What's new

Goldeneye "Citadel" hidden level revealed after 6 years?

Kethinov

This has caused a huge fuss on various gaming websites today.

A gameshark code which replaces the Cradle with a hidden "developer's" level that's been in the game all this time and has never been discovered until now.

The gameshark code is as follows:

8002A8F7 0029
8104468A 8970
81044690 3F44
81044692 BDEA
81044694 3F80
81044696 0000
81044698 4219
8104469A D89D
80069f80 00C4

That's the good news. Here's the bad news. I've tried for hours to get this thing working in 1964 and Project64 and have had ZERO success. Big hoax? Or is it not in some versions of the ROM? (For that matter, I've never gotten the cheat that takes you to the hidden island on the Dam level to work either, though I can see it with the sniper rifle.)

xdaniel_FWB

Living RCP Hungup
works for me on Emulator Project64 v1.5 using GoldenEye 007 (U) [!] ROM. Start the ROM without cheat codes, then activate the codes on the file select screen. Select any(?) mission/level and you should be taken to that... weird structure.

Last edited:
I also got it to working in 1964, just start the game as normal (without this cheat on) select any game file then turn this cheat on and select any level (single or multiplayer).

OP
Kethinov

Kethinov

I don't think it's in my rom. I followed the instructions you give explicitly. I select say, the facility, but instead of ending up at the "Citadel" I end up at the cradle.

Maybe it's only in the (U) [!] version of the ROM. Mine is just the (U) version :(

xdaniel_FWB

Living RCP Hungup
Kethinov said:
I don't think it's in my rom. I followed the instructions you give explicitly. I select say, the facility, but instead of ending up at the "Citadel" I end up at the cradle.

Maybe it's only in the (U) [!] version of the ROM. Mine is just the (U) version :(
hm... sure it's a US ROM? (and/or a good dump) Try scanning and renaming it through GoodN64. If your ROM gets renamed to "GoldenEye 007 (U) [!]" it should work, if it gets "GoldenEye 007 (E) [!]" or something else you have to get a "real" (U) version...

My95ZR2

Why did they leave it in there? Isn't it just taking up space? OR, maybe there's a secret way to activate it (properly), and only a few people actually know it, and they do it to show their eliteness and all that crap. Okay, maybe not that last part, but there way be a way to properly do it...

Adam

Quvack

My95ZR2 said:
Why did they leave it in there? Isn't it just taking up space? OR, maybe there's a secret way to activate it (properly), and only a few people actually know it, and they do it to show their eliteness and all that crap. Okay, maybe not that last part, but there way be a way to properly do it...

It's very doubtful that theres any secret way to activate it properly, if there was it'd probably have been much easier to find and open. They had to hack soo many things to just get this level loading, and then making it so the player can walk around on it, originally it wasnt even putting the character on the map from what I read, took a whole lotta work to find this code :) Tis one of those ones a lot of n64 Gameshark hackers have been trying to get for years!

Zuzma

That's pretty awsome that they found that. It's on almost every gaming site I've been to online now. I wonder if they could get better results hacking the actual rom rather then using gamshark codes to get the level working. Hehe I smell an extra level ips patch in the future for GE.

Last edited:

My95ZR2

Quvack *snickers at avatar*: How big would this level be? I'm just wondering cause how much of a difference would it make if it was removed?

Adam

Quvack

I dont really think you'll be seeing many rom hacks for extra levels or anything like that for Goldeneye for quite some time, the roms compressed and being a rareware game its an absolute pain in the ass to make codes for :p and with all the other tricks and stuff in the code, its just easier using the gameshark codes than hacking the rom itself.

My95ZR2: I've no idea how big the level would be, but im sure the pain of trying to remove it would not be worth it at all, the rom is like 12mb all up anyway? which is basically nothing, its totally pointless trying to remove stuff like that, theres heaps of beta items and such left in the rom aswell, even removing them would be pointless and save very little room.

Knuckles

Yeah, this famous Citadel :) long time I tried myslelf on my real GameShark.... btw, it reminds me the look of Skedar in multiplayer in Perfect Dark..... the pyramid things... the corridors.....

I'll make this map from ut2k3/4! :)

Legend

Yeah, after a couple drinks, it's one hell of a fun level on multiplayer. I wanted to put the hippie smily here but I can't get them to work for some reason with this new board.

revl8er

That Damn Good
It's amazing how they can hide a level on goldeneye for so long. I'm definately gonna try this code out when I get home.

1337Gaara

heres my question lol WHY would you want to play in that level? looks very crappy from what im seeing and also, it might be cool to find it, but it is a pretty crappy looking place...

OP
Kethinov

Kethinov

It was a testing ground used during the creation of the game. It's kind of a nostolgic fanboy kind of thing to go see the place. Not something I could spend a whole lot of time on either, but it's fun for a few minutes.

I finally got the code to work btw hehe.