What's new

Way to approach hle emulation?

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
how would i approach hle emulation?

For instance, say i wanted to emulate only super mario64 on the pc, or in other words only emulate what the individual rom needs rather than the whole system....kinda like ultra hle?

Im not doing a n64 emu yet...but it was the best way to explain what i would like to know :D

Thanks guys

synch

HLE is more likely to emulating what the libraries used by the game are supposed to do.

If you want only to support one game, look for patterns in the code you are supposed to emulate but ignore (in the case of the Nintendo64, there wasn't much RDP documentation, so the best way, was rather than emulating it, looking for RDP patterns, and just make whatever they were supposed to do), and just fake what the game is supposed to do on that code block.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
You basically replace sdk library/game engine functions with your own code that does the same. To do that, detect where the function is in the rom by scanning through the instructions. Look for the first 10 or so, and when you find a patch, patch them to call your own function instead. It's pretty simple in theory, though quite tedious as times..

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Yeah, it's pretty much like Shizzie says. I don't know how it's done in N64 emus because I don't know jack s@#% about N64. I'm only familiar with how it's done with Xbox (so forgive me if I am wrong). These functions are often found at specific locations within the library. What you do is when the emu calls that function, you instead use a function you have written yourself.