What's new

how do i get a music file from a rom

aidynphoenix

aidynphoenixhotmail.com
i got permission to get 10 seconds of a song from a rom but i dont know how 2 get it is thier a program for this??? or is it possible?

BGNG

Firstly, if done correctly, recording off of a computer with a good emulator is indistinguishable from the real thing. Secondly, ripping the data from a ROM won't have any ending either.

Toasty

Sony battery
Also, many emulators have the option to record audio to a .wav file built in, making the process very simple. Did you check at Zophar's? They have quite a few entire soundtracks there for a variety of systems (and since the sound isn't waveform sound and is still emulated, the files are much smaller than .wavs or MP3s). If you must rip the sound instructions separately by yourself, you need to specify what system the ROMs are for. Ripping .spc files from a SNES ROM is usually as simple as a couple menu clicks at the right time, while ripping .usf files from an N64 ROM is much more complicated. Be specific about what you want to do.

OP
A

aidynphoenix

aidynphoenixhotmail.com
yes i did look there and i didnt find any for the game aidyn chronicles the first mage. is thier a program where i can load a rom and then it will show me the music files on it than i can get em from the rom cause i need a full song so i can choose 10 secs of it and i would like it to be better quality than a wav recorded song plz tell me if this is possible

smcd

To convert from the special file format to a more usable one, you can use winamp's out_disk.dll output plugin to convert to WAV.

Toasty

Sony battery
Unfortunately, Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage is an N64 title and ripping sound from an N64 ROM (in USF format) is still an enormous pain in the hind end. You can go to http://hcs.freeshell.org/usf.html to learn about ripping USFs, but it is not for the faint of heart. The FAQ itself states:
I really, really hate to discourage anyone, but the truth is that I can barely understand the process myself, much less explain it. All the other rippers you've seen already had experience with PSF rippping or N64 hacking. I really can't even point you to anything to learn short of saying "study MIPS assembly and start hacking games".
It's obviously possible, but you'll either have to get tons of learning, experience and hard work under your belt first before you can even begin, or wait for someone else to do it.