What's new

Half-Life 2 retail - steam activation MANDATORY?!

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
AlphaWolf said:
Speak of the online activation requirement, I think it might be beyond prevention of simple piracy. It probably isn't to prevent piracy as a whole so much as it is to prevent any 0day releases. It's entirely possible that the game engine isn't included on the CD, and you can only download it when you first activate it. This would effectively prevent any warez groups from releasing the game before it actually sells in the stores.

After that it would be a simple matter of hours.

That would be good, yeah, except that what would happen, is a good portion of the people that'll be buying the game via amazon or ebgames, or whatever, likely don't have broadband. That would seriously piss of those people to have to download hundreds of mb of stuff, not to mention it would really bog down the steam servers with thousands upon thousands of people downloading at once, which'll happen anyway with updates. Guess it's pretty much a no win siduation for 'em.
- Modem

Gorxon

Administrator
I do not believe that the way AlphaWolf mentioned is the way to go, but it could work out without any problems really. The part you removed could be simple, yet important, stuff in the engine like the part that calculates coordinates for 3D gfx or such. I am sure they could get a vital part down to 500k, and I really think Valve's 30 or so content server's can keep up with that. Remember that they are going this way with the online release through Steam already. With this online release I have no problems with the way they do things though, as you know what you're going to.

As for advertisement, sure Steam has it, but only for their own products. It's very easy to disable them though, and I believe you get the choice upon registration. If not, just go to settings.

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Then isn't it going to be even stupider when eventually you can't in several years time reinstall the game..?
Besides, giving away part of the game via online still wouldn't make a difference. What would happen then... well, a piracy group would grab a legitimate copy as they often do, `activate` it and get this essential piece and then they're back at cracking state. Archive it, back it up to a DVD, whatever they can store it on in its full activated state. Barely even an inconvienience to the larger groups at a guess.
Hm, interesting though...

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Ah, the Steam Experience...
Step 1. Get annoyed at stupid activation requirements for single player game.
Step 2. Find out there is zero point buying retail version for reasons above, only with the added bonus of shiny coaster. Realise that at least you could be playing CS:Source now.
Step 3. Give in and install steam.
Step 4. Give in and attempt to purchase HL-2.
Step 5. Discover you can't pay for the damn thing without a major American credit card brand... Rather than say, paypal or similar which would've been sensible. Way to go for the global audience Valve! :)
Step 6. Give up on the whole process and decide this hysterically stupid garbage isn't worth it over a game.
Step 7. Advise people who are pissed off but want the game to BUY RETAIL, because Valve make less $$$ this way. ;)

Gorxon

Administrator
As most of you know, the game is to be found on store shelves already. An official spokesman from Vivendi however, had a different view on the issue:

hl.jpg

If you don't get the joke, read this:
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/566/566154p1.html?fromint=1

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
That is pretty funny.

My Half Life 2 however, is already preloaded and awaiting activation, god bless ATI HL2 Offer finally paying off!

Tomorrow at this time I will be saving City 17, now if you'll all excuse me...

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Hexidecimal said:
That is pretty funny.

My Half Life 2 however, is already preloaded and awaiting activation, god bless ATI HL2 Offer finally paying off!

Tomorrow at this time I will be saving City 17, now if you'll all excuse me...

Me, too. But tomorrow? Uhhhh... sorry, it doesn't come out 'till *tuesday* at midnight (neaning Tuesday Monring: 12:00am). I'm going to be waiting anctously.
- Modem

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Hm, ordering it at the stupidly low price over a year ago appears to have paid off. :p

Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:13:42 GMT
Subject: Your Amazon.co.uk order has dispatched (#202-8993171-_______)
To: ------------------------------(sorry spammers, nothing to see here;))
Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,
Your order #202-8993171-4097459 (received 12 August 2003, 22:24 BST)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ordered Title Price Dispatched Subtotal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Half-Life 2 24.99 GBP 1 24.99 GBP

Mm, cheap Source-y goodness. I'm suddenly feeling unwell tomorrow... yeah, suddenly coming down with something right now...;)

Roll on `hacktivation`.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
AlphaWolf said:
Speak of the online activation requirement, I think it might be beyond prevention of simple piracy. It probably isn't to prevent piracy as a whole so much as it is to prevent any 0day releases. It's entirely possible that the game engine isn't included on the CD, and you can only download it when you first activate it. This would effectively prevent any warez groups from releasing the game before it actually sells in the stores.

After that it would be a simple matter of hours.

And how right I am...

http://www.izonews.com/release.php3?releaseid=93951

Happened around midday yesterday, before many of the legit guys were even able to get it.

Not only did they manage to crack it but also write a steam emulator. I swear these guys must be able to disassemble x86 code in their heads. Never underestimate them.

Last edited: