What's new

Perfect Dark texture pack?

E

emuguy

I was just wandering if anyone has taken the time to rip all the textures from Perfect Dark into 1 pack? If so, is there anywhere i can download it, or would it be possible for you to send it to me? Thanx1

Eagle

aka Alshain
Hmm, this is an interesting question. Textures in a game are digital art. Art is copyrighted by the creator. I'm not sure, but this may be asking for something we dont allow you to ask for. Ripping the textures out of a rom is no different than ripping the rom itself, its still part of the same copyrighted material. Anyway, I'll start a discussion with the rest of the staff and see what they think.

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Eagle said:
Hmm, this is an interesting question. Textures in a game are digital art. Art is copyrighted by the creator. I'm not sure, but this may be asking for something we dont allow you to ask for. Ripping the textures out of a rom is no different than ripping the rom itself, its still part of the same copyrighted material. Anyway, I'll start a discussion with the rest of the staff and see what they think.
the copyright is both for code and datas, no doubt, but i'm not sure it's really considered as a crime to rip some screen/textures/sprites/etc... or you have to ban almost all of us, because of our avatar pictures, avatar animated gifs, screenshots, etc...

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Knuckles would have been sued long ago for making the Mario64 level (with original textures), PD levels and Goldeneye levels. I think this is pretty safe. :)
- Modem

Knuckles

Even if someone had all of them ripped, it would be illegal to put them available for everyone to download, same as ripping game/rom itself. If you want them all, do like me and extract them as you need them using plugins, emus and the rom. This is what I do for my maps/guns ect.

Last edited:

Jakob

evil *******
Well, it really comes down to laws regarding fair use, I've never heard of any company attempting a lawsuit over textures or sprites ripped from a game, whether it be mario64 of quake 3.. Although that's probably more becuase companies aren't worried about the textures and images in a game, not really something that game devs find offensive.

And then it would also be much easier to just provide instructions to people on how to do it, rather than fill requests, as they could then go and do the same to get textures from other roms.

OP
E

emuguy

Well, if thats the case, then i dont think Emutalk.net should be hosting plugins that rip textures from roms:S I understand emulators being hosted, because they play the roms. They dont give you access to roms. But the texture ripping plugin, this gives you direct access to material that could be illegal. Never thought about it this way.

Eagle

aka Alshain
emuguy said:
Well, if thats the case, then i dont think Emutalk.net should be hosting plugins that rip textures from roms:S I understand emulators being hosted, because they play the roms. They dont give you access to roms. But the texture ripping plugin, this gives you direct access to material that could be illegal. Never thought about it this way.

Thats true, I wasn't aware those plugins were available here to tell you the truth. Emulators are not illegal, the have no content to provide you with illegal material, you have to find it yourself. These ripping plugins might though.

Gorxon

Administrator
I understand emulators being hosted, because they play the roms. They dont give you access to roms.

Actually, emulators access all parts of the rom. As does notepad. This is like the MP3 player discussion...it COULD be used for illegal purposes. That applies to both emus and plugins. But you don't dislike emus do you?

If you already have the rom illegally on your HD, you already have pirated the textures, music and whatnot of the game. A texture ripper is no different from a emulator. Besides, screenshots aren't illegal are they?

Seriously, this is getting rediculous...

Last edited:

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Gorxon said:
Besides, screenshots aren't illegal are they?
Seriously, this is getting rediculous...
well, the problem doesn't exist for 3D games, because the textures and 3d models are not in their original formats, so it can't be a rip (the textures and 3D models are not extracted, and can't be used)...

for 2D games it's differents, the sprites are in the screenshot (size, colors), so with a 2D game screenshot you have extracted datas in their original format, and you can perfectly use it if you want (after a small work, you have the datas), technically it's a rip (you have just ripped the screen buffer instead of a single sprite)... i know, it's crazy...

but as i said before i don't think ripping gfx is considered as a crime (until you don't make money with that...), there is a lot of examples of freeware games using original commercial game gfx... without permission and without lawsuit...

apexad

Nightmare said:
well, the problem doesn't exist for 3D games, because the textures and 3d models are not in their original formats, so it can't be a rip (the textures and 3D models are not extracted, and can't be used)...

for 2D games it's differents, the sprites are in the screenshot (size, colors), so with a 2D game screenshot you have extracted datas in their original format, and you can perfectly use it if you want (after a small work, you have the datas), technically it's a rip (you have just ripped the screen buffer instead of a single sprite)... i know, it's crazy...

but as i said before i don't think ripping gfx is considered as a crime (until you don't make money with that...), there is a lot of examples of freeware games using original commercial game gfx... without permission and without lawsuit...

I think you hit it right on the nail. A company would file a lawsuit against you if you did somethig that could cause them to lose money. In the case of a texture, in probably 99.99% of cases on this board, nobody is going to rip them, and profit off of them. However, even if you were going to use it in a game that you sold, is the texture going to sell the game? Does the company have a patent on a texture that looks like that? NO.

So, basically, a company can lose no money on ripped textures, and thus, there is no good reason to declare it illegal, and in theory, I think this makes it somewhat legal, or at least in a gray area, which is the same place emulators are, so...