What's new

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon Trouble

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Known issues. Use another video plugin/emulator or wait until Project64 1.7 goes public.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
N64 plugins are interchangeble between N64 emulators that use plugins. Whether or not a plugin works for you depends on your hardware and the game in question.

Iconoclast

Forgive the old thread update, but I got the solution to all this game's problems, except for a blender issue with the logo and a rare triangle flickering issue.

I remember, Clements beat me in an argument a long time ago about the cause of this game's speed issue! I have returned with revenge in my hands!
Known issues. Use another video plugin/emulator or wait until Project64 1.7 goes public.
Everyone thinks 1.7's the solution to everybody's problems. Jabo's the author of the last plugin I'd expect to see Faster Loading Tiles enability in, yet independence has obviously paid off.

The emulator I do not think matters. Just use Azimer's HLE plugin.

Use Rice's Video Plugin 5.9.9 with the below configuration:

Code:
{21cbbcfc6b3c9072-45}
Name=MYSTICAL NINJA
AccurateTextureMapping=1
NormalAlphaBlender=2
NormalColorCombiner=1
FastLoadTile
AlternativeTxtSizeMethod=1
RenderToTexture=3
ScreenUpdateSetting=6
CRC header may vary based on user's ROM version. Be sure to update this.

Disabling accurate texture mapping transforms badly mixed/'blinded' bitmaps into nicely-pixelated textures.

Forcing normal alpha blender on will fix proper alpha channel in texture smoothing in some occasions.

Forcing normal color combiner on will show the projection image behind the text in the mode before you press Start, but will cause coloration problems and should therefore be disabled.

Faster Loading Tiles is the primary fix for these slowdowns. I have yet to see any side effects of it, but I have found that this setting seems to prevent these mysterious slowdowns. I have also later on found that it was already in Rice's version of the 5.9.9 config...beat me to it, but this was the only option set.

Alternative texture calculation will fix the base status bar, show heart shadows and fix some of the texture mapping.

Basic rendering-to-texture emulation is the minimal setting needed to properly show the menu option borders in the Use Controller Pak? screen AND to fix the flickering on the left.

Screen Update: Before Clear the Screen is the fastest setting for this plugin and will create a bit of a boost in speed by about 20 VI/s or so I think. If you want to test game with "Force Buffer Clear" on, be sure to set this option back to "VI Origin Change" or above.

If you use 6.1.1 instead, similar results, but the sky will look like shit in some areas and some other texture rendering flaws.

*ninja leaps into sky and out of sight*

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Similar stuff seem to happen on other games too (ie: Shadowgate) with new versions of Rice's plugin. Texture, combiner type and rendering engine related options can affect most of these problems. "Faster Loading Tiles" seems broken on newer versions of Rice's plugin though (corruption)...

Iconoclast

Similar stuff seem to happen on other games too (ie: Shadowgate) with new versions of Rice's plugin. Texture, combiner type and rendering engine related options can affect most of these problems. "Faster Loading Tiles" seems broken on newer versions of Rice's plugin though (corruption)...
A lot of things are, like frame buffer emulation (crashes with Basic Framebuffer and stronger on Star Wars RS and many other games), rendering to texture (Basic & Write Back and stronger), and accurate texture mapping and force buffer clear operations are done much differently. In some cases, these 'corruptions' seem to fix other games and make them stronger in turn.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Indeed. :)

When it comes to combiner types, choosing Pixel Shaders will not make things better sometimes (on both DX and OGL). The rest combiner types are there since ages, are by far more tested and might perform better on some cases. Note that there are also cases where different cards and driver sets perform better or worse (an older card can work better than newer ones on some cases). This can also make things better or worse when using some options. ;)

Iconoclast

Meh, I'm weak when it comes to that stuff. I mean, understanding the general game emulation settings under tab Current Game Options, I can see how options like Normal Alpha Blender/Color Combiner will interact with these sorts of settings you mention (forcing use or nonuse of particular subfunctions of these combiner types), but I've never really played around with them much. Perhaps it might help some GIF recording....