What's new

Poll - GameCube - Commercially Dead?

Nintendo GameCube - R.I.P.?

• It's the N64 all over again. Faliure is a sure thing.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Yes, because Nintendo Europe/UK Suck(ed) Ass... Big Time. Morons!

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No... wait, there's still a chance for the machine no one wants to sell...

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • What's a "GameCube"? Never even knew it was out. (See what I did there?)

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Given that the last truly worthwhile (i.e. "must have") GameCube title for the forseeable future came out just short of 3 months ago now in the UK, Argos also dropping the machine etc, would you agree the GameCube is to just about all intents and purposes commercially dead?
(that is, in terms of the general public actually considering going out and buying the machine and software now.)

(n.b. Mario Kart and Mario Golf are not to be considered reasons for future 'Cube purchases by the general public as far as this poll goes, given that likely only the existing 'Cube market will really buy for a machine this far gone...)

2fast4u

your poll is biased as hell, rather redundant to vote as the options say about the same thing, just different wording

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
IMO, nintendo just hasn't been the same since the snes, I haven't liked em ever since and they haven't changed enough in the gamecube era vs the n64 era, hence, I opt for the "It's the N64 all over again. Faliure is a sure thing." option.

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
2fast4u said:
your poll is biased as hell, rather redundant to vote as the options say about the same thing, just different wording
Option 3 is as close as needed to a "no"... it's hardly a complex topic really. You either realise it's failing and provide the most agreed reason why, or think there's still a chance. Polls are redundant anyway, I'm just interested what people think.

ReEDIT: Think about your reply. Don't be overcome by basic "fanboy-ism", be brutally honest.

Last edited:

Remote

GC isn't commercially dead, perhaps it's not a blockbuster but they have not made the same mistakes as with the n64 but different and new ones. Of course people are going for what hip and looks best, I bought the GC only to see Link cel shaded but I would have been better off with a PS2 or a Xbox.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
AlphaWolf said:
IMO, nintendo just hasn't been the same since the snes, I haven't liked em ever since and they haven't changed enough in the gamecube era vs the n64 era, hence, I opt for the "It's the N64 all over again. Faliure is a sure thing." option.

ROFL! OMG! LOL!

You don't think they've changed since the N64 era?! Hahaha... now THAT'S comedy... woo...

Anyway, I withhold my vote in this poll, because I don't agree with any of the options.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Stalkid64 said:
Option 3 is as close as needed to a "no"... it's hardly a complex topic really. You either realise it's failing and provide the most agreed reason why, or think there's still a chance. Polls are redundant anyway, I'm just interested what people think.

ReEDIT: Think about your reply. Don't be overcome by basic "fanboy-ism", be brutally honest.
Don't let fanboyism get in your way either. Your poll is in fact very unbiased.

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
vampireuk said:
Don't let fanboyism get in your way either. Your poll is in fact very unbiased.
I'm a "Nintendo fanboy"... yet I'm posting a poll apparently biased against Nintendo... Yet there's a suggestion there that fanboyism is getting in my way... and I voted that the GameCube deserves to fail over here due to Nintendo EU/UK being overcomplacent.
Picture me confused. ;)

Last edited:
OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Tagrineth said:
stalkid, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. period.
I never claimed I did. Okay so I do actually know what I'm talking about mostly, but still I never claimed it.
Seemed a lot funnier when I thought about it though. :beer:

Note to self - remember I know what I'm talking about usually.

Edit: Finally an emoticon that fits in with real life pauses in thought. Hey, it's like a comma! Except for someone drinking beer at the end of a sentence rather than thinking.

Last edited:

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
It's just me or all the options in the poll are actually a 'yes'?

You left us (well me if i'm the only one) that still hope Nintendo can push up the GC.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Option 3 is a "no," however it does indirectly state that the GCN is currently in bad shape and there is only a "chance" of it succeeding. The poll doesn't have "It's sure to pick up" and "What are you talking about? It was never dying in the first place" options.

I'm a Nintendo Fanboy in the sense that I grew up with the NES/SNES and am partially dissapointed with the N64 and extremely dissapointed with the GCN and dissapointed beyond belief with what we know and can infer about the company's future. They are riding the wave of a metaphorical flush, and i'm really saddened and angered that the gaming company I loved has chosen to produce nothing but garbage and games for children, in a much different sense that older games were. There are no "all ages" games anymore, and it really sucks ass. And that's only part of Nintendo's problem.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
They are basically all "no."
The last option is rather a little harsh on those who still believe in the machine. The fact is that the system still has some good games and some more games will pop in somewhat soon.

Tri-Force

Philosopher Warrior
gc sales are going up while the other 2 system's sales are going down. something to think about.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
What happened with the nintendo UK/europe? Are you talking about a specific decision/event or is this about getting shittier versions of games later than us/jap?

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Stalkid64 said:
Given that the last truly worthwhile (i.e. "must have") GameCube title for the forseeable future came out just short of 3 months ago now in the UK, Argos also dropping the machine etc, would you agree the GameCube is to just about all intents and purposes commercially dead?
(that is, in terms of the general public actually considering going out and buying the machine and software now.)

(n.b. Mario Kart and Mario Golf are not to be considered reasons for future 'Cube purchases by the general public as far as this poll goes, given that likely only the existing 'Cube market will really buy for a machine this far gone...)

I don't think it's dead, but it does seem the situation is bad in other areas where they make people wait so long for their releases. Also with the Game Boy Player out I'm sure some will purchase the GC just for that.

I agree with many though, that your poll is biast. If your truly intristed in seeing what others think, you should cover as many diffrent options as you can. At least that's how I feel.

However, it would be nice to see Nintendo doing better, but it's not a life or deat thing, you know? If they do eventually die, maybe we buy up their copyrights and make some legized "PC versions". :happy:

By the by, today is my 21st birthday, yAy! :icecream:

Davemc

Dave
N64 was the best console ever IMO. So people who don't like it can fuck off. I still play it all the time. (Multiplayer)

smegforbrain

dayve said:
N64 was the best console ever IMO. So people who don't like it can fuck off. I still play it all the time. (Multiplayer)

*chuckle* I'm tempted to get one now, as there is a few titles I enjoyed playing when a friend had an N64.

But, much like the N64, the GC just doesn't have a worthwhile number of titles. Same goes for XBox. (I'm not into Zelda or overly into Doom and however many games that has spawned over the years :)

Nintendo knocked down Atari, Sony knocked down Nintendo. Sega and Microsoft are nice challenges, but Sega has already bowed out and although Microsoft can spend money like it grows on trees, it won't last forever unless they take a larger share with the next next-generation system.

But then, as is proven in the past, Sony may not stay on top forever.
I just don't think Nintendo will be the one to unseat them. Microsoft might, but it doesn't look very promising atm.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth said:
ROFL! OMG! LOL!

You don't think they've changed since the N64 era?! Hahaha... now THAT'S comedy... woo...

Well "changed" is only a relative term in this context. In the snes era, they had a lot better games, then the n64 era changed (a pretty big change at that), and the GC era hasn't changed enough from the n64 era to actualy matter. Therefore, it hasn't changed :p

Er wait a sec...I never said that it hasn't at all changed to begin with as you said anyways :happy:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.