What's new

1964 vs PJ64 - extreme differences, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

magic0200

Sorry to bother everyone, but I have a weird problem that I can't understand. I have been comparing pj64 (which everyone uses for their emulation machines) to 1964, and 1964 is running every game I throw at it with 100% speed and accuracy. As oppose to pj64, games have serious lag and this has been tested with every type of option change (opengl, d3d, resolution, plugin). Up to this point everyone is still using pj64 and I am wondering why since that software has been stopped for the most part.

Personally, I would LOVE to use 1964 for my emulation machine, but the software does not have ESC key function that reverts you back to your front end software. Does anyone know if 1964 has that hack available and if not how come?

Another question is why aren't people moving towards 1964 since it's still a WIP, when pj64 has slowed to a halt for the most part.

Here are my specs.

AMD 2500
512 mb ram 400mhz 3200
radeon 9600
pleny of hdd space and minimal programs running
Windows XP pro

Clements

Well, Project64 runs better on a lot of people's machines, so they still use it. Despite being discontinued, it was in the works for years and is very polished, probably more advanced than 1964 in some ways still even now.

OP
M

magic0200

Thank you for your reply and info,

I don't see why (pj64) is running horribly on my machine. Even if I can get pj64 to run correctly, I still have only found a couple hacked PJ64 EXE's for the ESC key fuction, however I do not know if they are up to date with the PJ64 Service pak. I hope someone can make a hack for the 1964 emulator.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Use Alt+Enter instead of Escape, this does the same thing as you described the Escape key does.

OP
M

magic0200

I would Say,

but I have an arcade cabinet and right now I have other emulators (MAME, SNES, NES, and GEN) all working with the ESC hack. Since I have a ESC button on my machine to make it simple, I wanted to have a version of 1964 to go with the others. I know that I'm not the only person looking for this :).

Chris_W

magic0200 said:
Thank you for your reply and info,

I don't see why (pj64) is running horribly on my machine. Even if I can get pj64 to run correctly, I still have only found a couple hacked PJ64 EXE's for the ESC key fuction, however I do not know if they are up to date with the PJ64 Service pak. I hope someone can make a hack for the 1964 emulator.

erm do you mean Esc to close Emu ? as Esc on PJ64 Official takes you to Fullscreen and Back again, where as on 1964 it will only take you back to Window from a Fullscreen

BountyJedi

wouldnt alt+enter work? =p neways you could try some key moving software or something to replace your esc key with alt+enter or bind to your joystick or wahtever controller with joytokey the alt+enter combo

OP
M

magic0200

Almost every emulator now has a hacked EXE of the official release on the net that when running an emulation of a game, @ any time you press ESC the program shuts down and moves back to the front end emulation software you are running. This makes the front end able to use various emulators with less buttons and configuration. PJ64 has a hacked exe like this, but 1964 does not. I found a post on the forums here (which is included below) to hack pj64, but it also states that it will pop up an error message, which can revert even the front end back to the windows desktop. I am going to try this hack and post my findings. If anyone knows how to fix that error, please let me know. (PS, this is my first attempt at this) :p

This is exactly what I am trying to do with 1964

I am running Project64 within a Mame cabinet using MameWah frontend and needed to remap the escape key to exit the program instead of it toggling fullscreen, as all my other emulators close with the escape key. I tried various combinations of unpacking programs and resource editors, and here is a step-by-step combination that works:

1. Download "CASPR v1.012" & "CasprGui" from this page: http://www.exetools.com/unpackers.htm. Extract both .zip files in same directory.
2. Download "eXeScope" from this page: http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA003525/Eindex.htm. Extract into any directory.
3. Run "CASPRGUI.exe". Leave Options unchecked, click "Select" and select your "Project64.exe" file in its install directory. Click "Unpack". You should see "Unpack Successful". Close CasprGui.
4. Go to your Project64 directory in Windows Explorer. Rename "Project64.exe" to "Project64 (original).exe" or something similar. Rename "Project64.ex_" to "Project64.exe". If you don't see the file extension, go to Tools->Folder Options->View and uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types"
5. Run "eXeScope.exe" and go to File->Open "Project64.exe" (what was "Project64.ex_"). Expand Resource->Accelerator->141.
6. Find the line "ESC,40123,VIRTKEY,NOINVERT" and change to "ESC,40005,VIRTKEY,NOINVERT" (just the number changes). Go to File->Close and select "Okay" at the dialog box. Close eXeScope.
7. It should now work. I was unsuccessful at repacking the .exe with ASPack, but oh-well. The only difference is its size is 617KB instead of 140KB. I also have a "DirectDraw6 Error.log" created when exiting, but it also creates when pressing Alt-F4 in fullscreen mode with the original .exe file. It seems to overwrite itself so it won't expand incrementally with subsequent program exits.

Update: I see the .log occurs with the default video plug-in. Orkin's glN64.dll doesn't generate it.

PS, Thanks to everyone trying to help me :), can't thank you enough.

Last edited:
OP
M

magic0200

well I got past the escape problem after doing some homework, but I even tried a pj64 vs. 1964 on a dell (maybe thinking it was a pentium vs amd issue) and pj64 still had major lags through out the games.

I truly don't see how PJ is better than 1964 actually, and am I the only one who prefers it?

jdsony

magic0200 said:
well I got past the escape problem after doing some homework, but I even tried a pj64 vs. 1964 on a dell (maybe thinking it was a pentium vs amd issue) and pj64 still had major lags through out the games.

I truly don't see how PJ is better than 1964 actually, and am I the only one who prefers it?

I use 1964 for everything now. Before the latest version I used 1964 for any of the games made by RARE (because it was faster) and Project 64 for almost everything else. 1964 has surpassed Project 64 in most ways and will hopefully have one more version coming out. I think a lot of people use Project 64 still because it had a lot more hype than 1964 ever had and has spread by word of mouth. During the Project 64 era a lot of people were still using UltraHLE because that's the emulator they heard so much about. There are still a huge number of people using NeorageX for neogeo games even though it's not nearly as good as the more recent emulators.

I guess people don't like change?

There are perfectly good reasons to use older unsupported emulators though as Clements said Project 64 is more compatible. NeorageX is faster for people with slow systems. Nesticle has the neat little sprite editing feature :p So if someone using Project 64 hasn't tried 1964 they definitely should try it and see if it works better for them.

OP
M

magic0200

Thanks for the reply JD :)

On a side note, I am testing a hacked exe of 1964 and found that when I right mouse click on the rom and hit "Select and play Full Screen", the game is flickering like a strobe light, and when I hit ESC, it crashed and have to CTRL+ALT+DEL. This also happens when I just hit ALT+ENTER to go to full screen. Now, I have only tried this exe without using MAMEwah (open 1964 and run it w/o any other software).

Also, sometimes it just crashes my machine and have to hit my reboot button, as nothing works (the screen stays on the game image and can't get off of it)

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
just use both. some games that dont work on 1964(wich is my preferred emulator) will on pj64 and vice versa.

OP
M

magic0200

Well, I can't find why PJ64 runs horribly slow but that's ok. I am still currently trying to see if I can get 1964 to work with Mamewah (which is close). I have it to load the emu with the game selected and can exit with esc, but just can't get it to run straight to the game.

I think that it's just time to go from pj64 to 1964 and just be patient with it.

dataangel

I'm confused -- why wouldn't 1964 always run better? If you use the same plugins, and 1964 is supposed to have a much faster emulator core ... ?

Clements

That faster core hogs CPU cycles and causes instability on my system and lock-ups in Goldeneye 007. When you have a fast enough processor, speed is a non-issue - even Mupen is fast for me.

schibo

Emulator Developer
Clements said:
That faster core hogs CPU cycles and causes instability on my system and lock-ups in Goldeneye 007.

I know you mean well, but that conclusion is illogical. If you encounter aberrations, it is not from a "faster core". I don't want people to be mislead to believe a simplified assertion that instability is a consequence of optimization. Also, CPU usage by a process depends on thread priority and how much time a thread is spent sleeping versus processing.

Last edited:

olivieryuyu

schibo said:
I know you mean well, but that is a completely illogical conclusion. If you encounter aberrations, it is not from a "faster core". I don't want people to be mislead to think that stability is necessarily a consequence of optimization. That is a fallacy. Also, CPU usage depends on thread priority and how much time a thread is spent sleeping versus processing.

Right.

But it's also true that 1964 is sometimes unstable and have some issues with some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.