What's new

Thermal Grease, which one?

0N1 L1nK

I'm deciding which thermal grease to use on my CPU. It's an Athlon 1700XP.
I've heard that Artic Silver3 works very well, but i can't get a hold of any for a while. What I can get is a generic brand call "Unick".
Has anybody heard of this or use it? And will it be fine with my processor?

SuperSonic2K

Lord of the Flies
newegg only ships within the US/PR there

the AS is the best you can go with right now, as generic paste ain't as good as AS in heat transfer, btw, ive never heard of unick

EDIT: check the post above mine, has some useful alternative to AS3

Slougi

personally i prefer as2 to as3, as it is easier to spread and cheaper, and the performance difference is very small.

OP
0N1 L1nK

0N1 L1nK

Ok, thanks
I all i can really get a hold of is AS3, 'cos I live in New Zealand- I can't get a lot of stuff.
My other alternative is the AS "fraud" brand Titan, but I heard that it really sux.
My question is whether the generic brand will do on a CPU like mine? I read a review comparing AS2, CoolingFlow and Unick (http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/r_pastes/) and it says that Unick didnt do that bad (3-4 degrees higher), but it also says that this could cause a high end CPU to crash, is this true in my case?

Remote

I've used my fair shair of AS2, never tried AS3, and it's good. But if you have enough / adequete cooling in the rest of the case it shouldn't be needed... Esp if it's hard to come around...

Acorn

Cpu Socket | CPU :| Thermal Grease 0 Heatsink [] Fan }

The thermal grease conducts heat between the cpu and the heatsink - because the surface of the cpu and heatsink is not completely flat. If it were there would be no need for it. Note: older systems might use thermal tape, which didn't tend to work very well.