What's new

Poll - GameCube - Commercially Dead?

Nintendo GameCube - R.I.P.?

• It's the N64 all over again. Faliure is a sure thing.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Yes, because Nintendo Europe/UK Suck(ed) Ass... Big Time. Morons!

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No... wait, there's still a chance for the machine no one wants to sell...

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • What's a "GameCube"? Never even knew it was out. (See what I did there?)

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stezo2k

S-2K
nephalim said:
I'm a Nintendo Fanboy in the sense that I grew up with the NES/SNES and am partially dissapointed with the N64 and extremely dissapointed with the GCN and dissapointed beyond belief with what we know and can infer about the company's future. They are riding the wave of a metaphorical flush, and i'm really saddened and angered that the gaming company I loved has chosen to produce nothing but garbage and games for children, in a much different sense that older games were. There are no "all ages" games anymore, and it really sucks ass. And that's only part of Nintendo's problem.

well said there mate, i totally agree, i've never owned a nes though, i was a bit young back then, i owna SNES though, and i am still impressed even now, it was a quality console, the n64 had some really great games, but only some, now gamecube is similar, the only game i've liked is resident evil 1 & 0, and before you say i havent owned one, i have, and i wasnt pleased at all, i swapped mine for a ps2 6months later, and i still has to put more cash towards it too.

Stezo2k

S-2K
dayve said:
N64 was the best console ever IMO. So people who don't like it can fuck off. I still play it all the time. (Multiplayer)

Look we are entitled to our own oppinion, but we wasnt flaming n64, so dont make a bad situation worse

Stezo2k

S-2K
i hate to sound like a spammer, but according to neowin, the gamecube has only sold 80,000 in japan this quarter, and a couple of Million GBAs have been sold, so it shows how bad they are doing, i'm sad to see this happen, they can produce great games if they wanted to, its being aimed at kids which is the reason why its so unpopular

check the story here

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=gamers&id=13180

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Stezo2k said:
i hate to sound like a spammer, but according to neowin, the gamecube has only sold 80,000 in japan this quarter, and a couple of Million GBAs have been sold, so it shows how bad they are doing, i'm sad to see this happen, they can produce great games if they wanted to, its being aimed at kids which is the reason why its so unpopular

check the story here

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=gamers&id=13180

You know, I am not sure if its just the "kids" market that is causing their problems. In fact, I remember I started getting bored with nintendo a short time after they began producing and licensing games for mature audiences (e.g. killer instinct). I think the problem is they just lack originality these days, and they treat those who do have originality (3rd parties) like shit with this "were better than you no matter what" attitude.

smegforbrain

AlphaWolf said:
You know, I am not sure if its just the "kids" market that is causing their problems.

Depends on how you look at it. Nintendo is still banking on Mario to sell games for them, and Mario comes off as a kid-thing, atleast imo.

Take Mario Golf for GC versus Outlaw Golf for PS2 (not sure if it's on XBox), for example. :)

But in general, alot of the GC games look like they're made for kids anyways. Those for PS2 and XBox, in general, don't.

The GBA is a great thing though... it's just too bad alot of the games are just SNES rereleases, and their banking on the fact that they have a new, younger audience to buy them.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
smegforbrain said:
Depends on how you look at it. Nintendo is still banking on Mario to sell games for them, and Mario comes off as a kid-thing, atleast imo.
That I must CERTAINLY agree on. The newest mario seems soooooooooo childish to me. Nintendo is certainly doing to much childish games ><
I mean, running around with a water gun seemed stupid enough when i heard of it, and after watching a demo it was yet worse than I had anticipated. :plain: :down:

Macca

AlphaWolf said:
I think the problem is they just lack originality these days, and they treat those who do have originality (3rd parties) like shit with this "were better than you no matter what" attitude.

Wow. i never thought i would hear that. the name nintendo is synonymous with originality. If anything their problem is they have been experimenting TOO much and people havent adoped to their new styles.

Have you not seen pikmin?
Animal crossing ring a bell?
cell shading zelda?
mario with a waterpipe trying to clean up a city?
Wario ware - 200 5 second mini game complication?
Kirbys new outing
i could go on but you gotta be getting the hint..

also notice how the games listed are probably the most 'disapointing' to the mass consumers (i love them but as seen in this thread they are contantly bagged).

I dont know what you want nintendo to do, produce more original games and get pulled further down by consumers unhappy with them, or stick to their guns and use their world renowned franchises to make quality games (mario golf/kart/tenns zeldas, metroids and pokemons). Either way they seem to be bagged. i personally believe they have reached a balance of original and 'old franchise' games but its not my opinion that sells them millions of games.

i respect your opinion but in my eyes its well, wrong :D

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Macca said:
Wow. i never thought i would hear that. the name nintendo is synonymous with originality. If anything their problem is they have been experimenting TOO much and people havent adoped to their new styles.

First of all, something is only original for so long. Second of all, their new styles are:

Have you not seen pikmin?
gay
Animal crossing ring a bell?
gay
cell shading zelda?
very very gay
mario with a waterpipe trying to clean up a city?
omg this just gets gayer
Wario ware - 200 5 second mini game complication?
this is getting too gay! STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
Kirbys new outing
thats it...you've REALY done it this time...

Macca

roflmao :happy:

thanks for proving my point alpha. (nintendo tries something original and people dislike them, and some people can as far as calling them gay...)

oh and you may need to look into your continual homosexual references towards video games, i myself never have sexual feelings on the topic of games let alone same sex feelings (i mean looking at games i just dont see gay images) but each to their own and i respect your stance on your sexuality. :teehee:

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Macca said:
roflmao :happy:
thanks for proving my point alpha. (nintendo tries something original and people dislike them, and some people can as far as calling them gay...)

Thats the thing though, I wouldn't dare call it original. If it was truely original, it would sell, but its just the same old crap over and over again, only each time they do it, they slap a different name and new artwork over it.

smegforbrain

Macca said:
I dont know what you want nintendo to do, produce more original games and get pulled further down by consumers unhappy with them, or stick to their guns and use their world renowned franchises to make quality games (mario golf/kart/tenns zeldas, metroids and pokemons).

The thing that Nintendo seems to fail to realize is that the original audience for these games has grown up.

If they wish to retain the existing audience for these games, then the games need to grow up too.

Now, that's not to say that Mario needs to go bend Princess Toadstool over the nearest pipe or anything. Indeed, I don't see how they could do much else than what they're doing with Mario.

And let's not even go anywhere with Pokemon; I could care less about that garbage.

But what did the the last Zelda game offer? Cell-shading? Who cares. Fans want a game that doesn't look like it's made for 8 year olds. :)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
AlphaWolf said:
I think the problem is they just lack originality these days, and they treat those who do have originality (3rd parties) like shit with this "were better than you no matter what" attitude.

bwahahahaha! hahahahahaha...

Youre not serious, are you? Of the hundreds of third party games coming out for every system this year, how many can you name that are not sequels, shitty clones, and are remotely good? Go on, if you get over 10, you get a cookie!

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
AlphaWolf said:
Thats the thing though, I wouldn't dare call it original. If it was truely original, it would sell, but its just the same old crap over and over again, only each time they do it, they slap a different name and new artwork over it.

Name me a game thats even remotely like warioware and you get ANOTHER cookie!!!!!1!111one

Stezo2k

S-2K
lmfao alphawolf at that gay pic:)

heh, glad we all agree about someting heh, yeah it is more appealing for kids, i dont see many with one, it may be due to the gameboy, loads of kids own one.

Kids like to idolise a lot, that may be one of the reasons, they aint exactly gunna say they wanna be like luigi and get scared shitless, i'm guessing their idols are in ps2/xbox games like devil may cry or splinter cell, i wouldnt exactly call the xbox a kids console, its more aimed for serious gamers/PC gamers, one of the reasons why the ps2s are so popular

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Well, I just pre-ordered F-Zero GX and Soul Calibur II. I'll list some of the reasons why I chose to pre-order these (which will probably help the GC tremendously).

F-Zero GX:

1. Pure speed. If the speed doesn't appeal to you maybe #2 will.
2. Arcade/home console barrier broken. Players will be allowed to play the game and raise stats etc and bring them to the arcade to play your game on F-Zero AX (the arcade equivilent of GX). :):)

Soul Calibur II:

1. Link. I'm sure veteran gamers will choose the GCN version because of Link. I mean, who would want Spawn or Heihachi over Link!?!?
2. If you want Heihachi, you'll need to get the PS2 version which has the least polished graphics of the three versions.
3. The GCN controller simply owns the ps2 and xbox controllers in SC II. If you don't believe me, go to your local GameStop or EB Games and play the demo version. :)

Bottom line - The GCN still has lots of room and time to become killer. ;) :cheers:

Remote

Very true, Soul Caliber is a good, solid title. Pretty much a must in my book. Not so sure about F-Zero though but for overall & Japan sales it's a good move from Nintendo...

Cooliscool, your signature is broke. It looks like you forgot a [ and / or ] somewhere...

Last edited:

2fast4u

f-zero gx should be the only gc game im gonna buy in the next few months. hint hint, its a nintendo-only title again.

Status
Not open for further replies.