What's new

Which Emu?

Jordan84

I'm sure you get this question all the time but it's impossible to find a definitive answer, opions will do fine here :)

I know nothing about Emus but I build and repair computers so I'm not completely useless.

I had GiriGiri working on my old XP 2500+ (overclocked) with 1GB RAM and a 9600 Pro. I played Shining Force 3 and another test game from CDROM no problem but put it on the backburner after that. I was only ever interested incase I decided to sell my Saturn + games or the saturn packed in.

Now I have an A64 3000+ (hopefully will be going dual-core soon) with 1GB RAM and a lowly X300SE PCI-E (which I will hopefully be upgrading to a 6600GT or X800XL). It's been a while since I looked into the Emu scene so have there been any improvements? SFF10 worth trying out for my system? I heard Satourne was due a major release?

One thing which got me wondering was the dual-core issue. I understand the Saturn was nutoriusly difficult to program for as it had several CPUs. Will a dual-core system improve performance or would an Emu have to be specifically coded to take advantage of SMP? Does Intel's Hyper Threading show any significant improvements?