What's new

downloading/uploading gamecube games

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicky

Well i have a european console which is in terms of the US/JAP (they are virtually the same) far inferior.

So to all you EU folks: Is it possible to download my gamecube games via the BB to my PC, that is ripping them.

And on the contrary is there a way to upload games from my PC to the CG, that is streaming them?.

What i lack most is the support of SVideo and worst of all Progressive Video. Is there any way around that or am I completely fucked. I guess my last resort would be to sell it and fetch a JAP model.

Damn Nintendo to mess with the european customers in the worst imaginable way.

JinXD

slicky said:
Well i have a european console which is in terms of the US/JAP (they are virtually the same) far inferior.

So to all you EU folks: Is it possible to download my gamecube games via the BB to my PC, that is ripping them.

And on the contrary is there a way to upload games from my PC to the CG, that is streaming them?.

What i lack most is the support of SVideo and worst of all Progressive Video. Is there any way around that or am I completely fucked. I guess my last resort would be to sell it and fetch a JAP model.

Damn Nintendo to mess with the european customers in the worst imaginable way.
I don't see how the European GC is inferior to the jap/usa models, what are the differences!?

Secondly, yes you can use a European GC to rip games, but this is a forum for Dolphin, not on the GC in general. Try google, you'll find answers to the rest of your questions!!

OP
S

slicky

as i already said EU gamecube lacks progressive video, thus HDTV isn't possible and even worse SVideo. Hence it's a piece of crap. I mean nowadays, a console without HDTV support? What sick idea of a joke is that?

Consoles are fine, in that one has to understand that not every developer can afford to develop for the PC platform. But i'm not keeen on getting nothing but crappy visuals for that understanding of mine, due the fact that some console manufacturers can't get it right.

bohdy

Slicky: The PAL GC hardware is fully capable of progressive scan but it is deliberately disabled in PAL games. This has less to do with console manufacturers and more to do with European TV standards groups not supporting HDTV there. If you import NTSC games you could get pro-scan capability.

Also, the S-Video output in Pal cubes was removed in favour of native RGB output (which is both better, and more EU tv's should be capable of). The NTSC cubes, by comparison, are incapable of native RGB.

So its not all bad.

OP
S

slicky

hi bohdy,

But you never tried it out yourself, because from what i've read it's not possible to use the progressive scan on PAL gamecubes even with imports(although it's true: it is implemented in the hardware).

You are absolutely right about the RGB, except that Svideo is a minimum standart and there aren't any mainstream capture cards for RGB out there. SVideo is however a standart capture chip that is for instance available on my All in Wonder graphics card. Thus by using DScaler and SVideo you gain a quality level comparable to somewhere near RGB, and a dozen of times better than a TV.

And i have no intention to use a TV set, whilst on the contrary, regarding HDTV, a beamer is far superior than a HDTV set.

And as of yet i am not willed to buy me a beamer especially because if the video stream isn't looped through the PC all the nice video filtering, effects etc... aren't available.

I'm sure that's not everyones thing, and i am not complaining about that. All i am saying is that ripping Svideo out of the guts of the GC, in order to save a few cents, was a fatal mistake. But that doesn't seem to be the last one of nintendo (keyword DS)

bohdy

You are right that I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard directly from people that had no real reason to lie about it that pro-scan with PAL cubes does in fact work and that they were doing it "right now".

I also understand your difficulties with high quality capture although I don't use this myself. I am not happy about the removal of S-Video in PAL cubes either as my TV at home supports S-video but not RGB, but I can understand that for most people in Europe RGB is more important even though this inconveniences myself. I agree that it was a regrettable choice on Nintendo's part not to include both, but there is not much to be done about it short of importing an NTSC cube.

And about the DS: I'd rather not engage in console politics in this forum, but I will say that the consumer sales will eventually judge whether it was a mistake or not, and you may be surprised. Or you may not. I doesn't really bother me either way, as long as I have good games to play. The thing does have some interesting features though....

OP
S

slicky

Yeahh, well .

Ahh btw, a quick lookup at google helped me recall about progressive scan. Seems you are right about that. If i actually keep possession of my PAL gamecube is though still written in the stars.

------------------------------------------------------
The regular AV port has been modified by Nintendo, in order produce RGB. This makes me believe they have a very similar design for all 'Cubes. They just took a US model and modified the hardware to output RGB.

The digital out port (from which you would get progressive scan) has not been modified, and if you buy the USA/JAP component cable, you get interlaced component from a PAL console.

I'm thinking the innards of USA, JAP and PAL machines are pretty similar, so now all we need is some progressive enabled software. And the elusive FreeLoader, of course.
---------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the console politics: Good point i'm neither in politics nor do i fancy those unfruitful discussions about this and that, or better said some big player vs. another.
I am sure you know gamespot.com, if you don't it's probably the first place to check on games, consoles and more. They have tons of vids concerning DS and the PPS too.
Too keep it short, it's not that i am just not fancying the DS, it's rather that i couldn't stand any Nintendo product my whole life except the GC. That was the first product they got right IMHO (except they spoilt my excperience with that HW modifications of the PAL console siblings).
You know, i am simply nuts about graphics, and although i possessed now a GC for over 4months and a couple of games that i borrowed from friends i've never played even one of them, as i am not willing to settle with the far inferior visual experience that i would get from the composite output in contrast to SVideo.

AND NINTENDO IS DAMN WRONG, about believing that RGB has a higher importance than SVideo in europe (and also other continents). Damn, 4months now and i am still mad about them. Yeahh well, doplhin might just be the reason why my GC purchase wasn't that bad at all ;)

Gorxon

Administrator
Indeed...this has nothing to do with Dolphin and is crossing the line this forum's rules has set.

Status
Not open for further replies.