What's new

What rom country do people prefer? (please reply as I'm quite curious)

What Country roms do you prefer?

• USA! It's 60fps and lookin' smooth!

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • EUR! It's not quite as fast, but I prefer it the most!

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • JAP! It's the original. Not much difference from USA though...

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don't care, as long as it's playable and fun, nonetheless!

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

jessman1988

Banned
Ok, here's a disscussion on what people prefer. Do most people like to use EUR roms or USA roms? I've been quite curious. EUR roms are a bit slow and seem choppier at points, but hey, it's easier to do things in a game, lmao. I can easily play EUR speed games, but "I" honestly like USA games. I know this seems like I stupid topic, but are there ANY Europian people out there that like USA game more than EUR games? Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your time.

Clements

Almost all the roms I have are (U) roms. I'm english so I don't need extra languages, and I prefer games to run at 60 fps.

OP
jessman1988

jessman1988

Banned
Yeah, I know what you mean, Clements. Thanks for replying. I'm trying to get my hands on US Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark roms though (I own these games so it's been slightly hard adjusting to 50fps, lmao). One reason I made this topic is because I want to see what so EUR users have to say, lol.

scotty

The Great One
I live in Canada, therefore I use USA roms, I basically play what I have rented or I own the cartridges. I wouldnt want another version of the ROM in PAL when I have it in NTSC.

Exceptions: ROM Exclusive in one region, mainly RPG's that are fully translated, most are SNES (Examples: final Fantasy 2,3,5 in Japan, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon). Final Fantasy 4 is used in place of the Final Fantasy 2 ROM as it is a wolf in sheeps clothing (US is easier than the Japan version which I want to play). I do not play any N64 ROMS that are not distributed outside of North America.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
I prefer The PAL Region because they posed a huge challenge to The Emu64 Cheats Team and myself in creating cheat support across the Board for (E), (F), (G), and (A) all action Replay codes at that ;)

Also the benefit of the Pal (EUR) regions is the multi lang support.
So in that respect of a target audience they out way the (U) & (J) as they are just that One set Target Audience.

as for the difference of speed ? youd hardley know the difference.

Last edited:

scotty

The Great One
Gent said:
as for the difference of speed ? youd hardley know the difference.

You have a valid Point Gent, I dont really notice differentces in the speed, I am just accustomed to using NTSC here. I dont really use in-game cheats, so it does not matter. In Europe; they need to have various languages, Im surprised that there wasnt French or Spanish options in North America to come think of it.

Clements

Speed differences are more noticable in games that have lazy PAL conversions such as Wave Race and Mario Kart 64.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I have a full US Set, so the majority of the time is (U) [!], I have a few japanese games, Dobutsu No Mori and Neon Genesis Evangelion, other then that it's always (U)
I wish some translation team would takeon the challenge of making Dobutsu No Mori and Neon Genesis Evangelion (U) traslations though

OP
jessman1988

jessman1988

Banned
Jeez. I didn't think I'd get this many replies! Thanks everyone. Well, I'll admit that PAL has more to offer, but if you play the EUR Majora's Mask and then play the ENG Majora's Mask you'll not really notice too much of a speed difference, but there's DEFINATELY a smoothness difference. I solely like USA roms because they support more cheats (sometimes) and they are MUCH smoother. I have a PAL Perfect Dark rom, and it's so choppy at times that I almost consider it unplayable, lol.

scotty

The Great One
at first; I had the PAL version of Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask, however before my former N64 ROM site got shut down :(, I got a few ROMS in the US version, and replaced a few BAD ROMS (my Goldeneye ROM still sounds different from the actual cartridge game for N64, I thought it was my old computer, but no).

Trotterwatch

but if you play the EUR Majora's Mask and then play the ENG Majora's Mask you'll not really notice too much of a speed difference, but there's DEFINATELY a smoothness difference

That's odd as they are both exactly the same release.

OP
jessman1988

jessman1988

Banned
Trotterwatch said:
That's odd as they are both exactly the same release.

how are the the same? 50fps vs. 60fps? one is slower than the other. The USA and EUR roms aren't the same, are they?

Trotterwatch

You said the ENG and EUR which are the same. The English version is part of the European territory releases.

50 vs 50, now if you'd said USA and EUR in the first place, then all would have been fine.

OP
jessman1988

jessman1988

Banned
Trotterwatch said:
You said the ENG and EUR which are the same. The English version is part of the European territory releases.

50 vs 50, now if you'd said USA and EUR in the first place, then all would have been fine.

OOPS! My bad. I meant USA. Sorry. Thanks Trotterwatch. As usual, you point out more of my flaws then I'd like, lmao.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, it goes like this...
I like NTSC. Why? Because 1) it's released before PAL 2) it's smoother and 3) no sloppy conversion need made.
As for that, I find it very annoying first COVERTING it to PAL (stupid; produces bugs), then TRANSLATING it into a lot of diffrent languages (Geez, just learn english, it's the global language anyway!).
Mostly I don't care, for here, the only translated games we get are children games. Most others are simply english.

Besides, NTSC games are cheaper :inlove: (simply because I live in an expensive country ;))

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Doomulation said:
Well, it goes like this...
I like NTSC. Why? Because 1) it's released before PAL 2) it's smoother and 3) no sloppy conversion need made.
As for that, I find it very annoying first COVERTING it to PAL (stupid; produces bugs), then TRANSLATING it into a lot of diffrent languages (Geez, just learn english, it's the global language anyway!).
Mostly I don't care, for here, the only translated games we get are children games. Most others are simply english.

Besides, NTSC games are cheaper :inlove: (simply because I live in an expensive country ;))

Would you realy be saying that though if:
the Eur regions was also for Sweden, Nehterlands etc ?

And Correct me if I'm wrong here but......
Isnt The NTSC (U) are Trans of the Original (J) Jap Pal60 ? :)
Making the (U) Region one of those sloppy conversion's Doom ? :p

OP
jessman1988

jessman1988

Banned
Who on Earth even invented PAL and NTSC? It's really stupid in my opinion. Why can't we all just use the same speed? nvm...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Gent said:
Would you realy be saying that though if:
the Eur regions was also for Sweden, Nehterlands etc ?
Yes, actually see, I like english more than swedish ;) I always put on english subtitles on dvds instead of the swedish :)

And Correct me if I'm wrong here but......
Isnt The NTSC (U) are Trans of the Original (J) Jap Pal60 ? :)
Making the (U) Region one of those sloppy conversion's Doom ? :p
Ooops! :p

The PAL/NTSC invention...I don't know exactly where it came from, but the purpose of it was to make sure people don't imported stuff from europe from say, usa.