What's new

UltraHLE 2064 plugins problems reports

straight

Glide64

Great work UHLE 2064 team! I'm playing F-Zero at high framerates for the first time on my machine (1964 has slowdowns no matter how hard I tweak the plugins, unless I just turn the audio off). Some of the 2D graphics are screwed up (no power boost meter is the only one that affects gameplay), but I'm guessing that's a known issue or one of the Voodoo3 problems folks have already mentioned.

I'm also having the problem others have mentioned with Glide64. When I switch to fullscreen, the audio works and I can hear the game responding to my blind menu selections, but the screen is completely black except for the framerate counter in the corner.

I also have a weird glitch in the F-Zero menus. After I press Start for the first time, the selection highlight moves all the way to the right, as if I were holding the controller to the right. I have to jab the left button like crazy to get it to move left (it keeps trying to move back right) and then tap the A key at just the right moment to get the selection I want. (Cool! You added a mini-game to F-Zero!)

It does the same thing in the track selection screen. The ship selection screens and the game itself are fine and don't have any controller problem. I'm using N-Rage Direct Input V2 1.81a (and yes, I'm sure I didn't accidentally configure the mouse or a key to Right). Haven't had similar problems on any other game I've tried.

I'm also getting the thing where 2064 crashes when I quit. I also get some crashes when I try to quit a rom.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Well, it seems all my problems have already been reported, so I'll just confirm them...

In uHLE 2064, the audio and input work just fine for me. Input is N-Rage 1.82a, sound is uHLE internal.

I've got a 16MB PCI Voodoo Banshee. I've tried Glide64 0.3, and all I get is the black screen. The game continues in the background, just no GFX. The uHLE Glide plugin works, but I get horrible texture mis-alignment problems, and in Mario64, the borders are pink (!) instead of black. I'm using koolsmoky's latest Glide2x and Glide3x DLLs on Win98 SE, w/ AMD K6-2.

Glide64 works just fine for me in 1964.

I'm much looking forward to uHLE 2064 v2! Keep up the good work!:n64:

EDIT: The "new" v3fix works to fix the texture alignment. Also, a helluva lot of stuff is pink when it is supposed to be black. A quick run through StarFox (up to the start of the first level) shows this quite clearly.

Last edited:

Engeljaeger

professional pessimist
@ straight:
Exactly the same problem with that "mini-game" ( ;) ) here...
Also with the graphics...so that's no glide64-related problem, cuz I used uhle gfx, both, Ogl and Dx7...

Johann

Chankast rocks ^^
It does the same thing in the track selection screen. The ship selection screens and the game itself are fine and don't have any controller problem. I'm using N-Rage Direct Input V2 1.81a (and yes, I'm sure I didn't accidentally configure the mouse or a key to Right). Haven't had similar problems on any other game I've tried.

I think that it's a bug of the n-rage plugin. It happens to me in all the n64 emus when I have the 2nd player pad unplugged. Plug it or try another plugin.

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Johann said:
I think that it's a bug of the n-rage plugin. It happens to me in all the n64 emus when I have the 2nd player pad unplugged. Plug it or try another plugin.

N-Rage 1.82a works just fine for me in 1964. I DO see the problem with uHLE, so I think it's the emu, as I have exactly the same controller config in both.

Last edited:

Engeljaeger

professional pessimist
Hm...I've noticed something...maybe it's of no importance...I don't know too much about emulation ;)
I tried different ways to get Zelda OoT to run perfectly...
Well...I found out, that no matter if I take UHLE gfx or one of Jabo's gfx-plugins (1.5, 1.4 D3D7, 1.4 D3D6)...I always get the same FPS...always around 17-20...I dunno...that seems a bit low to me but the speed seems quite good...so the only thing that's not perfect is the sound which has those stops...and another funny thing is (or maybe it's normal...I dunno) that when I have sound emulation disabled the FPS are still the same... :plain:

MrMickey

Not is Impossible !!!
The mosts grafics plgin don't appear nothing.. only a black screen and a frme-rate of 10 to 12...
but nothing....

with xengine equal...

Lifeline

@engeljaeger

the framerates you get is fine. the n64 seems to have 50
or 60 (pal/ntsc) video interrupts. but the raw video and
proccessing power of the n64 is not high enough to render
that many frames in both zelda games. 17-20 is "normal"!

i think the sound glitches/pops derive from desync. because
uhle emulates the hardware of the n64 mostly hle and not lle.
the cycle counts are not too accurate. this is a problem with
every n64 emulator i know. in some sound plugins there's
the option "sync game to audio" which helps most of the time.

but what i don't get is why no one has ever implemented a
samplerate adjustment to sync the sound to the framerate.

cheers, lifeline

Engeljaeger

professional pessimist
Aah...I as already wondering, cuz 20 FPS seemed to be a good speed :)
Well...I haven't tried all the sound plugins yet, so I might do so now...but the uhle one is the fastest, isn't it?

Thx :)

ComixManiac

The internal audio plugin seems to be the only that works for me! Jabo's and Zilmar's plugins produce no sound and Azimer's plugin crashes the emu:cry: So ultrahle's sound is the most correct yet:)

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Remember that you should only use hle sound plugins with ultrahle. Anyway it wouldn't make sense otherwise, coz a lle sound emulation would take way too much processor time for the machines uhle is generally designed for.

Ultrahle sound plugin and internal plugins are using the same hle code, but the sound output code is different. Internal plugin have a better sync and should be faster. On the other hand this better sync causes skip issues. The ultrahle plugin should have less skip but it's not as stable as internal one.

The only other hle sound plugin is azimer one, on my system it is also working but it has same stability issues with uhle as external uhle plugin and should also have the same sync issues..

salk

Plug ins report

On this machine: Win XP SP1 - Radeon 9700 (for DirectX), Voodoo 5 5500 PCI (for Glide), Athlon XP 1900, Epox Via KX333, Corsair 512 DDRAM.

First of all: I need to delete the Glide2x.dll file or else I will always get an error "genport I/O initialization failure" (which I found out in this forum). I hope it was not important (but if it was not, why was it there ?).

Sound: Always Internal Audio solution selected for keeping stability and compatibility highest.

Controller: Alwats Nrage Plugin 1.82s

Xengine Direct X : Mario 64 works with major graphial issues. Mario Kart, ISS 98, ISS 2000 causes a black screen to appear. Not working. Diddy Kong Racing: works with massive graphical problems.

Xengine Glide: ATTENTION: Cause severe Windows problems!! It locks the system and it messes with internal peripheral's drivers! Extremely buggy and dangerous!! I had got bad consequences by this. To the developer team: NOT RECOMMENDED to include such a plugin at this stage.

Various - In Zelda Ocarina of Time: Error : Cant open SRAM

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
the glide2x file is the "driver" of the voodoo card. The one included with uhle is the voodoo2 version. We have included it because the emulator can't start on a system that don't have it, i'm thinking about a few tricks to solve this problem in the next release...

Concerning the glide renderer stability, it's the original uhle one, and from what the team have seen it's enough stable on voodoo2/voodoo1 cards.. Maybe in the future we should program a voodoo3/4/5 renderer, we'll see, it's not the main problem currently but don't worry we are preparing something :)

salk

Glide for Voodoo 4/5

Thanks for the reply, Hacktarux! I wish you the best in your hard job. You see...DirectX and OpenGL have a lot of supporters. Quite already many plugins for them and there will be no lack of them neither updates. I am very concerned about Glide instead. It deserves the same attention, according to me. Dave did a great job and Gonetz is keeping it up wonderfully. Indeed I'd be extrememly pleased to have you developers of UltraHLE surprise me with your new rendering engine. I hope you can also fix those other big problems I have met as I tested the executable with the few games I legally own. Again: best of luck to you. One more thing: when I push "ESC" I go back to Windows but it doesn't bring the screen resolution back as it originally is. In order to get to that, I do need to quit the emulator. Perhaps you can find a way to fix this too. Keep it up,guys!

Johann

Chankast rocks ^^
Hmmm... I think that there was a special ultraHLE glide2x.dll fix for voodoo3 and newer 3dfx cards. Maybe it can help some of the users that have gfx problems.

(I think that there was a banshee fix too, but i'm not sure...)

verta

the fix was for the dll, not the hardware. Im hopping the new release will be based on todays drivers. Otherwise nothing or everything will work for different people.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Johann said:
Hmmm... I think that there was a special ultraHLE glide2x.dll fix for voodoo3 and newer 3dfx cards. Maybe it can help some of the users that have gfx problems.

(I think that there was a banshee fix too, but i'm not sure...)

The so-called "Voodoo 3 fix" was a sort of Glide wrapper that adjusted texture alignment for newer cards. That's all.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
A couple more problems.

System: Celeron 700, Intel i810 mobo w/ integrated gfx chip, Windows 2000 SP2, DirectX 8.1.

Yah, I know the i810 sucks, but this is a sub-micro system I picked up for cheap, and it's worth the 50 bucks I payed. It has no AGP or PCI slots so I can't stick in a decent card.

The only game I have tested is Super Mario 64.

1) I'm using the uHLE DX7 plugin. It starts and goes fullscreen, and it does NOT hide the mouse. And since it changes the res, maximizes the uHLE windows, and *then* inits the gfx, I'stuck with a blinking part of a double-headed arrow cursor no matter which side of the screen I move the mouse to.

2) In Mario, in the startup screen, Mario's head is black and gray, instead of colored.

3) In that same screen, the top and bottom borders are a mixture of black and pink.

4) When entering a level, the background is black, preventing you from seeing the star description text.

5) There are weird problems with the edges of some polygons, where the depth isn't right, and the polygons show through each other.

Screenshots are attached.

EDIT: split part of this into the misc problems thread.

Screenshot for 2 and 3:
bscap0.jpg

Screenshot for 4:
UltraHLE 2003-01-03 19-42-00-77.jpg

Last edited:

Lugia

Strange error...

When triying to play any game with the Glide selected at the xengine it says: "Genport I/O Initialization Failure"

Running it in win2k SP3, V3 3000 wit the lastest x3dfx drivers, d3d works fine