What's new

Holy #$*% crap is this for real?

Noupe

Grog
I can't help but think that some of it must be cheating, but then again, you never know. Some of these things are known, and some are not.

There is a large thread discussing this video here.

Also, I would really think that TMK has most of the bugs written down, but I can't find all of them on their SMB site (here).

Well, at any rate, this guy (or gal) is good, and although some seem to agree that these bugs are reproducible on a real NES (as he played SMB on Nesticle for this video) I still have my doubts...

karth95

Lord of the Cats
Actually, I've done most of that stuff (except the turtles below the bottom thing) when I had a nes.. You had to spend a lot of time getting it right. I looked at the clock on it, and it flips around a tiny bit, so I think he probably had to save state and reload a few times.. he was using nesticle.

Martin

Administrator
I just saw it, all of those tricks can't be real, like when he swims right through 2 of those red, glowing thingies.

Some of it is still impressive :)

Noupe

Grog
karth95 said:
Actually, I've done most of that stuff (except the turtles below the bottom thing) when I had a nes.

Are you serious or exaggerating just slightly? You are saying that you did ALL the stuff that the guy in the video did, except for the turtle-on-the-bottom thing?

You jumped of the sides/edges of basically everything (not just pipes) without touching a mushroom at the same time, you defeated the hammer bros from below, you swam through fire balls etc., or? (Actually, I am aware of the reduced hitbox when swimming "ducked", but this seems a bit much; haven't tried it on the real hardware yet, though.)

I'm not saying that you are lying, but it would be dandy if you could clarify a bit and verify that all those stunts (with the exception of the turtle-thing) are, as far as you are concerned, 100% doable on the actual NES without any outside aid whatsoever. Thankyou.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I've seen most of that suff done on a real NES about 2 years after Mario Bros came out; except for the brick jumping. I know for a fact that this guy/girl used an emulator & save states because no-one can do all those tricks perfectly in a row like that without retakes.

Remote

I'm definetely impressed, that's some cool shit. Too bad noone told me about those 10 years ago:p I've done a couple of those but lid jumping seems quite hard.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Malcolm said:
I know for a fact that this guy/girl used an emulator & save states because no-one can do all those tricks perfectly in a row like that without retakes.

Well its quite obvious that he was using nesticle if youve watched it all the way to the end...you can see the severed hand cursor loading the bit where he jumps over the flag :p

[edit]: for those of you with a shitty connection (like me) try the 41.2mb version: http://studentweb.uwstout.edu/bernsteinj/Mario.avi

Last edited:

ingonab

Holy #$*% crap!! 100MBs for that!? :corpse:

[edit] Nesticle, the ROM, and the recording file would've been less than a meg. :(

Last edited:

Kahenraz

I remember my Game Genie.. That thing was sooo awsome!!! I found some of the coolest cheats for games. When Pokemon was big, I spent hours trying to find codes by typing in random #s and letters (and to this day I still am baffled with what the heck they represent). But, I have the only Pokemon "Walk through walls" cheat for GG. I was able to disprove every single lie about "hidden" pokemon and such with this cheat. I passed through gates, walls, shop keepers, everything. It was a bit glitchy.. being a glitch and all, but it worked.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Game Genie works by modifying memory addresses. Basically what you do when you put in those letters and numbers is you make the system intercept and replace the game's addressing with a different value.

Basically you found the codes which allowed you to override the clipping plane. :)

Kahenraz

LoL. It's not easy though. With this code you need a specific pokemon in your party. To activate the no-clipping you have to look at that pokemon's stats, then return to the game. It was amazingly fun.

Though I still don't understand how to determine what codes to do what. Like, how they write whole books on codes for life, levels, etc.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Kahenraz said:
LoL. It's not easy though. With this code you need a specific pokemon in your party. To activate the no-clipping you have to look at that pokemon's stats, then return to the game. It was amazingly fun.

Though I still don't understand how to determine what codes to do what. Like, how they write whole books on codes for life, levels, etc.

Basicaly they get a team of people who are good at reverse engineering and dissassembling software. Think of it like cracking, only instead of modifying whats stored on the medium (e.g. executable file), you are playing with the memory it uses at run-time.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
...which is why GameShark is legal, while Game Genie was not.

Game Genie directly modified game code at a given address as it was passed to the system, not just modifying memory values.

Kahenraz

Which is why Game Genie is soo much cooler ;)

Those were the days.. I would just sit and spend hours typing in random combos of letters and numbers. I would also take strips of take and cap off some of the gold prongs on the cart. I got some really cool results with one of the GB Final Fantasies.

Tri-Force

Philosopher Warrior
The NOSE!!!!! i accidently did one of those pit jumps one time and me and my brother and father called it "the Nose" becasue it looked like i jumped off of his nose. MAN!!! i thought i was the only one who ever survived a fall into a pit