What's new

Using No$GBA for FFTA

nanit

Ok, I'm getting pretty into Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (I was previously playing on VBA) and I wanted to link at some point.

I've downloaded something that already converts Save Files from VBA into no$gba, and it actually works. My problem is getting no$gba to open up two instances of the game, using the save file. How does this work?

I.e. do I have to name the save files for each "instance" of the game specific things? Or with specific file extensions? And has anyone done this with FFTA before, i.e. is this going to work? :)

Recently it's just been crashing on me when I try to load FFTA in no$gba, so all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
N

nanit

More information:

When I set up all the settings, everything works normally, but once I try to increase the # of gameboys emulated I get a fatal error:

"The rom-image has crashed."

Thanks

OP
N

nanit

Thanks...

Seriously, thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't bother with no$gba if it didn't work. I tried VBA Link once before, and then found out the linking mechanism is not compatible with that program, for FFTA at least. Read it off a list I believe.

Bleh, any other points. Thanks for trying at least. :)

OP
N

nanit

Sigh

I suppose you didn't actually try to trade anything between the two files, did you? :) Hehe, seems no link works for FFTA yet, as far as I can tell.

From the VBA link forums:

"~ The emulator does not seem to link with Final Fantasy Tactics, why is this?
It uses a special link transfer type, known as 'General Purpose' linking. It is the most Raw of the link types, where you are able to assign values directly to the wires and read them. Few games use this, but Final Fantasy Tactics Advance happens to be one of them. Expect VBALink to have it at some point in the future though. "

OP
N

nanit

Wow...

That's amazing, really, thanks for the effort.

Would you mind explaining exactly what you did at each step? If it's not too much trouble, because I wasn't able to duplicate your results. :)

If you could just post it, or PM me, that'd work. Also, you could just PM and we could talk via AIM if that's easier.

Thanks a bunch mate,
Nathan

snesmaster40

Hmm...

- I'm using VBALink 1.72 LSEb

1) I created two save files, 1st save file FFTA.sa1, 2nd one FFTA.sa2
2) I loaded up two VBA windows
3) I loaded up FFTA on both windows
4) Loaded up my save file on both windows
5) On the world map screen, I pressed Start and then went to link on both windows
6) I then went to Team Up
7) Then when it started scanning, I just started pressing the Start button on both windows. (note: I'm not sure if you have to do this)
8) Then it said that it was able to connect and that one of the players should choose a mission
9) And that was it really

OP
N

nanit

Wow, thanks for going through all the trouble man. :)

Once I find that specific build of VBA Link, I'll basically owe you my soul.

Thanks so much!