What's new

Turbo Mode

DrSpock

Is there any way to emulate a turbo controller, so that by just holding down a button it will be like pushing it very very fast? I cannot get that last jigsaw peice in Banjo-Tooie otherwise!! Does Project64 have this capability?

Allnatural

Not with the default input plugin (Jabo's). N-Rage's plugin supports rapid fire, but you'll need to create a modifier to use it.

OP
D

DrSpock

Where would I get that?

Where would I get that? And how do you create a modifier? I don't know much about the emulator.

OP
D

DrSpock

The version of Project 64 I have already has N-Rage's Plugin apparently. I still, however, do not know how to make it act like a turbo controller.

Allnatural

I'll admit the process is a tad cumbersome, but with a little experimentation I'm sure anyone can figure it out. I'll try to give a quick run-down:

• go to the Modifiers tab
  • click New Modifier
  • click on your new modifier (left pane), set mod type to Macro (right pane)
  • click Assign Mod, press the button on your controller for which you want turbo, and check the appropriate box in the right pane (the N64 button that will be turbo)
  • click Rapid Fire Mode, click Apply Changes
  • go to the main configuration tab (Controls) and unassign the button for which you are making turbo (click the configuration button, and then press Escape

If you want to disable turbo, you need to go back to your modifier, uncheck Rapid Fire Mode and click Apply Changes.

The modifiers offer a great deal of flexibilty. For instance, if you gamepad has sufficient buttons, you could create a 'standard' button and a 'turbo' button for the same function, but I'll leave that to you to figure out...

OP
D

DrSpock

I'm not using a gamepad to play, just a keyboard. I created a modifier like you suggested, and set it to a different button than the one without the modifier, but it does nothing when I press it. Does this have something to do with either of the two toggle buttons? What are those for exactly?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The Rapid Fire checkbox tells the input plugin that it should execute rapid fire with this key, depending on another thing: Toggle button. If checked, then the button for the modifier toggles the autofire (ie, you press the button to activate it and then press it again to deativate it). If unchecked, then you need to hold down that button.
I hope that helps.

OP
D

DrSpock

It seems to have no effect either way. I push the button and it acts like any ordinary button, not a rapid fire one. I don't think its the game because I've heard people have used rapid fire controllers for this game on the N64... Maybe its making it too rapid for the game to even register, is that possible?

Hasn't anyone here used an emulator to play Banjo-Tooie before? There has to be some way to do this!

Last edited:

4real

What part of the game are u trying to get the jiggy at can you post your eep save(native) and i have a look what u trying to do.

OP
D

DrSpock

I'm trying to beat Canary Mary the second time around (in Cloud Cookooland). Its the only part of this game I have never been able to beat, thus I can't get the last Cheato Page or Jiggy. I know people have come up with all kinds of crazy methods to try and push the A button really fast, but I'd rather not break my keyboard just to beat a videogame, and I'd like to use a turbo mode instead to do it.

Also, how would I post a savegame?

Last edited:

4real

Canary mary is hard to beat but can be done useing both A and B buttons at the same time its more with movement than speed is the secret.

To try and use the turbo mode you need to create a new modifer.

1: GO into modifers and click new modifer.
2: click mod type macro
3:click assign mod and pick a key
4:click rapid fire
5:click apple changes.

When trying to beat Mary press the mod key at the same time as clicking a and b buttons.

To put the save up go into the save's folder in pj64 dir and make a copy of ya banjo tooie save then paste on desktop and zip it up.

Put it on an attachment.

Last edited:
OP
D

DrSpock

Why should I press A and B? You only need to hit A to make the mouse go. And what is the point of a turbo button if you have to still tap a key a thousand times also? I don't really understand what your strategy is. Maybe you're thinking of a different game where you have to hit A and B to make a cart go or something, but that's not what you do here.

Also, I know how to make a backup zip file, I don't know how to upload an attachment on this forum.

Last edited:

4real

Yes you are right you only have to press the a button but the game is made that mary slows down at the same time as you by pressing the b button u get the right speed and movement that helps you win her.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to beat her (you can't make the mouse car faster).

The rapid turbo method will not make the cart go faster as mary goes faster when you do and slower when you do more info on how to beat her is added to my faq.

Yes i do know what game u playing.

Last edited:
OP
D

DrSpock

Pushing B doesn't do anything in the race. I'm 100% sure that it does nothing. If you want to go slower, you simply press A less fast for a little bit. I know of this strategy I've read it all over the internet. The point is, I don't want to have to destroy my keyboard to win the stupid race twice. I just want to hold down a turbo button. I've read that turbo buttons work on the N64 to beat the race.

Are there are plugins with a turbo fire that works? I mean, its been what, almost 10 years since the N64 came out, and there has to be a viable method to use turbo mode on an emulator to get this to work.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The method as explained above DOES work. But in some games (or in some cases?) it doesn't work...
For that "race," you just need to turbo into the goal. I did that with a turbo controller on the real thing a long time ago.
DrSpock, try other games and see if it's the config that's wrong.

4real

DrSpock said:
Pushing B doesn't do anything in the race. I'm 100% sure that it does nothing. If you want to go slower, you simply press A less fast for a little bit. I know of this strategy I've read it all over the internet. The point is, I don't want to have to destroy my keyboard to win the stupid race twice. I just want to hold down a turbo button. I've read that turbo buttons work on the N64 to beat the race.

Are there are plugins with a turbo fire that works? I mean, its been what, almost 10 years since the N64 came out, and there has to be a viable method to use turbo mode on an emulator to get this to work.

Im not 100% sure but i don't think the rapid fire works on the emu like it did on the real thing, hence the method.

Yes b button does not do anything but gives u a steady speed so you don't go to fast at the start of the race.

I will look into the turbo mode more.

OP
D

DrSpock

The turbo works in other games, just not in Banjo Tooie. If it was working correctly I wouldn't need a "method", and all you'd have to do would be hold down the A button.

This is very frustrating! Is there any way to adjust the value of how fast the emulator is telling the game it is pressing the button? Maybe its going too fast to be read by the game.

Last edited:

4real

Yes i understand that the turbo works in other games i was saying it does not work in banjo tooie.

I can't seem to find my save for Cloud Cookooland part of the game if anyone could attach a save it would help alot.

A lot of this is from memory and need to test the result with out going threw a lot of the game.

OP
D

DrSpock

I still don't know how to attach something to a post. I see the atachment tab, but its empty.