What's new

Zelda - Best Quality

Huuf

Zelda fanatic
I get the same results when textured, wait i'll post a screenshot in 5 minutes

Here a screenshot

Last edited:

Clements

Probably because you have two powerful CPUs in your comp, and the computers tested @ Anandtech had a single one, thus your 2 fps boost. Still, if that scene was rendered correctly you frame rate would likely be sub 4 fps.

kebas239

Its not that the hardware in the computer cannot render the game. The programmers cannot properly emulate the software that was written for the gamecubes hardware. The gamecube's software is written specifically for its hardware, and does not have an OS running behind it. It is very possible, if enough time was spent on it, to get a GC running at full speed on todays computers. If a 500 mhz chip, or whatever the gamecube has in it, can run the game, a 2.4 ghz chip with a gig of ram and a 128 mb video card can with the right software.

Alchy

wo33er said:
I went out and bought Zelda second hand, im going to ISO it soon
How do you intend to do this if you don't have a cube?

kebas239 said:
The gamecube's software is written specifically for its hardware, and does not have an OS running behind it. It is very possible, if enough time was spent on it, to get a GC running at full speed on todays computers. If a 500 mhz chip, or whatever the gamecube has in it, can run the game, a 2.4 ghz chip with a gig of ram and a 128 mb video card can with the right software.
Um, no. For starters the GC has a PowerPC processor, which is completely different to intel x86 architecture. It has to be emulated on a hardware level. Even with dynarec, a 2.4 Ghz P4 will probably never run (most) Gamecube games at full speed.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
People are forgetting one thing...
Emulation is NOT so that you may one day play console games on your computer. Why do developers create emulators in the first place? The answer is because it's fun and it's HARD. They look for a challenge, not so that people may rip companies of money and play them on the PC instead.

If you want to play a game on your PC, whatever the results, then go buy the game & console and THEN play it on the PC.

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Doomulation said:
People are forgetting one thing...
Emulation is NOT so that you may one day play console games on your computer. Why do developers create emulators in the first place? The answer is because it's fun and it's HARD. They look for a challenge, not so that people may rip companies of money and play them on the PC instead.

If you want to play a game on your PC, whatever the results, then go buy the game & console and THEN play it on the PC.

ZOMG! Rele? *insert random n00bish garbage*

I agree completely, it's frustrating to see people begging to play their XBox, PS2, and GCN games on their PC at full speed. It's already been pretty much proven that today's PCs won't even be able to play them at fullspeed if the eumulators were perfect anyway, right?
I don't see why anybody would want to buy a 9800 XT for 500 bucks right now anyway since the new nVidia chipset is going to be around 500 for the non ultra anyway. Can't you see that there is going to be a price drop on the current "top of the line" cards very soon? If you still want to get the 9800 XT, wait. With the extra cash you'll save by waiting another few weeks you could *gasp* buy a Gamecube! Shit, EB Games has a special right now to get a preplayed GCN for $69.99 when you buy 2 games at $29.99 or above.

Huuf

Zelda fanatic
I have a 9600 pro, I dunnot care if the gamecube is going to be "perfectly" going to be emulated. I have a gamecube with arround 40 games. If I want to play Zelda WW perfectly on the pc i'll connect it to my tv card, and play it on screen.
I just tested the emulator for fun, to see how good the programmers are (very good) and I think there's a day when they play it normal, still I will have my gamecube and the original game, to support the developers off games.

bohdy

Hey, why if the max is 4.5 or 5 then why do I get arround 7 fps =/ (see screenshot taken in intro)

The way that professional benchmarks are made is that an average framerate based on a variety of scenes is taken, not just the highest framerate of one scene.

I don't know exactly what scenes Anandtech tested but try enabling fraps logging throughout the island pan during the intro and take the average of that, then see if your fps are as high.

OP
wo33er

wo33er

Wo33eR.CoM - Owner :P
:| I dont get it, i thought the gamecube structure was not that advance and was far behind the latest pc computers. How can such a low spec system be too advanced for high tech systems.

Surely it has everything to do with the code and little to do with spec atm because after all its the code that is rending the game and if its doing it in a wrong way or complicated way it is going to give shit FPS (As expected at the start of a project like this). But if the PS2 and X-Box emulators are advancing surely this one should be too. :huh:

Clements

PS2 emus are just as slow as Gamecube emus. Xbox "emus" are really just clever wrappers so they can be fast.

PowerPC emulators are slow, thus Dolphin is slow. The 64-Bit Gekko is arguably as fast as the XBox's Intel Pentium III/Celeron hybrid @ 733MHz, so emulating a CPU this fast is going to give single digit frame rates on any computer of today. On top of this, you need a DirectX 9.0 card to even hope to display graphics correctly.

Also bare in mind that the N64's 64-Bit CPU @ 93.75MHz takes 1 GHz or so to run smoothly on a well-developed COMPATABLE emulator, and the Gekko is about five times the speed. Emulation NEEDS a decent CPU, and my 3200+ Athlon is well below minimum requirements for the 3D games.

OP
wo33er

wo33er

Yer BUT i used to play (yep belive it or not) N64 games on my old 16mb ATI Rage 3 card with a VERY shitting CPU, so surely the new ATI XT 800 and a P.4 2.8ghz shud help out in the 'three times more powerfull' therory.

And also if ur possitive that it wont be able to play on PC's now, wtf is the point in making this project ?.

So what ur saying is where all here on this forum posting game screenshots and stuff when really, the 8fps is pretty much the best we can get and this is it, the project cant go any further.... :|

foogy

GogoTheMimic said:
EB Games has a special right now to get a preplayed GCN for $69.99 when you buy 2 games at $29.99 or above.

gooo, i think ill get another one for that price! system link baby!

OP
wo33er

wo33er

preplayed :|, i have a mental problem where i cant buy anything second hand, if it wasnt, then id defo go for it.. perhaps :p

Clements

wo33er said:
Yer BUT i used to play (yep belive it or not) N64 games on my old 16mb ATI Rage 3 card with a VERY shitting CPU, so surely the new ATI XT 800 and a P.4 2.8ghz shud help out in the 'three times more powerfull' therory.

And also if ur possitive that it wont be able to play on PC's now, wtf is the point in making this project ?.

So what ur saying is where all here on this forum posting game screenshots and stuff when really, the 8fps is pretty much the best we can get and this is it, the project cant go any further.... :|

That's why I capitalised the word 'compatible' in my post. We all know Corn and the like can run games on antique systems at fullspeed, but it was compatible with less than ten games since it's full of hacks and doesn't emulate the hardware very well. Now move up to a developed emulator with 90% compatibility like PJ64/1964 and you'll need 1GHz+ if you want good speed in most games and good sound. I started by playing Goldeneye on 450MHz/SiS 530 in single digit frames.

X800XT will do almost nothing to increase the frame rate over any other DX9 card since it's the CPU that needs to be fast, all the rest is secondary.

ZSNES recommends P1 200MHz to run ZSNESWin, yet the Snes CPU itself is just under 4MHz, VBA states PIII 500MHz is recommeded for a 16MHz processor, ePSXe has a minimum spec of PII 500 for a ~40MHz processor, PJ64 recommends 1.2GHz for a ~93MHz processor.

From this you can see it's closer to 10 times than three times.

The Project isn't about playing the games. It's about the challenge of emulating the hardware for the developers - be thankful that they made it user friendly enough for us to use, because they really didn't have to.

OP
wo33er

wo33er

:|. Okay, Thanks for making all that clear. One last question that is in my mind :D. Cant Dolphin make a little sister program that is full of hacks and is jus so shit and is only compatable with zelda.. as id be happy :p. Ill pay big bucks for this.

Clements

Hey, you never know, you might be in luck since there are plenty of GC emus out there! :p You may be in for a long wait we shall see. You never know, Dolphin's speed may triple
in the next release but it's very unlikely :D

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
wo33er said:

Well, the point is that sooner or later PC's will be able to run these emus at full speed.
The authors are the ones who decide if their main goal is compatibility or speed and if they are going to use hacks in order to emulate some things.

For example Corn's main goal was speed, on the other hand MAME's main goal is compatibility and "pure" emulation (that is why Corn used a lot of hacks and many N64 features were not emulated. MAME's authors try to emulate as many features as they can and try to avoid hacks and if they use hacks or do not emulate something in order to achive higher speed they remove the hacks and emulate the missing parts when there is hardware able to run the system(s) at full speed)

Emulation is not only the joy of playing our favorite games (this in an advantage of course :) ). It is the pleasure of achieving such a difficult task and sometimes making the impossible possible (ultraHLE anyone?).
That is why the authors release their project(s). If they weren't making any releases and keep their projects private what was going to happen?

The authors just release their projects. The way you are going to use them (if you do) depends on you.

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
Clements said:
You never know, Dolphin's speed may triple

Heh, thats true. But just look at the beginning shots of Zelda WW emulating. It went at 0.02-1 fps. Now, you have Dolphin that can run Zelda at about 7fps. So you never know, maybe the speed WILL increase that much. It juts depends how much they do to improve speed.

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
Clements said:
You never know, Dolphin's speed may triple

Actually believe it or not I don't think it would be too big an ask if the compatibility and speed of the emulator tripled all-around in the next release. Just look at all the basic features the teaser is missing :D... Memcards etc. etc. ... I think there's a high chance we'll be pleasantly surprised.