What's new

Open Gl Or Direct 3d

blay

Hi

My graphics card supports both OpenGL and Direct 3D. Does anyone know which one gives the best graphics performance?

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
best performance? As far as speed?

Just try and see which one gives you better results.

or most compatible?

I think DirectX is winning this as far as N64 plugins are concerned.

or best visual results?

This would depend on your card, but most I think again find DirectX doing much better. This seems to once again simply be due to the plugin programmers using DirectX more over OpenGL.

Anyone feel free to correct me on anything as I am no expert. :)

ROYGBIV

It all depends on your card. If you got a Nvidia you'll probably do better using OpenGL. If you an ATI you'll probably do better using D3D. If you got neither then experiment with the two.

Using one or the other can drastically ulter your FPS. My cousin was using OpenGL and was only getting 10 FPS in ePSXe (same with PJ64). I told him to use D3D and he boosted up to a steady 60 FPS. It makes a real difference.

willljjj

Banned
In Rice's Plugin, there's much higher compatibility in DX in my experience. However OpenGL seems to look better when it works, and faster too. I've got a geforce FX 5200.

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
The majority usually chooses Direct3D over OpenGL and have better results with Direct3D. It really depends on your video card. Most newer cards run OpenGL really good, but Direct3D seems to be the better of the two. Regardless, I suggest Direct3D, but who knows, you just may get better results using OpenGL.