What's new

Zelda Wind Waker and Zelda '05?

WaterMelon34

I heard that they are making the new Zelda game using the Wind Waker engine so wouldn't that mean that if Dolphin could run Wind Waker properly then Zelda '05 should run atleast semi-ok? Or would the fact of it being based on the same engine be not important for compatability? :huh:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Mario Sunshine uses the same engine as Wind Waker, and that doesn't run nearly as well. Are you sure the next Zelda is using the same engine though? Looks to support much more advanced effects, possibly it's an updated version of it.

OP
W

WaterMelon34

It's an updated version of the engine... It doesn't make sense to me that Mario Sunshine can't run properly while Wind Waker can. I mean, what does it depend on? Have the guys programming Dolphin just not gotten around to doing anything for Mario Sunshine, or does it just not work for some reason?

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
WaterMelon34 said:
It's an updated version of the engine... It doesn't make sense to me that Mario Sunshine can't run properly while Wind Waker can. I mean, what does it depend on? Have the guys programming Dolphin just not gotten around to doing anything for Mario Sunshine, or does it just not work for some reason?

I'm guessing they put a different twist on the same engine, I mean, wasn't it made by two different development teams? They probably put on the twist to not get the Cel-Shaded effect or something; I wouldn't know. :x

As for the new Zelda, nobody knows what it's engine is like; best wait until it's released, hmm? ^_^

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Well, the engine is a sort of "technology" of Nintendo. They've used it for multiple games of varying genres and styles, such as Mart kart DD, Wind Waker, Mario SS, and Pikmin 1 and 2. The cel shading is just a lighting technique created with pixel shaders, a pretty simple effect that can be tacked on to any engine. Like I said, the new Zelda could very well be the same engine (J3D), but it'd need some serious modifications.

Fool

Me
Are you sure new zelda will use the same engine? WW is more cel shading I think
and new zelda is so realistic. WW looks a little like manga/anime and new zelda
looks like real life

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
More or less. Just because it's not realistic doesn't make it simple.. and vice versa.

@fool, cel shading is very simple, it's just an effect which can be applied to any model. Add a cartoon texture, and voila.

edit: kinna contradict myself there, but that's not the point. There's much more to the WW engine than just cel shading.

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
According to GameCube Europe, October 2005. But that could just be speculation, most other sites merelly suggest "4th quarter '05". But Nintendo has it's reputations for messing with dates >_<

Glenbo

Banned
engine is nothing t do with graphics whats so ever as far as textures go...the models and dynamics stay true..but what they are masked with doesent matter atall...as long as the cube can dispaly it...the game engine is litrally as it sounds...the way it plays..the controls will be simular...the gameplay simular...but as far as details go...they could make quake 1 look like soul calibur style textures...but the engine will run the game in the same way...a modified engine or tweaked engine means it will be simular...not the same. also more textures more fps means bad news for emulation....and considering i havent managed to run one gc game on dolphin yet (dumbass n00b :) ) i couoldnt really say on that lol.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Not if Nintendo optimized it well enough to perform as good as Wind Waker (for example) o.- there's still hope...

Cyber$nake

well the videos from E3 said that they totally modified and optimized the engine to the point where its practically not the same.

Miretank

Lurking
Cybertronic said:
The New Zelda: Twilight Princess, will make EVERY CPU and GPU cry when we try to emulate it!!! :cry:

hehehehehe, you're right. i think no emulator will run this one. it's better to buy a gamecube itself.

Pky

It looks you have a lot of hopes raksmey...imagine 20 years later.... really..... when that game is going to work i think there'll be better games for cpu...the cpu is for cpu games not for gc's ones..