What's new

64 Processors

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
With many Athlon 64's coming out now, I dont see the point of them being released now, as only a few programs support it, and it will probably be early next year until we see many 64-bit applications. I was thinking of buying an Athlon 64 3200 a while back, but i bought a pentium 4 because I didnt, (and still dont) need a processor that can support 64-bit programs.

-Shadow-

Banned
DarthDazDC said:
With many Athlon 64's coming out now, I dont see the point of them being released now, as only a few programs support it, and it will probably be early next year until we see many 64-bit applications. I was thinking of buying an Athlon 64 3200 a while back, but i bought a pentium 4 because I didnt, (and still dont) need a processor that can support 64-bit programs.

Ah ok , but a Athlon 64 is incredibly fast , though ! It's not only that it supports 64 bit instructions ! Ok , i don't need those 64-bit , either , but the performance catches my fancy , i would stick to AMD

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
but how come its got a clock speed of around 2.2GHZ and Ive got a p4 3.2GHZ. and I keep hearing that the athlon 64 performs better, why is this?

sheik124

Emutalk Member
DarthDazDC said:
but how come its got a clock speed of around 2.2GHZ and Ive got a p4 3.2GHZ. and I keep hearing that the athlon 64 performs better, why is this?
because you've been poisoned by the millions of dollars intel put into its marketing and making sure they boasted clock speed, well, clock speed really means nothing anymore. Intel's NetBurst architecture they designed was meant for raw speed, only. P4s have extremely long, cache and bandwidth starved pipelines, that really don't help it at all. Thats why Celerons at 2.8 GHz, based off the same architecture as a 2.8 GHz Northwood P4 but with half the cache, can't even outperform a Duron at 1.8 GHz, or a P4 at 1.8 GHz for that matter, even the Athlon XP 1600+ i have sitting in my old rig my sister now uses. Its why the Pentium M (AKA Centrino) at only like 1.8 GHz can kill a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4-M or plain Pentium 4, because its based off the mature, yet more efficent P6 architecture Intel introduced with the Pentium Pro, and used with the PIIs and PIII, the same PIIIs that could kill a P4 running at 1.8 GHz when they only run at 1.4. Thats why AMD began using model numbers 2800+, 3000+, 3200+............. for naming their processors, because the clock speed wasn't the important factor anymore, the Athlon 64 has an on-die memory controller and a shorter pipeline that doesn't heavily rely on memory bandwidth or cache (its why the Athlon FX-51 and Athlon 64 3400+ [S754 single-channel] were neck and neck, and why the Newcastle core Athlon 64s with half the cache but a higher clockspeed perform equally to their Clawhammer counterparts). Intel has now adopted a model number scheme similar to AMDs, just like they now use a "similar" 64-bit implementation in their new Xeons, just look at my title under my avatar, it'll explain everything.
This thread really has no meaning, just like that one Gamecube Sucks! thread a while back, someone /close it.

-Shadow-

Banned
sheik124 said:
because you've been poisoned by the millions of dollars intel put into its marketing and making sure they boasted clock speed, well, clock speed really means nothing anymore. Intel's NetBurst architecture they designed was meant for raw speed, only. P4s have extremely long, cache and bandwidth starved pipelines, that really don't help it at all. Thats why Celerons at 2.8 GHz, based off the same architecture as a 2.8 GHz Northwood P4 but with half the cache, can't even outperform a Duron at 1.8 GHz, or a P4 at 1.8 GHz for that matter, even the Athlon XP 1600+ i have sitting in my old rig my sister now uses. Its why the Pentium M (AKA Centrino) at only like 1.8 GHz can kill a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4-M or plain Pentium 4, because its based off the mature, yet more efficent P6 architecture Intel introduced with the Pentium Pro, and used with the PIIs and PIII, the same PIIIs that could kill a P4 running at 1.8 GHz when they only run at 1.4. Thats why AMD began using model numbers 2800+, 3000+, 3200+............. for naming their processors, because the clock speed wasn't the important factor anymore, the Athlon 64 has an on-die memory controller and a shorter pipeline that doesn't heavily rely on memory bandwidth or cache (its why the Athlon FX-51 and Athlon 64 3400+ [S754 single-channel] were neck and neck, and why the Newcastle core Athlon 64s with half the cache but a higher clockspeed perform equally to their Clawhammer counterparts). Intel has now adopted a model number scheme similar to AMDs, just like they now use a "similar" 64-bit implementation in their new Xeons, just look at my title under my avatar, it'll explain everything.
This thread really has no meaning, just like that one Gamecube Sucks! thread a while back, someone /close it.

Amen , i got nothing to add ! :D

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
sheik124 said:

Well that gets my stamp of approval.