What's new

Why are textures ugly?

Belross

Specs: Windows XP MCE, Athlon XP 2500+, 512 RAM, Voodoo 3 3000 PCI (I use Glide64 of course.)

Ok, this might be a noob question, but we all squeeze one out once in a while. Is it just me, or are emulated textures somewhat less quality than the real thing? I specifically mean 2D textures, for example menus and title screens. I notice this most while playing Zelda, because the icons are about half of their original resolution. I remember N64 textures being very nice and smooth... not Mr Ugly at all. (A rather large example) I guess all I really want to know is this: are ugly textures normal? I find it hard to believe that they are... it's probably the fault of my ancient Voodoo 3, although I couldn't think of why.

Another few problems I'd like to know if they're common: the Ocarina of Time item menu. When I press Start, it takes like 5 seconds to open... while the Majora's Mask menu opens great. On the other hand, when I try to look at "invisible" objects with the Lens of Truth in MM, the screen goes white, and sound/graphics slow to a crawl.

So tell me o' gurus, what's up?

Clements

-2D stuff can look pixelated especially at high resolutions as the native resolution of an N64 is low even in high res modes (can't remember the exact resolutions) as it is blown up to fit your monitor. Try forcing bilinear in the filtering mode options to improve it.

-Change the counter factor in the Rom settings to '1' to greatly reduce the wait of the menu appearing.

-The lens of truth is a framebuffer effect, so use the latest version of Glide64 (0.5) and turn on the framebuffer in the options - this may be slow as it says. If that doesn't work, you may have to switch to Jabo's plugin instead if it becomes difficult to progress.

Hope that solves all your problems!

OP
B

Belross

Clements said:
-2D stuff can look pixelated especially at high resolutions as the native resolution of an N64 is low even in high res modes (can't remember the exact resolutions) as it is blown up to fit your monitor. Try forcing bilinear in the filtering mode options to improve it.

-Change the counter factor in the Rom settings to '1' to greatly reduce the wait of the menu appearing.

-The lens of truth is a framebuffer effect, so use the latest version of Glide64 (0.5) and turn on the framebuffer in the options - this may be slow as it says. If that doesn't work, you may have to switch to Jabo's plugin instead if it becomes difficult to progress.

Hope that solves all your problems!
Thanks for the tips... I guess for the textures, the PC will never be identical to an N64, so that can't be helped. Changing the counter factor helped greatly, thanks! As to the Lens of Truth problem, I think it's my video card's fault. No matter what I try with Glide, it remains slow and the rendering problem is still. Jabo's D3D plugin is highly incompatible with my card also. I'll probably end up just dealing with it until I can get a new card.

jollyrancher

Actually if you play PJ64 on a tv with tv-out it looks just like the real N64... maybe better because the tv has a natural blurring effect reducing pixelation. If you're playing on a monitor at a high resolution you might want to try Rice's video plugin with some of the advanced video blitters like 2XSAI, etc. However, Rice's video might not work great with a Voodoo 3.