What's new

...Finally Buying a Computer... This Any Good?

Shpongled

News Junkie
Hey guys,

I know there's lots of computer experts in these forums, so I thought I'd ask your advice.

I was thinking of buying either the middle or right-most computer in the following link.
http://www.atec.co.th/gamer_pc.html

The 19,000 baht (roughly 490~ U.S.) looks like an interesting deal, but it uses a processor called an "AMD Sempron?" I've never heard of that... For 200 more dollars I can get an AMD 64-bit processor...

Can you guys click the above link and tell me what you think of those computers? I want to be able to play, like, UT2004, GTA, World of Warcraft, Doom 3... I know they aren't the best computers, but it's all I can afford. I am interesting in emulating N64, but not at all interested in exploring the GC emulation.

Thanks guys, any info at all on any of the hardware included would greatly educate me.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Well mean as you want to game i'd highly recommend going AMD because of their high performance gaming benchmarks

As for the Semprons, I wouldn't rate them highly, they are basically Athlon XPs with half the cache memory (apart from the older 2600+s and below), they are meant for budget use more than anything, they'll perform decent in gaming, but I wouldn't recommend them for gaming.

Personally, I say pay the extra for the Athlon 64, their gaming benchmarks take a lot to be beaten, the 3000+ even at stock speeds takes a lot to beat in gaming, check out this doom 3 benchmark

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/doom3cpu_08020430812/3452.png

Not just for gaming though, i'd recommend an Athlon 64 because Windows XP x64 is only around the corner

I'd think twice about the graphics card inlcluded though, it's pretty mediocre

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
The one you're looking at doesn't have enough ram, 256 is NOT enough for your desired gaming performance and will be rubbish as a result. on account of the amount of data these games put in ram, especially ut2004 and doom3.

The ideal amount of ram these days is 1024mb. If nothing else you want a minimum of 512mb.

Last edited:

Burnpro

Supar ***
you can get decent gaming with the pricier rig (25,900 Baht )
athlon 64 plus 9600xt is good for 800*600 gaming on your desire games.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
My 9600XT runs all current games like butter @ 1024x768 with medium to highest settings.. OCed to 580MHz/700MHz (CORE/MEM).

It's more than worthy. :)

rcgamer

the old guy
stay away from the sempron . im not saying its terrible but you want something in the xp or 64 class. the one on the right would be your best bet. or build your own.