What's new

Newbie Section?

Minoru

Bozu
Although I don't usually see merit in attracting newbies, this might actually be a good idea, for newbies who don't know much about emulation to ask questions and get answers from the real experts. Here's the suggestion: Newbie Forum Section

A place for those who are new to emulation or don't understand much about emulation. After all, if 99.9% of the internet shuns newbies, then how will they get knowledge in these areas? To shun newbies is to doom them to being new always. And thus I believe it would be a good gesture to give them a place to turn to.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Minoru said:
After all, if 99.9% of the internet shuns newbies, then how will they get knowledge in these areas? To shun newbies is to doom them to being new always.
It doesn't shun newbies, it shuns n00bs. A newbie is a person with limited experience with the ability to learn and sometimes dig up information themselves, a n00b however is someone who is almost incapable of learning and you must spell everything out for them and they are also ungrateful jerks too.

Personally I loathe these type of people. In any case why do we need a forum just for new guys? What's wrong with the setup we have now? People post in the sub-forum of their choice questions already - go look in Project64's forum it is saturated with questions. So anything more would be redundant. Then we have the General forums where they can answer questions.

Theres also nothing stopping people using search services like Google and things like Wikipedia to find information.

Cobrax1884

Banned
scottJC said:
A newbie is a person with limited experience with the ability to learn and sometimes dig up information themselves
Really?
i thought that they are ppl that are new to a site/board.
anyways, i like the site as it is and i don't want a section like that.
You don't know something about an emulator?(let's take chankast for example)
Go and post in the chankast forum.I'm sure you'l get an answer.

Toasty

Sony battery
Ironic - I was just reading about all these definitions the other day. Wikipedia has an interesting page differentiating between newbies, newbs, nubs, noobs, n00bs, etc.

xneoangel

Persona User
You wouldnt need a newbie section here, if you have a question about something just ask in the corresponding board.

Anyway i find newbie, n00b discrimination as hipocrisy, i mean we all were newbies, n00bs at some stuff and we still are newbies, n00bs at some others, i.e. on IRC a lot of channels discriminate newbies, when a newbie asks a question on IRC a lot of people start saying get outta here you n00b(and that's being soft), i mean do they have a problem or they just don't want that community to grow?

Luckily emutalk is not like that.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
xneoangel said:
You wouldnt need a newbie section here, if you have a question about something just ask in the corresponding board.

Anyway i find newbie, n00b discrimination as hipocrisy, i mean we all were newbies, n00bs at some stuff and we still are newbies, n00bs at some others, i.e. on IRC a lot of channels discriminate newbies, when a newbie asks a question on IRC a lot of people start saying get outta here you n00b(and that's being soft), i mean do they have a problem or they just don't want that community to grow?

Luckily emutalk is not like that.
I do want the community to grow, but not grow in stupidity, there are some members we can do without... think of it this way, if you are sitting on IRC for 8 hours and every 10 minutes some guy somes in asking "how do i install pj64?" - you would get tired of it FAST. Now imagine you give these people the answer in its simplist form and they came back and said something like "but it won't install!!! help maaaeee!!!!!11111" it starts becoming head banging work. This my friend is what i'd call a n00b.

A n00b to me is a super-newbie, it is someone who cannot do anything by themselves you would practically have to dress and bathe them in real life because they are so stupid. They ask you questions that are basic ones and then fail to follow your instructions when you give them the easiest answer you can think of. Some people shouldn't own a computer, its a miracle these people even manage to make it on IRC or emutalk.

I like helping occasionally but when it becomes a chore I just get pissed off and these super-newbies try my paitence too much. The less of these idiots around the better. Let me rephrase it: A n00b is more or less a child of the internet, who knows almost nothing about pretty much everything computer related - a n00b possesses all the obnoxiousness and annoyance that children do and most of them even act like chidren (perhaps because most of them are?) - They are also ungrateful bastards and I couldn't care less about any of them.

I'll let the comic do the rest (its about a n00b in a game but the underlying concept counts):

20060823.jpg

Last edited:

Cobrax1884

Banned
HAHAHAHAHA. THAT COMIC IS SOOO FUNNY:D
"i've been playing this game for 6 years, I KNOW what i'm doing"
"this game has been out only for a month..."
:p Now that's what i like to call a super-noob

xneoangel

Persona User
Ok ScottJC i get your point but what i mean is that there are some communities that when one person who is willing to learn asks a question and they just tell him n00b get out.

I mean if everyone knew the differences between a n00b and newb it would be much better but most people think those 2 words mean the same thing and treat this people as sh*t, and IMO that is not ok.

Well at least that is my opinion.

N00bs acts like little kids man....they don't take things more seriously they're such fools.....they can't dig up information themselves. Anyway in my opinion, we shouldn't have a newbie section

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The sections Emutalk has now are more than enough for people who ask questions. I don't mind stupid questions, but when it's obvious that somebody hasn't even bothered to seach for an answer either by checking the manual or searching the board, then I think it's only fair that we educate them proper (even if it means doing it the hard way).

Human beings learn by doing, reading and listening.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
To each their own but personally no thanks, I did enough of that a year or so back when I was admin of a small irc network, sat on a help channel helping people with really basic irc stuff and it got tiresome repeating myself constantly - I even had scripts to make it go faster but half the time I had to elabourate because they didn't understand what the heck the "/" IN the command meant.

Needless to say that wore me out, it got old fast and one day I just thought screw this i'm not wasting my day helping a bunch of retards who should've read the damn manual. Educate all you like but I think you'll find the more you help these type of people the more they depend on you to spell it out for them, need to teach them to fend for themselves more.

Humans learn by doing yes, reading yes but why bother looking information up if theres a bunch of saps like you (no offence) ready and waiting to spoon feed them the answers? ;)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I certainly won't spoonfed anything when they don't bother searching one bit themselves. My point was that I'll make it very clear that they haven't done anything to help themselves. Sure, I'll push them in the right direction, but that's it.

WhiteX

A newbie section will easily become the "Dreaded ROM requesting Forum of endless questions and repeated answers."

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It's quite simple. No newbie section is necessary. I vote no.
Read the faqs and manuals, then search the forum and you'll likely to get a lot of information. If that doesn't help, post in appropriate section and someone will help. How hard can it be?