What's new

Problem with graphics card

¿°¿

I'm having a kind of weird problem with Jnes 0.6 and my Matrox Millennium II graphics card. When I start Jnes with my resolution set to 1024x768x32 or 1152x864x32, it says: "DirectDraw: Failed to create render target" and exits. Now you might think it's because I'm out of video memory or it doesn't support that high resolution, but the strange part is, it WILL work if I set the resolution higher than that. And it works fine on all other resolution/color combinations (like 1024x768x24). It's not much of a bother, because I can just change it when it starts then change it back, so I'm just reporting that it does that.

Note: It does this on my other computer if I put this graphics card in it, so I'm sure it's not a directx problem.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, it does not do this on some older versions of Jnes (works in 0.3, haven't tried other versions)

Jabo

Emulator Developer
¿°¿ said:
I'm having a kind of weird problem with Jnes 0.6 and my Matrox Millennium II graphics card. When I start Jnes with my resolution set to 1024x768x32 or 1152x864x32, it says: "DirectDraw: Failed to create render target" and exits. Now you might think it's because I'm out of video memory or it doesn't support that high resolution, but the strange part is, it WILL work if I set the resolution higher than that. And it works fine on all other resolution/color combinations (like 1024x768x24). It's not much of a bother, because I can just change it when it starts then change it back, so I'm just reporting that it does that.

Note: It does this on my other computer if I put this graphics card in it, so I'm sure it's not a directx problem.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, it does not do this on some older versions of Jnes (works in 0.3, haven't tried other versions)

My long term advice would be to upgrade your video card if it is the Matrox Millenium II with 4 megs of video memory (i forget how much memory these had, let me know in any case)... just between the two of us its hard to support legacy hardware like this on top of providing the features people with a Pentium 4 and 2 gigs of RAM expect.

In the short term I might be able to fix this, can you try 0.5.3 ? that should work. In recent versions of Jnes I removed the capability when this failure occurs to switch to system memory - the reason for this was simple - allocating in system memory is HUGE performance hit, so I could never be sure what the heck was wrong when someone said Jnes was slow....

let me know, if 0.5.3 works for you it might just tempt me to put that compatibility back in

Last edited: