64, the plugin I linked you to above, instead of Jabo's Direct3D 6, which is actually the only other plugin supporting this effect besides Glide64 which emulates it more slowly and intensively. I'm impressed that you found that in a quicker amount of time than I did.

The difference is: Your emulation speed will be much greater, with no slowdown issue, unless you have OpenGL renderer issues on your system.

Download this file to the Plugins subfolder of your emulator, and change your graphics plugin to glN64.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i had that game running on a 7600gt recently and had no issues with text... except for the jiggies issue which is due to not having those framebuffers emulated.

OP
M

m3n

Yeah, but...

I tried glN64 out, but didn't get the jiggies to work.
So I'll just stay with Jabo's D3D6...

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Try disabling the aspect ratio setting in the graphics plugin or whatever it's called (gaming computer is down so I can't check). I remember that causing problems with the text boxes in BK and BT.