What's new

What to do next (Off topic post.)

JohnnyA

I don't see why speed is such a priority to some people. People can increase speed on their own (i.e. buy a new computer), but people cannot increase compatability on their own. That is why we need people like icepir8 to make their plugins more compatable. An plugin's code can be cleaned up after the plugin is "finished" being written.

Just my 2c...

:homestar:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
JohnnyA said:
I don't see why speed is such a priority to some people. People can increase speed on their own (i.e. buy a new computer), but people cannot increase compatability on their own. That is why we need people like icepir8 to make their plugins more compatable. An plugin's code can be cleaned up after the plugin is "finished" being written.

Just my 2c...

:homestar:
Maybe they can't "afford" it. New computer harware costs.

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Not to divert this thread from what it really is about, but "can't afford"?? How old of a system then are authors expected to support simply because someone can't afford to upgrade?

Doomulation

Really, now. Most people hang around 600 mhz or older. Even the authors have old specs! So you see why it's necessary? And to add at that, most people don't know how to "upgrade." They don't know anything about hardware. So they have to buy an entirely new computer!

That costs!

krazzykilla

asking a question

Hey anyone know how to get past this black screen on duke nukem zero hour??? im using the newest versoin of project 64.

everytime in go past the training area it freezes and a black screen is there... id tryed fixing it for 1 month now.. plz help:doh:

Doomulation

Ok but next time, try to start a new thread.
Anyway, is it good rom? Use goodn64 below to see if it is or not.

GuestX

Doomulation said:
Really, now. Most people hang around 600 mhz or older. Even the authors have old specs! So you see why it's necessary? And to add at that, most people don't know how to "upgrade." They don't know anything about hardware. So they have to buy an entirely new computer!

That costs!

Yeah, like me :cry:

but 500 mhz are enough for n64 emulation... with uhle2064...
on my p2 400 gf4 uhle2064 runs still not full speed... :cry:

scotty

The Great One
my computer is half decent with 1000MHz, but there are still some games that ruin slow, heck on 1964 sometimes they go too quick, that is why speed is in order for why it is necessary, a plugin with good compatibility is good to have, but I would prefer to have an emulator that is stable (PJ64), and a video/audio plugin that is stable

SculleatR said:
Yeah, like me :cry:

but 500 mhz are enough for n64 emulation... with uhle2064...
on my p2 400 gf4 uhle2064 runs still not full speed... :cry:
I know it sounds stupid, but I think it's the best to make a DOS-n64 emulator to get the best speed out of it. The real N64 has only got 95 mhz, and 4 mb ram (expandable to 8 mb), and you can only get something near that speed with no other resources (like windows, loaded dll-files), and DOS is the only OS which hasn't got that.

Clements

I get full speed on almost all games now... and it cost me £440 (that includes the installation and XP Home, thank you AUTDirect :) )

I would also like an improved RSP plugin (eg. Rice's Unofficial partially fixed RE2)

Clements said:
I get full speed on almost all games now... and it cost me £440
Yes, with your system, but I think some people with oldies (< PII 450 mhz), would like to see a faster emulator or a better version of corn!

Last edited:

Doomulation

mightyrocket said:
I know it sounds stupid, but I think it's the best to make a DOS-n64 emulator to get the best speed out of it. The real N64 has only got 95 mhz, and 4 mb ram (expandable to 8 mb), and you can only get something near that speed with no other resources (like windows, loaded dll-files), and DOS is the only OS which hasn't got that.
It's hard to program for dos. Especially with graphics, since you can't use apis like opengl and directx.
But it's true, though. Windows is a resource hogl.

Clements

I couldn't use a DOS emulator (XP) and I'm not going to do a dual boot. I can't run the latest releases of RockNES for example.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
It's true that DOS isn't taking any ressource but it also doesn't provide any service to the programmer, there's no memory cache, no thread, no accelerated graphics and sound... Last but not least, i don't remember what's the maximum amount of RAM supported by DOS but it's not very high, which also means less possible optimization....

Doomulation

I've had no trouble running any dos games in xp. Sound, however, could be a problem. But there's a solution to that too :D if you need it, as i must find it again :p

icepir8

Hacktarux said:
It's true that DOS isn't taking any ressource but it also doesn't provide any service to the programmer, there's no memory cache, no thread, no accelerated graphics and sound... Last but not least, i don't remember what's the maximum amount of RAM supported by DOS but it's not very high, which also means less possible optimization....
Not to forget DOS is a 16bit enviroment. To run 32bit apps you need a DOS extender like PharLap. Not fun at all.

Dark Stalker

Not to mention DOS is the worst piece of crap ever made (together with windows).

QDOS= Quick and Dirty Operating System.

Which Microsoft bought/swindled, and renamed Disk Operating System.

I really don't think resource usage is the biggest problem for most to run games at good speed. It seems it's most demanding on the processor, and I don't think cpu cycles are stolen very much (by most OSs) compered to RAM usage. In my experience the RAM usage hasn't been very impacting.

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
LOL QDOS!

I have not heard that term in eons, hehe. I remember way back trying to squeeze as much ram from the 640k base with program like EMM386 or Quartedeck's memory manager.

Man those were the days (and much glad they are gone!)