What's new

Dreamcast Um.. Dead?

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
So I have this problem. I have a dreamcast, actually 2 dreamcasts now, but we'll get to that in a minute.

A few weeks ago, I bought new controls for my dreamcast, liscensed SEGA controls, from the same second hand video game shop I bought a lot of other quality merchendise at. I bring them home, plug one in, start playing DreamSNES, no problem. My brother comes in, I ask him if he wants to play, I plug in control 2, restart the DC, and BAM, boots up, doesnt recognize there are any controls plugged in. So i take them out, try them again, restart, swear, slam around, and finally decide, well, it was a used dreamcast and its 2 years old, it probably just finally died.

So i get on Ebay, order a new one, like, brand new actually, in the box, all things in shrink wrap bags and twist ties still. Take it to Myrtle Beach with me, play it for 2 days, and BAM, the SAME THING HAPPENS. Playing NesterDC, in the middle of a game of Tetris, the Dreamcast complete stops recognizing that there are controls plugged in.

So now, I have 2 dreamcasts, neither of which sees controls are plugged in, and both of which work fine otherwise. My question is, has anyone ever heard of this happening before, is there some kind of hard reset i can throw on the motherboard to see if I can kick the thing back to default? I can't even find any occurances of this with Google, it seems I'm the only one on the planet this has ever happened to, so any help here would be appriciated.

OP
Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Well, nevermind, It seems sega included a check transistor on the controller board, that is supposed to help it from overloading, but because its a low ohm, it actually gives it a decent chance of overloading, twisting the resistor until the metal connectors touch to bypass the circuit fixes the problem and I now have 2 working dreamcasts again. Thanks anyways folks.