What's new

model replacement?

poly_pusher

cant wait for 1.7 looks great. Have a question though. Are there any plans to allow model replacement in the future? Is this possible?

OP
P

poly_pusher

textures are mapped on to models that are made of connected polygons "trangles"...for an example if you dont understand you can check out this thread http://www.game-artist.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2031
its a competition I'm working on. If you scroll down you will see the untextured model in wireframe render mode and at the top the rendered and in progress textured model. The models in n64 are extremely low poly. replacing the models could add tremendous amounts of detail. I'm sure this is understood by the developers of pj64. I'm just curious whether it is possible and if so whether it is being considered in future releases.

Also, would it be possible to add non-existant texture layers? Modern games use bump maps and normal maps to create surface detail. It'd be awesome to add normal maps to an n64 game. Or is that impossible given the limitations of the games engine despite the graphics plugins and emulation.

Last edited:

SubDrag

It's probably possible for some games, but it's not as simple as you think. Models have animations, collision points, different drawlists, etc. While they could probably intercept some of the drawlists, it would probably not work well. I'd be surprised if it were that do-able.

OP
P

poly_pusher

Oh dont worry...dont think its simple...given the extraordinary effort producing this emulator I think it would be worth it. Models would of course have to be to scale. I don't know how animation is actually implemented in n64 games, I'm pretty certain it's not skeletal, probably a method similar to but more primitive than the quake series. It seems that this emulator has a lot of room for more advanced features. When I run 1.6 without frame limting I get hundreds of frames per second. So clock cycles could be used for more advanced additions. The following would be a lofty task at best but possibly interesting. What about the addition of a second level of animation? Since the game is being emulated, before it is drawn to the screen, maybe the transforms from the original model could be mapped to a new high poly model simillar to maya's wrap deformer. Let the original base model exist, new model to same scale, keep collision points and let the existing animation drive a high poly model.

Like I said before, pj64 runs sooooo fast, it could afford the slow down caused by the overhead this would cause.

Just a thought...more of a brain fart really...who am I kidding...probably a blood clot in my brain...;)

Iconoclast

Project64 is reasonably fast but does not have a lot of speed to sacrifice to highly CPU-intensive processes, like pretty much every emulator. Also, if you think that's fast, you should try 1964.

There isn't a way to just modify a ROM file like that, unless you want to enter the programming arena. If you want to make screenshots for your model modifications, export this geometry using a graphics plugin supplied by Nemu64. Check the Nemu64 forum for a sticky on how to use this feature.