What's new

changing to a resolution smaller than 320x240?

eric650

Hi, I need to change my resolution to something smaller than 320x240. Is there any emulator out there that will allow me to do this? Please don't ask me why, I have my reasons :)

The emulators ive downloaded have 320x240 or 320x200 as the minimum but ideally I need to go to 240x180. Anyone know of a way to do this with *any* n64 emulator?

Thanks,

Eric

OP
E

eric650

the display I want to use is 320x240 (landscape) but I want to render in portrait mode at 240x180.

My95ZR2

This is strange...what the heck are you gonna make out at 240x180? All you'll see is ~43000 pixels...where 640x480 is ~307000. Good luck, bub

Adam

OP
E

eric650

right now with PDAs the current limit on emulation is psx. N64's graphics are too tough to render on a PDA in its current form. However, I think it might be possible to emulate the CPU side of the n64 on today's PDAs. In the future, PDAs will have faster processors, ram, and bus speeds, as well as integrated 3D video cards. When this happens, prepare to see an N64 emulator :)

My95ZR2

That will be very interesting...*me pokes passanger on a train* See, I can play Super Mario 64 on my Palm...

Adam

OP
E

eric650

its not going to be a palm hehe, palms i think only have upto NES as far as emulators go. Pocket PCs have nes,gb,gba,snes,genesis,psx, and others.

My95ZR2

That's interesting...I may consider a Pocket PC instead of a Palm when I get a little moola for one...

Adam

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
My95ZR2 said:
This is strange...what the heck are you gonna make out at 240x180? All you'll see is ~43000 pixels...where 640x480 is ~307000. Good luck, bub

Adam

Not a fair comparison. Very few N64 games run at 640x480 at all, and only a really small handful require it.

Compare the pixels in 240x180 to 320x240 for a fair comparison.

My95ZR2

Geez Tag, I don't have school today, and you're gonna make me think???

*sigh*Let me go get the calculator...

*me hunts the calculator*

43,200 is 240x180
76,800 is 320x240

That is near double, but a little ways off. Yes, I knew that some games didn't use 640x480. I remember playing Mario 64 on the old 266 @ 320x240. It was a 17 inch monitor :sick: Oh, did I mention it had an S3 Virge in it? Yeah, I found out later that it sucked worse than a shop-vac.

SIDE TOPIC: I was about 7 or 8 when I first downloaded Powerstrip, and it had a little thingy that you could set your memory speed on your procesor. It said there were no problems with it, except your card may crap out, and you'll have to reboot. I think it ran at 33Mhz or so...I can't remember, but that sounds somewhere around it. Anyway, being the curious one I am, I slid it over to 92Mhz and hit apply. OH CRAP, I'M DEAD! The screen farted out, and I couldn't get it set back right. I gave up and rebooted, and all was fine. I uninstalled powerstrip after that...

Now? I've got my friends GF2MX400 64MB edition, and I got the SDRAM clocked up to 195. I had it at 200, but it was giving crap on the screen in Blue Shift...I knew I forgot something. I went out and bought BlueShift today. It was only 12.99 at Gamespot, and I loved Half-Life, so I bought it :D

Anyway, I'm gonna go back to playing.

Adam

Last edited:

revl8er

That Damn Good
That's pretty cool, I never thought about running an emulator on a pocket pc. Now I'm gonna have to go buy one just to try it out.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Mystic Gohan said:
Now I'm gonna have to go buy one just to try it out.
Errr...talk about waste of money.
Don't buy it unless you really want it for something...just to play emulatiom isn't a good one imo...but eh...you're choice.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
My95ZR2 said:
Geez Tag, I don't have school today, and you're gonna make me think???

*sigh*Let me go get the calculator...

*me hunts the calculator*

43,200 is 240x180
76,800 is 320x240

That is near double, but a little ways off. Yes, I knew that some games didn't use 640x480. I remember playing Mario 64 on the old 266 @ 320x240. It was a 17 inch monitor :sick: Oh, did I mention it had an S3 Virge in it? Yeah, I found out later that it sucked worse than a shop-vac.

Some games didn't use 640x480? Try the grand majourity of games. Like I said, it's a much nicer comparison.

hobolooter

Porting C++ Emulator

my iPAQ has a 400 mhz processor and 128megs of sd-ram, since it doesn't have a graphics card, do you think I could port over, successfully, a 64 emulator?

Tim.