What's new

Renaming Rom question

ReplicatorX

hello, I have a small question about the renaming of roms.
Iv'e heard many people say it's best to rename your roms to the correct name, I use GoodSnes all the time to verify and rename my roms etc.

But what I want to know is, say I have the Legend of Zelda for Snes rom but I renamed it to the name of my choice (seeing as GoodSnes renames it to something like "Legend of Zelda, the (U).smc") and I rename it to something like "Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (U).smc" would that have any problems in anyway?

And RomCenter reports some roms as bad names and wants me to rename them to extensions such as .fig and .mgd, if I left them as .smc so GoodSnes can still use them would that be a problems?

Clements

ReplicatorX said:

But what I want to know is, say I have the Legend of Zelda for Snes rom but I renamed it to the name of my choice (seeing as GoodSnes renames it to something like "Legend of Zelda, the (U).smc") and I rename it to something like "Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (U).smc" would that have any problems in anyway?

If I understand you correctly, you can rename them to anything you want, but it is easier if everyone uses the same name for roms, which is whats good about the GoodTools.

As for RomCenter, I've heard nothing positive about it, just that it can destroy roms (read the reviews at download.com) If the roms are verified by GoodSNES, they will work, whatever the file extension. The extension just shows which copier it was dumped with. I'd stick to using GoodSNES and ignore Romcenter.

OP
R

ReplicatorX

cheers just what I wanted to hear..on a side note, iv'e been debating wether to zip up my roms or not, whats your opinion on that? do most people zip them? are they're any disadvantages having them zipped? I found that I can't use zbattle to play online when they're zipped as zbattle doesn't have zip support (or so it seems)

Clements

If you have the space, you can just leave them unzipped (I do) Some people may experience slowdowns/speed ups playing games depending on their system config.

I could see why zBattle.net would have trouble with the zipping, so if online Snes is something you do a lot, unzipping them makes sense.

Also, zipping only saves a small amount of space unless you have a mammoth collection of roms.

So, all considered, I'd leave them unzipped.