What's new

VBA and hq3x/hq4x?

Spacy

I wish I would have much more spare time...
Since I don't want to use all my free time for VBA coding, it really lasts long till I can show results.
Please keep this in mind everybody.
Moreover, I'm no professional developer (I'm only 16 years old ;) ), but I give it all I've got.

WhiteX

Spacy said:
I wish I would have much more spare time...
Since I don't want to use all my free time for VBA coding, it really lasts long till I can show results.
Please keep this in mind everybody.
Moreover, I'm no professional developer (I'm only 16 years old ;) ), but I give it all I've got.

go live your life, kid, no sweat, you already did great so far, if you are in the mood, code a little if you are not, go back to chase girls!:p

Spacy

New WIP release

Hi @all
Since the ngEmu board is down ("expired") I will post my new release here :p

Lately, I have been in the "mood" for coding, so I continued with VBA, anyway I dumped some crazy changes I made a while ago, because I totaly messes up the app back then xD

Now to the interesting part. pokemonhacker made some changes to the CVS code, and these come ON TOP of beta 3, so it is newer than that. I described those changes in the change log.

Remeber, this is a WIP (Work-In-Progress) Version, not a a stable one. Tell me, if you find some easy bugs in the application (that do not cover emulation itself xD)

So now here is the change log, everything between << >> has changed from the last WIP version.

S1.7.7:
- Fixed 3 Bugs in Gameboy Mono Color Picker
- Added Color Set: Real Colors
(Thanks to TheCloudOfSmoke)
- Rearranged source code
- Removed "Use old synchronization" option
- Added Config Dialog (this will be an alternative to the menu)
- Added Audio Tab to the config dialog
- Added more Tabs to the config dialog
- Menu cleanup
- Added changes of official VBA 1.8.0 beta3 (including the huge core changes)
- Fixed "Always creating empty registry key"
- Removed unused Motion Blur Magnification Filter source file
- Removed unused Interlacing Interframe Blending
- Removed video mode confirmation Dialog
- Removed DirectDraw and OpenGL (Use Direct3D instead)
- VSync and TripleBuffering is applied to Direct3D
- Optimized Direct3D code
- Thanks to the new core, full optimization works now
- Reworked directory select dialog (Using Hans Dietrich's XBrowseForFolder
- Reworked pixel filter interface for better 3x/4x and Pixel Shader integration
<<
- Switching the menu bar does not take ages in D3D full screen
- Applied official CVS changes from January 19, 2006
- - GB: fixed initial values for registers (tested on hardware)
- - GB: added bugs on purpose that exist in hardware
- - GB: added 'genericflashcard' option
- - GB: added gbDrawLine()
- - GB: fixed GB cheats compare code
- - miscellaneous fixes
- Code cleanup
- Updated Minizip component to version 1.01e
- New color themes only get applied if not in GBC/SGB mode
>>

Finally, the files:

Additional DirectX Runtime DLL (copy into VBA folder if needed)
http://www.magicstone.de/spacy/VBA/WIP20062101/d3dx9_28.7z

Executable
http://www.magicstone.de/spacy/VBA/WIP20062101/VBAS_BIN_WIP20062101.7z

Complete Source Code
http://www.magicstone.de/spacy/VBA/WIP20062101/VBAS_SRC_WIP20062101.7z

Best things in life are for free ;)

Last edited:

Spacy

Hi, I have a little favor to ask.

I want to include kode54's changes form the following site:
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2248&start=0

But I just can't apply his patch.
So if anyone likes to get some credits into VBA :drool: , just apply that patch to the original 1.7.2 VBA source and send me the whole package to Spacy51 ath gmx.de

I would really appreciate this.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Spacy said:
I still need kode54's package.

Please, anybody!
Aerdan from the Zboard was kind enough to point out that you need to get Cygwin and install the 'patch' utility.

Although kode said something along the lines that his version is against a particular CVS version and not 1.7.2 or any other build for that matter. I don't know if that makes a difference though.

smcd

Spacy said:
I still need kode54's package.

Please, anybody!

If you can't/don't get cygwin or whatever I'll try and do it tomorrow at work. Are you sure it's the 1.7.2 sources needed for the diff patch?

Spacy

GnuWin sucked, the exe didn't react. I didn't tried CygWin, but I used a Linux LiveDVD (Knoppix). I used "patch -p < vba.patch" in the origninal 1.7.2 source folder. I even tried numbers behind -p, but it always complains about not finding the source files.

It would be really nice if you could do this for me.

Please try to use it with the 1.7.2 build, despite I think the patch was built against a 1.8.0 beta version, because there aren't any official sources of the betas, only CVS ones.

EDIT:
I also tried it now with CygWin, but still I get error messages, although some files actually got patched. Somehow I have the feeling that kode54's patch has errors. Has anyone got kode64's ICQ number or his e-mail adress?

Last edited:

ShadowDamien

Shadow's Secret Clone
I am completely lost in what half of this stuff is but if you guys make the VBA better, I like alot.

One other thing, I got a slower compy due to a virus I just got rid of and I haven't got the money to fix it. Whenever I put on sound, the thing skips about every 20 secs. Any way to fix??? I don't know what version I have and this is on a compy with no internet!!!! >.<

Spacy

Try to close all background applications (system monitors, virus scanners, etc.)
Maybe this helps. If it does, try to figure out what software exactly causes the skips.

ShadowDamien

Shadow's Secret Clone
Spacy said:
Try to close all background applications (system monitors, virus scanners, etc.)
Maybe this helps. If it does, try to figure out what software exactly causes the skips.

Itwas my spyware scans... thanks!!

M[u]ddy

Here is a small comparison of several VBA-Mods(speed without frameskip):

VBA S:

hq3x(40%):
vbas3x8ue.jpg

hq4x(30%):
vbas4x7ke.jpg

Smooth 6.5:

hq3x(70%):
smooth3x3rg.jpg

hq4x(45%):
smooth4x1nw.jpg

Re-Recording:

hq3x(75%):
rr3x5lg.jpg

hq3xs(80%):
rr3xs7ml.jpg

To sum up:
VBA S is very slow and some areas are done badly(take a clother look at the desks)
Smooth is faster and makes the bad areas right but therefore the right areas wrong( for example the floor).
Re-Recording is the fastest but has no hq4x and hq3x look same as in VBA S.
Therefore is has hq3xS, which is even faster and makes the desks like in Smooth and the floor like in VBA S.

Last edited:

suanyuan

Why not try lastest version of VBA smooth? v4.5 is quite old, and since v5.0 VBA smooth using filter plugin system that can run much better than before.

M[u]ddy

suanyuan said:
Why not try lastest version of VBA smooth? v4.5 is quite old, and since v5.0 VBA smooth using filter plugin system that can run much better than before.
Oooops.
It's just a typing error:p
Off course i used 6.5.

Spacy

HiHo.

I will abandon VBA-S for a while (forever?) since I decided to take on the official build. At the moment, I strongly reworked the graphcis output system, leaving the pixel fitlers untouched. I think suanyuan's idea of using Kega Fusion's pixel filtering system is much better, since the filters already seem to be optimized and tested thoroughfuly.