What's new

Nintendo's DS Emulator

Tharos

Hi everyone,
I'm Tharos and I'm bringing a interesting new for you. I'm really sorry if this was already discussed in some topic (i have searched here and I have not found). I was discussing in other foruns when I have seen this:

*link removed*

Ensata is a Nintendo DS Emulator for Game Developers, realesed by Nintendo in 2004. And to be honest, it is far from being a DS Emulator, cause it just emulates NITRO files ( the early stages of DS' applications I think) .It's an emulator in a very early stage, with many bugs and it can't read .nds and .pme files, only .bin, .enp and .srl (these two last types are for developers, that called NITRO applications. *.enp is the ensata project file). Also, ARM9 is so weak; I tried to run some demos (.bin) and Mario 64 (renamed to .bin) but ARM9 didn't understand the instructions.

The ensata's interface is very alike the others corrent emus, with 2 screens and 4 buttons in the Toolbar: RUN, STOP, RESET and RELOAD FILE. ensata have support for joystick (very buggy for me, but still worth some try) and some configs for the screens. Can load and save .ram and render some D3D Frames, also has an internal clock and debug window.I did not see anything about sound.

It comes with a help file where you can see what is emulated from DS engine and other specifications. I'm sorry for any wrong info I have given about the emu, and if you want to check it, download it and read the help. And if you want to know more about this ensata Project go to WarioWorld and see the notes about Nintendo DS.

Remember: ensata is not running games. It's just a tool for developers ;)
Sorry my english and hope you enjoy this! :canadian:

Last edited by a moderator:

Clements

Yes, this emulator is real and does in fact work with some commercial games, but it is also illegal since it is part of Nintendo's own copywrited Development kit. Please remove the link in your post.

You are wrong about a couple of things too, the emulator does support .nds files. NITRO is Nintendo's code name for the Nintendo DS.

otomo

maybe it will help improve other ds emulators.

nevertheless, I still don`t see how to properly emulate a ds touch screen on a PC.

hkl8324

dont think this is official or anyway related to nintendo.....

will you sent that buggy and almost useless thing to your developers?

unless there is a perfect version of ensata somewhere in nintendo hands runing 100% of all games at 100% speed, i dont believe it is from nintendo.

Clements

It is definitely part of the official DS development kit. Most of the dll's are dated before the DS was even released to the public. It is likely an old version of the emulator, not all features are implemented. The emulator's purpose is for developers to debug their games, not for Joe Bloggs to use it as a means of playing games. I see no reason why it should be perfect, since Nintendo's N64 emulator for GC was not perfect either.

Also, a lot of DS dumps are useless with this emulator. All the GST releases will not work (they are bad dumps), and encrypted images don't work either.

Last edited:

hkl8324

Why do developers want something this buggy to use as a tools to DEBUG games?

Maybe it is a non-complete version or beta version of ensanta, but if it is real and a complete SDK thing, i see no point why developer will need this Buggy tool.

Nintendo have all the official data, they have non-disclosure agreement with its development, yet they produce something like this?

Clements

It's not a question of needing, it's a question of having another tool with debugging capabilities, however limited it may appear. We don't even know if these NDS images are all bad roms yet, so the compatibility is still in question. It is more advanced than Dualis 10 and iDeaS 1.0.0.5, yet was made sometime in mid 2004, before a lot of technical info about the DS was widely known about.

Last edited:

Miretank

Lurking
aha, i heard there are some DS roms on internet that are bad. and also i heard that ensata is running about 3 games: 007 rogue agent, Robots and an other I forgot the name.
i think it'll be for great help for emu developers.
I WANT TO PLAY MY MARIO DS SOON!

Clements

It is known to play:

Cool 104 Joker
Ping Pals
Robots
GoldenEye - Rogue Agent
Guru Guru Nagetto Download Demo
Submarine E3 Download Tech Demo
Table Hockey E3 Download Tech Demo
Zelda Gallery E3 Download Demo
OMalone (PD)

smcd

I tried Mario and Metroid Prime First Hunt. Mario doesn't do anything except complain about unemulated stuff and MPFH just sits at a white screen :)

Guru64

I heard that there are roms that are encrypted to only work on NeoFlash. Maybe that's causing errors.

thakis

Move on, the show's over, there's nothing to see here...

...just another dead thread begging for attention...