What's new

360 Controller

andycpj

I'm running Vista 32 bit and I plugged in a USB XBox 360 controller. I downloaded the newest driver from Microsoft, but I can't find any options under "game device" in the settings. Right now, the computer seems to be recognizing the controller (it beeps when I take it out or put it in) but the emulator doesn't see it. I can't find anything else on the forums or the user manual about this.
Any suggestions? And thanks in advance!
:cheers:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Try the XBCD drivers, they are much better than the original Microsoft ones and support the USB Version of the XB360 controller. Try it and give a response.

OP
A

andycpj

I was using a wireless controller, but since it was plugged in I figured it wouldn't make a difference. I downloaded the XBCD drivers and installed them, but nothing was happening yet, so I switched to my crap Mad Catz controller, and now it seems to be working okay. It's a bit screwy playing Zelda on a 360 controller because it's so different from the 64 controller, but it's working, and the analog stick is nice.
Thanks for your help!

ThomasH

The other option is the original X box drivers and a older version of Nrage that had support for them. This is what I do and it works great.

Truth Unknown

Not really, for emulation on controls with odd button layouts yes its sucks. Other than that, it's a good way to standardize controls and not delay a user from playing a game.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
no its not dude, its already been explained to me why it is bad. Xinput is more severely limited then Dinput is. For example, the only pressure sensitive buttons on xinput is the triggers, where the Dinput drivers can use pressure sensitivity on any button as long as enough Analogue axis's are available to place it on.

Last edited:

ThomasH

XBCD has problems for many. Some controllers it does not like working with. Some systems you have to start messing around getting USB settings and for some it simply does not work. Or for some people they are just happy with Xinput as it does what they want and there just looking for an easy to use plugin that uses it. For many Xinput is the way to go. I use it as XBCD does not support all my computer hardware so its easy just to standardize and as far as the N64 goes it only has two analogue axis.

Truth Unknown

no its not dude, its already been explained to me why it is bad. Xinput is more severely limited then Dinput is. For example, the only pressure sensitive buttons on xinput is the triggers, where the Dinput drivers can use pressure sensitivity on any button as long as enough Analogue axis's are available to place it on.

The controller is what's limited, not XInput. 11 buttons (Including the Guide), 2 control sticks on 4 axis, a D-pad and 2 pressure sensitive triggers. XInput is designed for the controller and it's driver was designed to use XInput. Microsoft should have designed the driver to work with DInput just as well as XInput, but they didn't. (And that's what XBCD should be getting into with Xbox 360 Controllers and possibly giving XInput support for Original.)

The point of Xinput and the Xbox 360 controller is to keep things simple, a common controller with a defined layout and function with one API. To require less tweaks, less setup and less confusion for the user to go and play. It's not to replace DirectInput for what it was, it was replace the inconsistent variations of controllers in layout and function which were tied into an API that was never used completely.

Besides, its not like DirectInput and XInput are the only APIs for the job.

Last edited: