What's new

GoodN64 Problem

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I did a GoodN64 run on my ROMS, and 2 came up hacked. I applied a patch that should work, at least for one of them. However, GoodN64 refuses to do the process again! I even moved all the ROMS to a totally different directory, but it won't rename them again, all it does is give me the useless "roms I have" texts. How can I reset GoodN64...what's going on? :plain:

Allnatural

If it doesn't rename/move the roms, it usually means it doesn't recognize them. Maybe the patch buggered it.

OP
nephalim

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
No, it's not moving/renaming (well, they are already renamed..) known ROMS that weren't patched as well.

Clements

There is no easy way to 'reset' the GoodTools. There is a way though, delete GoodN64, re-download it and extract it.

Using GoodN64 changes one of its files permanantly, so if you deleted a rom, you'll still get it in the have list.

Hopefully that will fix your problem as well.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
nephalim said:
I did a GoodN64 run on my ROMS, and 2 came up hacked. I applied a patch that should work, at least for one of them. However, GoodN64 refuses to do the process again! I even moved all the ROMS to a totally different directory, but it won't rename them again, all it does is give me the useless "roms I have" texts. How can I reset GoodN64...what's going on? :plain:

I had the exact same type of problem, but was with the Mario Kart 64 (U) [h1] (cartname) ROM.

The reason was the ROM patching process failed and corrupted the Mario Kart 64 ROM.

Clements

Some IPS patchers are more reliable than others. It is not 100% certain that a rom will be patched correctly. This is why you should always back-up your roms to be on the safe side. You can always try again or use a different IPS program to see if you get better results.

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
The IPS/APS patcher also won't understand if the ROM hasn't been byteswapped and the patch is for the byteswapped one, and vice versa. So you might want to byteswap your hacked ROMs, repatch them and pass them through GoodN64 again.

You can "reset" the good tools without completely deleting the directory. You just delete the *Miss.txt and *Have.txt file, and in newer versions, you should delete the Good*.db file as well.