What's new

Chankast: suggestion for DC gamepad adjustment

weedfreak

Hi

I 'd like to suggest you something, maybe an improvement for chankast for a lot of people...

Love your emulator, though it is in such an early stadium. It works fine with a lot of games and shows only minor graficle/sound/memorycard flaws with some
Games... excellent work !

But what I wished for is something completely different, that you might not have thought about before. It's about the Controller config.

What I think Chankast needs is a "deadzone" config for the gamestick and both shoulder buttons.
why ? 1) there is a malfunktion with my pad (complicated.. read on) 2) it would help getting DC Emulation closer to the original

Here is what it is all about:

It's because I try to play DC with chankast as close as I can get to the original. Thats why I'm using a Gamecube Adaptor with a Gamecube Joypad for my PC ,
since GC Joypads have analogue shoulderbuttons, just like DC - now it gets a little complicated... but just read on.....

Unfortunately the DC shoulder buttons in Chankast are not working in analogue mode - you didn't put that feature to the shoulderbutton emulation (....yet -
maybe you can put it in optional - my analouge shoulderbuttons of my GC pad work fine with , being recognized by windows as throttle and and pedal )
But the point is, that the analogue shoulderbuttons of my GC joypad are never on 0% - for what reason ever. Thats why I can't use the pad in certain games,
since the cursor for options will just speed in horizontal or vertical direction , cause my shoulderbuttons are recognized by chankast as analogue axises (z-
rotation a.s. o.).that are never under 10 % usage

Example is soul calibur, when I go to the game Options menu, the cursor in Coul Calibur will run repeatetive from top to bottom and again from top to bottom. I
can't even pic a random option cause no button will work anymore - all I can do is close chankast.

Best solution would be a deadzone-config option like a lot of "commercial" games games have (or Project 64 has it too I think , but just for the analogue stick,
since there is nothing else in use for that ^^ )

Don't know if you have time for such things, but it would help making the emulator playable like the original (with analogue shoulderbuttons)
People usign PSX Joypads via adaptor or using "PSX like" joypads could assign the shoulderbuttons on axises of their secondary Analogue Stick , which could
be helpful for Racing games a.s.o.

Just a suggestion ;)

Anyway, keep up the good work , love to see the next chankast version !

yours

Karaokefreak - the guy who found out in the last weeks, that he bought way too many DC originals...... ;)

ElSemi

Yes, the deadzona is something I should have already added. I hope it would be working in next version. Also probably some kind of hotkey configuration to assign multiple button presses to a button.

weedfreak said:
Hi

I 'd like to suggest you something, maybe an improvement for chankast for a lot of people...

Love your emulator, though it is in such an early stadium. It works fine with a lot of games and shows only minor graficle/sound/memorycard flaws with some
Games... excellent work !

But what I wished for is something completely different, that you might not have thought about before. It's about the Controller config.

What I think Chankast needs is a "deadzone" config for the gamestick and both shoulder buttons.
why ? 1) there is a malfunktion with my pad (complicated.. read on) 2) it would help getting DC Emulation closer to the original

Here is what it is all about:

It's because I try to play DC with chankast as close as I can get to the original. Thats why I'm using a Gamecube Adaptor with a Gamecube Joypad for my PC ,
since GC Joypads have analogue shoulderbuttons, just like DC - now it gets a little complicated... but just read on.....

Unfortunately the DC shoulder buttons in Chankast are not working in analogue mode - you didn't put that feature to the shoulderbutton emulation (....yet -
maybe you can put it in optional - my analouge shoulderbuttons of my GC pad work fine with , being recognized by windows as throttle and and pedal )
But the point is, that the analogue shoulderbuttons of my GC joypad are never on 0% - for what reason ever. Thats why I can't use the pad in certain games,
since the cursor for options will just speed in horizontal or vertical direction , cause my shoulderbuttons are recognized by chankast as analogue axises (z-
rotation a.s. o.).that are never under 10 % usage

Example is soul calibur, when I go to the game Options menu, the cursor in Coul Calibur will run repeatetive from top to bottom and again from top to bottom. I
can't even pic a random option cause no button will work anymore - all I can do is close chankast.

Best solution would be a deadzone-config option like a lot of "commercial" games games have (or Project 64 has it too I think , but just for the analogue stick,
since there is nothing else in use for that ^^ )

Don't know if you have time for such things, but it would help making the emulator playable like the original (with analogue shoulderbuttons)
People usign PSX Joypads via adaptor or using "PSX like" joypads could assign the shoulderbuttons on axises of their secondary Analogue Stick , which could
be helpful for Racing games a.s.o.

Just a suggestion ;)

Anyway, keep up the good work , love to see the next chankast version !

yours

Karaokefreak - the guy who found out in the last weeks, that he bought way too many DC originals...... ;)