What's new

Help with Street Fighter 3rd strike, please!

Nanado

Hello, mateys! What's up?

I've gotten a problem here and I hope you guys can help me, or at very last, if you get a light, turn it on! : ( I 'm actually sad coz' I can't really run the rom.

Here I go.
I downloaded the SF 3rd striker using my .torrent client and mounted the image using the latest version of Daemon Tools (4.08HE) and when I try to start the rom, the emulator returns me a music player screen, just exactly if I had set a Music CD there.
Am I doing anything wrong? How can I run this rom here?

My video board is a 128 MB, no idea what is its name.
I got 768 ram memory and my windows is XP - Service Pack 2.

I also tried to use the mounted image in Chankast 0.25 and it returned me the same music player screen. What should I do?

Thanks, big hugs
All the best.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
1. The game is not selfboot. you need to either hack it to make it selfboot or use a bootdisc (does not always work)
2. Try the GdrImage plugin since it works with images without the need to mount them
3. The CD image is corrupt
4. Try DT 3.29 if at all possible.

OP
N

Nanado

Hello, fellow. Thanks for your help.
But I have no clue what that means. I am newbie into emulation stuffs.

Wat is selfboot, bootdisc, GdrImage Plugin ?
May you explain me? But try to be as clear as possible coz' I am a jackass, lol.

By the way, I tried the Deamon Tools 3.29 and it pops up a message saying "No language detected", then, I have to install the latest version or about it.

Thanks again, c'ya.

Agozer

Selfboot = a game can boot itself up without the aid of any other programs that have to be loaded prior to the game itself (e.g. a bootdisc).

Bootdisc = A disc with software that allows you to boot non-selfboot games. Like with normal computers, botodiscs bypass normal startup routines (like booting the OS in a PC or booting a game in a console) by running the software stored in the disc. On the Dreamcast and DC emulators alike, you first run the software on the bootdisc (by booting the bootdisc of course), and then switch in the game disc when prompted to do so. The software on the bootdisc handles the necessary stuff needed to get the game running, because the game disc doesn't not have that. Hence non-selfboot games vs. selfboot games.

GdrImage Plugin = Demul comes with two GD-ROM plugins that handle booting and running the game discs: GdrDemul and GdrImage. You can choose the active one via Config --> Bios & Plugins.

GdrDemul is geared toward using actual discs (or alternatively, CD images mounted in a virtual drive that emulates a DVD/CD-ROM drive). GdrImage on the other hand can work with CD images directly without having to mount them first. You can use the GdrImage plugin by first selecting it as the active plugin and then going to Config --> GD-ROM and choosing the CD image you want to use.

OP
N

Nanado

Hello, Agozer.
First of all, I would like to thank you AGAIN for the help you've been giving me.
Look, I did what you told me and runned the GdrImage Plugin. I got it! It's running now, but as 15 fps and the game is quite slow, plus I can't really see what is on the screen. I uess you can figure out how the things are, lol :)
Got any idea how to fix it? For example, when Ryu is gonna ''hadou-ken'' someone, it's like

Ha-ha-ha-ha-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-keeee,eeeee,eeeee,eeeen.
Quite weird, but you've given me a light! I guess I 'm on the right way.

If you have MSN, let me know, then we can talk live and it would be better.
C'ya!

OP
N

Nanado

Ow, another thing.
I downloaded the Chankast and It runs very well (Just the emulator), but I can't run the rom.

The initial screen "DreamCast, and that circle" runs very well, and then it returns me the music screen.
When I run the rom in Demul, it's already slow, even the "DreamCast, and that circle screen."

It may be a video config, may not it?
C'ya.

Agozer

In Demul, you need to change the CPU Mode to Dynarec. Demul defaults to Interpreter mode, which while being most most accurate and most compatible form of emulation, is also the slowest. Same goes with any other emulator that emulates 3D graphics hardware.

Dynarec (or rather Dynamic Recompilation) is much faster, but you might see reduced compatibility because of it. Note that Demul is slower than Chankast even with Dynarec. Chankast always uses Dynarec and it doesn't even have an option to change CPU emulation into Interpreter mode.

OP
N

Nanado

I changed the CPU Mode to Dynarec, or something like that and I got now 60 fps as average. Got better but still unable to play : (

Agozer

IIRC, Demul also defaults to use the GpuDx graphics plugin, which basically utilizes Direct3D for graphics rendering. Now, if your graphics hardware is very poor (like say, an integrated graphics chip manufactured by Intel, which is extremely poor in emulation) you will have problems.

Switch to the GpuOgl plugin (uses OpenGL instead of Direct3D) and see if that makes a difference.

OP
N

Nanado

Imma try to run it with Chankast, it seems to be a bit faster and Imma wait till the next version of Demul. How can I get the selfboot which you mentioned above?

OP
N

Nanado

MANNNNN, I did it, switched to the GPU Ogl and it's working too good now! Still slow, but I can see the screens, I can fight, you know, read the names "Ken, Ibuki"

It's playable now, but I would like to increase the speed. Is there any way?
Thanks again!

OP
N

Nanado

It works cool using the OPEN GL option. I can see the graphics ok now, But it's still slow. Is there any way to increase the speed? 20 FPS as average now.
My video board isn't that good though, I just figured out :/

Agozer

You might want to experiment with the Period Update and TMU Speed options, but don't expect a miracle.

OP
N

Nanado

Yep, I tried and it didn't work as I expected.
I will try to selfboot the SF 3rd Strike and run it using the Chankast. Can you get me one more hand about selfbooting? Is there any site where I can download it? Any tutorial? Thanks again.

Agozer

Like I said earlier, the easy way is to get a Dreamcast bootdisc somewhere (Utopia bootdisc seems to be what people are using the most. The hard(er) way is to modify the original image to make it selfboot.

It should be too hard to Google selfboot tutorials, but I haven't got any other advice to give you in that regard. This has been discussed on EmuTalk before, so search the board.