What's new

emuScene 2004

Lynx

emuDigest 2004

Let’s start, ok?

I’ll take a quick look into not-so-distant past - year 2003.
The year was famous for the first *cough*playable*cough* PS2 game, Sega Model 2 and decent Sega Saturn emulation (using GiriGiri, where legality is still a subject of discussion), real Atari Jaguar, Nuon and 3DO emulators and some smaller (for a public) but bigger (for developers) events, like a breakthrough in PPC emulation which brought basic support of Mac OS9 emulation into Basilisk II and helped GameCube emulation to become a reality, as well as PearPC this year. I also thought that nothing could be improved in PSX and N64 emulation.

A breath of depression came upon all of us at some early moment in 2004. We are old sceners and we don’t believe in miracles anymore. What could possibly happen that would detonate the scene and once again light up the flames in our eyes?

So, a bit of waiting really brought us miracles!

At the first point we’ve tried to make a chronological list of the biggest events, but later really thought to make some kind of a TOPXX. It’s not really a TOP since a lot of the positions are floaters. We all do respect each others work so we really can’t say ““Chankast” has prevailed “PCSX2” this year”. Basically, it’s a list of the events sorted by “explosiveness” factor of the releases. We don’t want to pretend to be accurate; we are just doing our job.

Ladies and Gentlemen!
Please welcome, The TOP 3 Categories of The Year (in random order)!

1) Dreamcast Emulation
2) GameCube Emulation
3) PlayStation 2 Emulation

Well, everyone has self-defined the order of these “New Generation” (ok, it’s getting old) categories. Let’s review the events:

Dreamcast - Chankast
After years of Icarus waiting, this one came as a huge surprise. Being annoying to the newbies with the difficulties of running games using some BIOS files, OSes (SPTI vs ASPI issues), it really became a leader of the discussions for the entire year. The flawless speed and quality of the emulation (which proves that LLE doesn’t really matter) are really stunning. While Icarus was trying to become modular by importing PSX emulation style (with plugins, bells and whistles), Chankast took different road – immediate release upon reaching a specific stability level, where games could be completed.
This emulator proved to be worth playing for months.

GameCube – Dolphin, Dolwin and gcube
While Dreamcast has seen only one release of the emulator (which is able to play commercial games - not mentioning ElSemi doing Namco Museum in the distant past), GameCube has seen far more.
Dolphin is another example of High Level Emulation combined with crazy Dynamic Recompilation. It shines so hard, that brings back the memories of UltraHLE release. While not being as cool as Chankast from the gaming side (who’s going to be the first to complete Windwaker @ 2 fps? that’s a comparison to the reality of Shenmue completion under Chankast), it does really proves the TEASER concept. Go play Bust-A-Move 3000, Yoshi’s Cookies or Kururin.
The Dolphin isn’t the only star here. gcube (newcomer) and Dolwin (done by the Russian author, previously unknown for HLPSE) has both reached the state, where games do become playable.
We’ll see how it will work out next year, but for some reason gcube does remind me about mupen64

It’s a big relief to see the system finally emulated.

PlayStation 2 - PCSX2
The amount of terrific screenshots from the homepage of this emulator was big and reminded us about early Icarus homepage. Doh, kill these memories, baby. We don’t want Nightmares anymore.
0.7 has seen the light and brought big amount of improvements. One of them is called really “Playable games” (for some of us). While kiddies don’t feel satisfaction and become even more frustrated by inability to play as Tidus or Yuna or the San Andreas guy, others are very excited and think about further optimizations to improve the compatibility, quality and speed of the complex beast. And the amount of playable (who’s going to be the first to) games is even bigger, than in Dolphin. PLUS you could save and continue.

The second batch
It’s really hard to make a list of “2nd echelon” emulators. They aren’t 2nd for some of us – they were far more useful than “gamy top 3”. I’ll just make a real emuDigest of the further emulators, not the top.

Nintendo 64 Emulation
While I was right by saying “nothing could be improved in PSX emulation” (especially after OpenGL2 plugin by Pete), I was wrong in N64 case. We’ve seen a really strong wave of the releases. Since 1964 0.9.9 does fall in-between of 2003 and 2004 and we’ve discussed the masterpiece last time, mupen64 is the present that really brings us the third emulator to use (besides Project64 and 1964). It’s already strong and mature, but it has more potential for improvements! We can’t have N64 emulators without GFX plug-ins and this year was REALLY important. Rice did a great job and his “Video” plug-in is now as mature as Glide64 is. Both of them are really important and now they take the absolute lead in N64 GFX emulation. Another surprise was the Azimer’s AudioHLE plugin featuring fast speed and high sound quality.

Newcomers
2004 had few surprises – handheld Watara SuperVision emulator called “Potator” (from the famous Virtual Jaguar dev team) and breakthrough in Nuance (Nuon emulator), allowing to PLAY commercial games. Pokemon Mini became a reality due to the inclusion of PM emulator into the GameCube game. Three more conquered platforms are a real progress.

Sega Saturn Emulation
The tricky part here is the visibility of the total absence of the progress. All the current emulators are taking their time to reach the point, where they will be able to run most of the 2D games. We have SSF 0.07 being resurrected, Yabause progressing really well (and it’s open source nature gives really nice prospects to it’s future) and Saturnin, which is quite near this year goal. It’s really a starting point which has couple of hyperjump gates. We’ll have a lot more games running in 2005, but now new SSF shows the compatibility rate comparable to GiriGiri. Well, both of them were in parallel development 4 years ago so this comes as no wonder.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive
While Stef is taking a break, Steve is doing all the homework. I think we have quite a strong and fat dot here. No more concerns (except the speed and accessibility) after Kega Fusion release. Sega CD+32x emulation is a reality. I guess it took dozens of sleepless nights to sync both (or should I say throse?) of them.
Some of you would like to see gens++ here, but it’s really not worth it.

Arcade emulation
Nah, I wouldn’t do a review of all the platforms covered by MAME this year. Let the mamedev team cover it up for me (as well as yearly evolution graphs).
I’ll note a new release of Sega Model 2 Emulator from ElSemi, as well as his latest creation called Crystal Emulator. Another dozen of 3D arcade titles beaten!
Last year I’ve missed FinalBurn Alpha which is starting to replace deadly-ill RAINE. Thanks again, Flash. This emulator is covering more and more platforms and it REALLY has BLAZING speed!
ZiNc’s last word is quite nice, I couldn’t disagree. This is a masterpiece which deserves a break at the reached point. Arcade PlayStation emulation at it’s best.
Oh, I’ve predicted some HLE MAME-derivates in 2005 and we’ve seen EKMAME even earlier - this year. While it wasn’t warmly received by official developers, it proves the concept – some people care about quality and not the precision. They do want to see alpha blending on top of that PSX pixelated lowres stuff.
Aaron has also released single game emulator (Radikal Bikers) which is using quite forgotten approach to the emulation - static recompilation.
I’ve probably missed some parts here since I wasn’t into arcade emulation much this year, but it should sum up most of it.

Computer Emulation
PearPC
The king of new generation PPC emulation brings us MacOS X, which gets installed at the speed outblazing original Macs. Precision and quality of the emulation is unquestionable. It’s really STUNNING. PC users have suffered for half a decade. In order to develop things for the amazing platform, we had to buy shining and expensive (as hell) equipment, while Mac users were using VirtualPC. We had a lot of promises to see Mac PPC emulators over the past years. Don’t wait for Emulators Inc. & Ardi. Go use it. PearPC does bring us active alternate software reality. And it isn’t called Linux.

DOSbox
At the very same moment when we really became annoyed by the inability to play Crusader: No Regret and Remorse on our usual PCs running “NEW TECHNOLOGY” operating systems (yes, that’s NT-derivatives and I still have an extra P166MMX with SB16 Vibra just for oldskool gaming), updated DOSbox has appeared with the new i386 emulation and blazing performance. Finally, the emulator became useful for all abandonware fans.

blueMSX
In less than one year this emulator became the best MSX emulator.

I’m moving to another part – technological innovations of the year.
I’ll propose the list and everybody will be able to judge the importance of every event based on their preferences:

RascalBoy Advance and VBALink
Both of these emulators have showed us the missing link in GameBoy Advance emulation – link cable support. All the Pokemon fans celebrate by drinking non-alcoholic champagne.

SNES chips emulation
This was an awesome project to reverse engineer a lot of them one-by-one. Big respect to the dev team dedicated to the final SNES touches.

Picodrive
Do you really believe in fast emulators nowadays? If not, you should try this one. Sega MegaDrive emulated on smartphones. N-Gage owners celebrate first real game ;)

Arcade decryptions
Starting the reverse engineering of the platforms counted as emulated (I’m referring to the Sega Systems) is a big responsibility. It’s another final touch to the old Sega arcade machines. Include your own other favorite decryptions here. And rumors regarding Chihiro games being launched on modded/upgraded Xboxes.

RealityBoy
This one is the only real emulator of Nintendo Virtual Boy and seeing the project being resurrected and almost finished makes us happy.

MagicEngine
…proving the technology could be polished and made more accessible by the years of hard work.

PSF
…trying to cover all the music on consoles.
Neat, now I demand Sega Genesis.

scale3x
Does anybody remember 99 and Parrot from BrSMS?

GoodMerge
…bringing romset sizes to the FDDs.

Tickle
For bringing the simple explanation of emulation to wannabe developers.

Another category we introduce here is…
DISAPPOINTMENTS OF THE YEAR!

We’ll be quick, somewhere sarcastic just a bit, and we don’t really want to offend anyone. These events were noted by the users.

No releases:
1) SuperModel (don’t thing the song of 40GHz, we don’t demand LLE)
2) MagicEngine PC-FX (ok, we could survive another 1 year delay since ME 1 looks so neat!)
3) Ardi. Death of the company. No more PPC Mac legends.
4) DeJap
5) Icarus/ChooDo[/font] Forget about it.

Dead ends:
1) Satourne – hey, if it couldn’t run on our computers, how could you make a core?
2) cxbx – is the team really that mature ;) ?
3) RAINE – the team has left the building

Deaths:
1) FakeNES. We’ll miss you, ZSNES team.
2) Dolphin. Leaving so early?
3) FCE Ultra. Dead to be reborn. Again.

Others:
1) RockNES. Doesn’t work as well as a Rock for Scissors, even after being polished for years.
2) FreeDO. We’ve heard the lyrics of the song: “OpenSource”. At least partially.
3) BGB. Please, THE BEST GB/C EMULATOR, become accessible!
4) Atari Jaguar. Please, don’t stop me now!

Well, that’s it for the digests and TOPs of the year.

I would also like to note some big names of this year which I personally like:
ZSNES (half dozen of new chips, you say?), SuperSleuth
MagicEngine
WinUAE
NO$GBA

I’m sure there were more, but we are here to celebrate really new and explosive events, right?

I’d like to excuse myself for not covering up Japanese events, as well as some others.

Site Maintainers
I’m greatly disappointed by the absence of usable Archive sections on your sites. You know who you are. Monthly archives are A MUST. I was very disappointed by some sites not having a search feature in news archives, as well as static archive pages dated 2003 or… DAILY BASED ARCHIVES.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I agree with a lot of this, BGB is a massive disapointment, how could anyone think this is the best gbc emu... its fecking crap... I disagree about SuperSleuth.. sure its nice but its hardly anything new and it has absolutely no sound.

As for Dolphin, GC emulation is not really feasble right now anyway, unless you want to play at 2fps.. which is pointless... wait a couple of years dolphin (or at least something as good as) will be here. Dolphin really is ahead of its time.

Dejap have been MIA for a while too... totally agree.. but they still did us a huge favor with star ocean and others in the past so I can accept this.

I also agree about Gens++, nice try but its rubbish atm, Kega Fusion is #1.

Nice work Lynx.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Lynx:
you_suck_sad.jpg

Regulus

Nobody wants the ROM community (if that's what you want to call it) overflow making a list of their favorite emulators, judging them, and saying which ones suck. Program your own emulator and gain some knowledge before making these assumptions. You know jack shit about the topic of emulation.

Keith

The Show Must Go On!
Administrator
First I must say there is nothing wrong with posting your opinion on the forums, but at the same time I personally don't agree with the negetive aspect of it.

I have always felt emulators from a developers standpoint should not be judged, compared, and/or rated. Each project is different in their own right and not all projects have the same level of development or dedication.

Your opinions come off as a fan looking in from the outside and from reading other emulation sites. Which is fine, since this article is "opinion" based and not something that emulators should be based on or judged on. Since your article is just one persons perception as a fan of emulation from the outside I guess it is ok.

Some of your assumptions seem alright in your article, but I just have one issue with something. On IRC you said ..

[09:42] <eelynx> i ment to blame ngemu kiddies for voting.
[09:43] <eelynx> when lamers are voting for the emulation, it makes no sense.

Which makes me wonder what makes you better then them? and what makes you a non lamer in your terms? You are basically doing the same thing but instead of a poll to vote on, you are judging these projects and their development with this article.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
You cannot expect to just turn up with something like this and not get peoples backs up, as keith said this is just another kind of judgement thread.

Regulus

Your website has links to illegal material. someone remove the link from the post above please -_-.

Another thing. We don't need a fucking link to the "Russian Community". There is no russian community really. If we think there is a project worth checking into that is in the Russian community, we will get the info ourself. Yea, you might know or9, but we don't need you to link him to us. at least 3 of the board members here are beta testers.

Q.E.D. Now let's wait for your super cool counter-argument!!1!1!1!!11oneone

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Woah woah woah, hold up folks, this isn't at all fact Lynx has posted, this is opinion, why are you all getting so mad over it...?

Granted all of it everyone may not agree on but who's going to agree on everything...

Lynx did this last year and didn't get a reception like this so he isn't just "turning up", see the other thread in "Talk of the town", Martin even said he wanted to see one for this year ;)

I only agreed on some points he made not them all. I feel that this slamming match is really un-nesicary.. and childish.

At least I'm not the only one with the guts to say what I really think.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Right, to show you what can be a "good" overview with opinions, I'll make my own here about the 5 current GC emus.

DOLPHIN
First of all, Dolphin. One of the most popular emu out right now. Even with only 2 releases, it's the emu that currently has the best compatibitity over commercial games. As they were only 3 working on it, the first release was stunning when you could finally see GC games running on your PC. The speed of the emu wasn't the top thing to look at but when you talk about the graphics, when using a card that supports Pixel Shader 2.0, the result is awesome. As for the latest release, the sound emulator is a plus, even if it's not fully working everywhere in every games, it makes a great feeling. The emulator is mainly at his final stage mostly due that the authors that created this one as a goal, to succefully emulate gamecube commercial games on PC. I can say that for that part, they got it perfectly!

DOLWIN:
Now Dolwin. As the first real Gamecube emu out, it started at the bottom, emulating the minimum to make it an emulator. Running pong and some other homebrews, this emu is growing slowly to the top. after multiple releases, each one increasing a bit the speed and compatibility of the demos, the authors finally aimed for the commercial part. Along with a big work to do , org succefully started to emulate Bust a Move 3000, the "base" game to emulate. After that , he worked harder and harder to increase it's compatibility. At the current status, the compatibility is getting closer and closer to the Dolphin one. It may doesn't currently have any big sound emulation but other things as 4 players support along with full memory cards supports are making this emu a big hit when the next version (0.10) will be released. Keep on the great work org :)

WHINECUBE:
WhineCube, that emu also started at the bottom, but first aimed at another point, getting the best compat/speed out of demos and homebrews. The emu is a great success due that it can emulate almost all current demos and homebrews at a great speed with 4 players support and full sound. Masken is currently trying also to emulate commercial but I can't tell anything since I don't know the current status. good luck Masken, keep on working ;)

GCUBE:
gCube , knows as the multi OS and "no GUI" emulator, this one came almost as a surprise, the first version was also only running non-commercial but the other ones were already starting to play some commercial games. The bad part is that I don't know enough about this great emu, Monk doesn't really come on Irc in dev channels so I didn't have really a lot of chance to talk with him. What I can say it that the emu starts to have a great compatiblity, running some games other emus can't yet, got some sound support for homebrews and also having save states supports that make him the first GC emu out where you can actually save your game. This is also the first emu to be for windows, linux and mac, thing that is making linux and mac users happy. This emu got a great future in front of it. Keep on going Monk , you're in the right path !

NINPHIN:
As for the last one, Ninphin. It had a little start, emulating some demos and so but it doesn't seem like it's going to be released some day. Except some news from the author some months ago, there are nothing new on this emu. Prolly the only emu that will dissapear without really being known.... too bad, good try Scull, hope you'll have better success in your other projects if you have any!

CONCLUSION:
I will say, all emus are all great in their points, Dolphin got a great compat, got sound and is quite fast compared to others, Dolwin is getting close to Dolphin, by being the first to got fully working memcard, Whinecube with is incredible compat/speed over demos and homebrews and gCube for his multi OS support and for his overall compat.

That concludes my overview of the current GC emus , that might be a bit long but I tried to tell as most as I knew. hope you will appreciate it ;)

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
GC Emulation at the moment is very impressive but our current hardware isn't good enough for it, Dolphin will at its current state be awesome when our PC's are able to run it at full speed... (on games like wind waker). Hence my comment "way ahead of its time"... its true! :D In 3 years Dolphin may be very fast for us. That is when the fun begins!

Everyone has their own view on emulators, we think some are good and some are bad, it's not nessicarily a bad thing to post what you think of them, it gives authors a chance to see who loves them and who doesn't, so what if 1 person says "your emu sucks" as long as 1000 say "you rule" ;)

In general though emu's are very hard to make so I suppose I can see why people may get upset if someone does... but I don't let that bother me usually.

Last edited:

flow``

flow``
pretty good read. havent been around for a whlie and it's nice to see a review. of course theres the obvious "dont just judge/compare those who dev emu's" but at the same time it's nice to hear an opinion as long as it has constructive criticism and not an out all bash. oh well, good shit. hopefully 05 will bring us a lot more good things ;)

OP
Lynx

Lynx

I'll sure answer Keith later, it's 6AM and I'm back from NY party. Just a quick note for now, I'll go more in-depth later - we've been running emu portal from 2000 and I've posted more than 2000 news and emuDigests. Only 0.001% of them had mistakes. I know what I'm talking about, people from our community (which some of the non-objective people who have nothing else to say except "U SUCK" call "ROM kiddies" for the reasons of non-objective affiliation) are much more mature than some of you who blame us. And as I said - if we'll find any rom-related links in any depth from your links to the sites, forums, persons or whatever, you (the persons who blame us for that) will be also cursed forever as "ROM KIDDIES" for having double-standard attitude.
I've created emuBase at the same early time (take a look at the very old backup at http://emubase.sourceforge.net/) and was building a lot of communities. We've been interviewing emu-authors like all of you, beta testing and helping the development (some of the emus appeared with our help) and covering a lot of stuff.

Our project is down for 2 years, but now we are back and building entire "console->emulator->emulation" encyclopedia resource as Wiki and it's progressing quite well.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Just to make myself clear, I don't know (and I don't care about) what happend with you in the past but after looking at what you posted in the start of the thread I can say that the whole thing was more like a huge judge rather than an overview of what really happened. If we consider that other than that some of the things you wrote were completely wrong your post was far below of what we expected.

Let me show you some of the things you missed or "misunderstood" and I'm aware of:

When you wrote about Chankast you were implying that Chankast uses HLE were in fact it uses LLE (or maybe you mean the opposite? It's quite confusing). Icarus was never released but some of its members helped in some way with Chankast's development and since you talked about Icarus this should be at least mentioned. Regarding Choodo, the author decided to join the Icarus team.

CXBX was merely mentioned even though it manages to run at least one game fullspeed. The thing that shows immatureness is your comment rather than "the team".

Gens plus had some progress. Not much, but it should also being mentioned instead of saying that "it doesn't worth it".

Regarding Satourne. It runs fine as long as you have the two needed C/C++ runtime libraries and the ASPI drivers installed. The author did a mistake with the C/C++ runtime libraries in the latest release so most people experienced problems. Anyway, you should at least visit the forums to inform the author or ask for help and I'm sure that he whould fix it. If you don't know it already Satourne runs fullspeed with sound (a litle crappy) and it's very compatible (maybe even more than SSF). Take a look at the pic I attached.

I bet that there are even more things that you wrote and are mistaken but either I don't know them or I don't remember them.
When you don't know about something it's better not to mention it at all instead of saying things that do not represent the truth.

Take a look at Knuckles' post... That's how an overview should be. He manages to link what he says with facts and writes his opinion without forcing you to accept it. On the other hand you keep judging the work of these people (who in fact do not owe you nothing) instead of saying what their emulators have to offer and what should be changed or fixed.
By the way you posted you remind me of some n00bs who know only to demand and judge the work of others without doing anything themselves

Last edited:

-Shadow-

Banned
Elly said:
You are not in a position to critisize people's efforts on free projects when you cannot even code a simple utility.
Yours,
-Elly

I also feel adressed of that Statement, I critizised work of others ( IMO, it was productive critizism, but whatever ) and i can just code a window with a simple message and a button on it (Yay, i'm C++ god! ), I haven't had any time to study C++ any further, because school is more important. Is that one reason why some ( they were just two people until now, but it's still concerning me) people are calling me a "tard"? It's something that concerned me for a while and just had to be spoken out, the question of "why". I just want to know clearly why some people get pissed of me. It's normal that one people can't be liked by anyone, it's just the reason that is bothering me.

Elly

-Shadow- said:
I also feel adressed of that Statement, I critizised work of others ( IMO, it was productive critizism, but whatever ) and i can just code a window with a simple message and a button on it (Yay, i'm C++ god! ), I haven't had any time to study C++ any further, because school is more important. Is that one reason why some ( they were just two people until now, but it's still concerning me) people are calling me a "tard"? It's something that concerned me for a while and just had to be spoken out, the question of "why". I just want to know clearly why some people get pissed of me. It's normal that one people can't be liked by anyone, it's just the reason that is bothering me.

There is a difference between constructive critism and bashing people's work/themselves. I never seen your critism before so I cannot comment. If Emulynx came in and said his opinions about 2004 emulators in an informed and appopriate manner, enforced with solid reasonings; then I doubt he would get even half of those negative responses.

Yours,
-Elly