What's new

Poll - GameCube - Commercially Dead?

Nintendo GameCube - R.I.P.?

• It's the N64 all over again. Faliure is a sure thing.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Yes, because Nintendo Europe/UK Suck(ed) Ass... Big Time. Morons!

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No... wait, there's still a chance for the machine no one wants to sell...

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • What's a "GameCube"? Never even knew it was out. (See what I did there?)

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty

The Great One
I thinik there may be a chance for Gamecube. Nintendo is trying to attract developers to develop games. However I still think that it will be worse off than N64 because they are missing Rare, without Rare; Nintendo is nothing. I think as soon as Rare gets back into the game, then they will get Xbox sales up.

Nintendo is working hard, they are starting to get developers back slowly, but the problem is that many developers are making their titles exclusively for the Playstation 2 system due to the higher sales that are being made from it.

scotty

The Great One
The Gamecube production halt is a good move for Nintendo, and if they do release their new console in I think 2005 is the rumoured year, they will have to make less of the console. Nintendo willl probably make that console their final one if they do not get any good sales in it.

The Problem with Xbox is that they do not have Japanese sales, The American and Japanaese markets are pretty big, they need to get some Japanese developer to target that market (I didnt forget about Europe).

Nintendo also has to target the TEEN market, many say the mature market, what about the teens, they are the ones that play. The mature market is usually busy with life, the Teen market is a bigger deal if you ask me. Nintendo has to release games that appeal to Teens, I think they have to get some more trademarks, other than Mario, Zelda, Metroid and F-Zero. They have to get some fighting games as well ie; Bring back Punch-out (even though the same develpment team probably will not get back together).

NeoNight

Bah rare is nothing specail now IMO, half of their team members left.... and am a bit iffy about Conker Live and uncut

smegforbrain

scotty said:
Nintendo is working hard, they are starting to get developers back slowly, but the problem is that many developers are making their titles exclusively for the Playstation 2 system due to the higher sales that are being made from it.

Well, there are a number of games made exclusively for the GC and X-Box as well.

scotty

The Great One
smegforbrain said:
Well, there are a number of games made exclusively for the GC and X-Box as well.

That is true, but most of the games that are exclusive are for Playstation 2, and if the games are for any console, they will buy the Playstation 2, why buy another console?

Dont get me wrong, GC and XBox have exclusive titles, mostly by the developers of the same company.

smegforbrain

scotty said:
That is true, but most of the games that are exclusive are for Playstation 2, and if the games are for any console, they will buy the Playstation 2, why buy another console?

You want to play the latest Zelda game? :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
This site was previously (in 2001) saying that the gamedube was going to do the best, now they are saying the opposite. :p

Also mentioned on that site is about Starcraft: Ghost being an x-box exclusive...wouldn't be very surprising if it was true, since the only screenshots that have ever been shown were of the xbox version.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
I don't see how does that comic has anything to do with how good the game is. After all, Blizzard didn't create WC3 either, it was Blizzard North which is a division of Blizzard, and WC3 was good.

smegforbrain

AlphaWolf said:
Also mentioned on that site is about Starcraft: Ghost being an x-box exclusive...wouldn't be very surprising if it was true, since the only screenshots that have ever been shown were of the xbox version.

I'd be more concerned about whether they actually ever release the game, much less on which system.

It's one thing that's really put me off toward Blizzard, is their lack of being able to stick to a deadline.

Anyways, I read from the start that Starcraft: Ghost was an XBox only release, which, considering sales right now of the consoles, would be a mistake.

Maybe the day a Zelda game is released for the PS2 is the day I'll buy one. :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
smegforbrain said:
Anyways, I read from the start that Starcraft: Ghost was an XBox only release, which, considering sales right now of the consoles, would be a mistake.

Well, xbox console sales are doing better than gamecube console sales in their target markets.

Macca

if its sales your concerned about just wait till the end of the year when pokemon comes out. the sales boost GC gets in Japan alone will push it ahead of the xbox.

I dont like pokemon, and would never buy it (im sure many people here would agree), but the fact is a hell of a lot of people will buy the console just for it.

nullroute

Lost and loving it
Nintendo has been in a slow demise every since the screwed Sony. And it didn't help when they pissed off Squaresoft. Sony dominates the market right now, and Micro$hit is doing what they do best : using large guns to muscle their way into what ever market that they want to take over.

The real tragidy was the lose of Sega... but they did it to themselves when they didn't both to see if the Dreamcast was playable with those massive controllers.

Last edited:

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
DuDe said:
I don't see how does that comic has anything to do with how good the game is. After all, Blizzard didn't create WC3 either, it was Blizzard North which is a division of Blizzard, and WC3 was good.

By WC3, Blizzard North has already proven themselves with D2. What has Nihilistic done before Ghost? All ive found is a game from 2000 called "Vampire: The Masquerade"...not nearly as good as blizzard's lineup of legendary games. In my eyes, they have yet to prove themselves worthy of a starcraft caliber game. And these guys are responsible for Artwork and Coding, two major part of any game. So the thing is, yes StarCraft Ghost may very well turn out to be an awesome game, but right now, its not garenteed to be killer app (unlike zeldas, marios, gran turismos). StarCraft: Ghost may not necessarily have a big impact on whatever system it comes out in.

Tag: Tell me, since Blizzard is doing design for this game, what awesome third-person stealth shooter has Blizzard done in its history? Again, another unknown, and thus another possiblility for fuck up. With all these unknowns, its too soon to assume Ghost will be good when it comes.

The thing that StarCraft: Ghost has going for it (and this is a big thing, all that any game can ask for), is the Blizzard Polish(tm). As you all know, Blizzard polishes every one of their games till it shines like a bastard. And this takes time. So its either going to come out early with a big possiblility that its going to suck, or come out late, with a heavy blizzard coat of polish goodness, and not matter by then, as this generation of 'system wars' would probably be over by the time blizzard is done.

ps: Is it just me, or is some of the abilities sorta gimmicky? the call down nuke worked well in sc, but has anything of that magnitude ever worked on any shooter without being overpowered or restricted to a near scripted event?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Macca said:
if its sales your concerned about just wait till the end of the year when pokemon comes out. the sales boost GC gets in Japan alone will push it ahead of the xbox.

That just does more to prove that its a kiddie console, and IMO won't improve their console sales by much at all. Maybe they might sell a bunch of pokecrap alike games, but their user base will still remain pretty much the same, which does not help them in the long term.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
pj64er said:
By WC3, Blizzard North has already proven themselves with D2. What has Nihilistic done before Ghost? All ive found is a game from 2000 called "Vampire: The Masquerade"...not nearly as good as blizzard's lineup of legendary games. In my eyes, they have yet to prove themselves worthy of a starcraft caliber game. And these guys are responsible for Artwork and Coding, two major part of any game. So the thing is, yes StarCraft Ghost may very well turn out to be an awesome game, but right now, its not garenteed to be killer app (unlike zeldas, marios, gran turismos). StarCraft: Ghost may not necessarily have a big impact on whatever system it comes out in.
You see, what's wrong here is your initial point, in which you claimed that you're not as hyped by SC:G because it's made by Nihilistic, and not by Blizzard. To that I say, so what? What has Croteam done before Serious Sam? What has Capcom done before Street Fighter? What has Blizzard done before Warcraft? Precisely zit, nada, nothing. And that's why I never dismiss a game before I get to play it because it's made (or not made) by a certain company.
And for the protocol : Redemption is by far one of the most underrated RPG games of all time, mainly because it's reviewed before it was patched the hell up.

Status
Not open for further replies.