What's new

wow im a lucky one this week

Buck_Bucholz

i like to put holes in my face
wow look at this amazing thing.... got it from a old coworker who likes to buy new computers rather than upgrade/ use antivirus....what a virus!?!..(better get a new computer) old people frighten me sometimes...anyway here it is a pavilion 8160....pentium with ati rage xl...... so im gonna upgrade of course, just for my little brother so nothin special...i was thinkin amd t-bird maybe with a light video card, just a 16mb anyway im only gonna spend like 100 bucks at the most, what does any one recommend for this mean machine?......remember i dont care about this computer much so no top of the line stuff cause thats what i always get when i ask for suggestions...:satisfied
proubly just go for a mobocombo deal, with the processor, but only got a hundred so maybe not, just a quick motherboard+videocard+amd= happy me;)

Last edited:

Flash

Technomage
I've got Cel600/384/20G/TNT1 16M for free.

The problem was in 64mb DIMM

I've figured this out after two weeks

It was Micron 64M... PC-66 module working on 100Mhz. And it passed 24 hours of memory testing but there was random hangups and somtimes files written to HDD was written to /dev/null :)
I've replaced f....ng DIMM with 2x1024 Transcend ECC PC-133 - no glitches.
And CPU working fine @100MHz FSB - 900Mhz :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
heh, I just junked a p2 450 that had a voodoo 3 and 128mb of pc66 ram. CPU fan died, power supply was going to shit, and I didn't feel like replacing the bad components, nor gutting the good ones, because I have far better components just laying around. (except it had a 30 gig hdd, I kept that)

I can get ahold of a system twice as good as the one I junked for $50 at surplus stores. But I already have several that are even better than that, which I rarely use :p