What's new

utopia boot method and a solution for you i\o control errors

morpheusx

I want to know how would i go about using a utopia boot disc 1.2 to load a none self boot Dc game,i tired everything to get a game to boot,nothing so far,the boot disc will boot after i have mouted it with deamon tools 3.29 and then i would unmout the the boot disc and mout the non boot Dc game in the same drive the boot disc was in,still nothing has made the utopia software load the game,i even tried to switch drives within chanka,nothing,in a real Dreamcast console,when you put in a boot disc,the Dc loades up the software and then after it's loaded,you pop open the lid and insert the none bootable Dc game,walla,it loads but there is'nt any way to tell the utopia boot disc that a cd or a image is there for loading!!

yeah yeah,i know what your thinking,i'll just click on the reset tab right?,you would be wise not to make a single move,because if you do,you would reset the whole session over and would probably reboot chankast all together but you can't even do that b/c the reset tab in chanka does'nt even work,it freezes the whole window if you click on reset,so that's a lost cause.

now that i asked my question of the day,i want to give everyone a tid bit of information,who ever has had this terrible error" i\0 control" like i had,fear no more,i have the solution,no it does'nt have anything to do with the bios and no,it has nothing to do with deamon tools or alcohol and again,no it does'nt have anything to do with right clicking on a bios and selecting properties and unchecking "read only" it's as simple as the nose on your face boys n girls.

The settings for your cd-rom plug-in,click on that tab,make sure that the "interface cd-rom aspi" in selected at all times and that's it,your problems with go away and your game should be able to boot smooth.

Hey guys,it's been fun,hit me up with a response and let me know if i was any help at all,i just got chankast runing today,you guys should have seen my face,i was so excited to see Ikaruga boot up for the first time on my pc and it's a good thing to know that when my Dreamcast dies,i'll be able to play my favorite Dreamcast games even when i get a little older and there is'nt anymore consoles availible anymore,also would love to be able to share these moments with my kids that i might have somday,showing them the consoles of yesterday and all the fun i used to have with them and that my friends,is what EMULATION is all about :0)

Last edited:
M

MegaManXGC

morpheusx after reading about what toy said I'd say that your a TRUE Emulation Fan. I think that this is a great start for you in EmuTalk.net. And what you said about the "i/o Controll error" really helped me and it fixed that problem for good.

-Thanks

Heinster

Some games work with the bootdisc byut some games just won't do anything after booting up with utopia and the animal just keeps onscreen.....

froggy

thanks morpheusx, i've followed your suggestions, but they still give me this error:
"can't read TOC from h:(virtual drive) drive".
any solutions?
thanks in advance

froggy

lucindrea

useing the aspi plugin crashes chankast for me .. xxx works fine on bootable images , but i cant do anything with the utopia disk .. no biggie , i've gotten fairly good at patching non bootable images into bootable ...

OP
morpheusx

morpheusx

Chankast voice chat help group

MegaManXGC said:
morpheusx after reading about what toy said I'd say that your a TRUE Emulation Fan. I think that this is a great start for you in EmuTalk.net. And what you said about the "i/o Controll error" really helped me and it fixed that problem for good.

-Thanks
your very wecome MegamanxGC,far as the boot disc is concerned,the only way i got it to work is to use my cdrom drive with the swap method,untill somone has a way to use a utopia boot disc off the drive,i'll be stuck with doing it that way for awhile,it's not problem though,most of my 160+games are selfboot anyway,now all i need is to master the selfboot appz i've been using,it's real easy,just haven't got one to work yet,i don't think.

Froggy,are you using daemon tools 3.29 or are you using alcohol?,if so,i suggest daemon tools :0)

Lucindrea,can you drop me a few tips on the selfbootable soultions,yeah i know there in the self help section but all i need is some tips on how to do it,just to make sure i'm doing it right :0)

Spunk13377 use dameon tools version 3.29,that might solve your problem.

s250

actually using Utopia bootcd is not that hard.
I've tried both virtual drive and actual CD,all works easy and fine.
I'm using Daemon Tools 3.46,Windows XP and Chankast with xxx CDROM plugin

JKidd

did you have any problem with a game starting but then you press a button it goes back to the bios screen?

lucindrea

morpheusx said:
Lucindrea,can you drop me a few tips on the selfbootable soultions,yeah i know there in the self help section but all i need is some tips on how to do it,just to make sure i'm doing it right :0)

get fastboot ( look at the sticky chanast tools thread )
mount image
copy image to data dir ( fastboot makes a data dir when you unzip it )
copy 1st_read.bin and ip.bin to the fastboot dir
run the binhack.exe
type:
IP.BIN
1ST_READ.BIN
copy the new ip.bin and 1st_read.bin the data dir ( yes overwrite )
run b2b_game

wait
mount image.cdi and see if it worked

of note , if you have a bootable game ( cant allways tell with games that dont work in chanka yet ) , doing this will make a bad image so allways keep your orginal image around , unless of course you dumped it yourself and know it's non bootable ... also of note , you can find copies of ip.bin around as some games just dont have it.

OP
morpheusx

morpheusx

actually using Utopia bootcd is not that hard.
I've tried both virtual drive and actual CD,all works easy and fine.
I'm using Daemon Tools 3.46,Windows XP and Chankast with xxx CDROM plugin

s250
View Public Profile
Send a private message to s250
Find More Posts by s250
Add s250 to Your Buddy List

s250,can you be more specific on how you got a utopia boot disc to boot a unbootable image?,telling me that it works is'nt much help,thanks in advance
Yesterday, 05:43 #9
JKidd
EmuTalk Member

Posts: 60 did you have any problem with a game starting but then you press a button it goes back to the bios screen?

JKidd
View Public Profile
Send a private message to JKidd
Find More Posts by JKidd
Add JKidd to Your Buddy List

JKidd,i did last week but i since fixed that problem with a fresh bios and or flash bios,whatever works first,no more bios time and date config pop'n up twice and loading up the bios menu all over again! :0)

Yesterday, 08:57 #10
lucindrea
EmuTalk Member

Originally Posted by morpheusx

get fastboot ( look at the sticky chanast tools thread )
mount image
copy image to data dir ( fastboot makes a data dir when you unzip it )
copy 1st_read.bin and ip.bin to the fastboot dir
run the binhack.exe
type:
IP.BIN
1ST_READ.BIN
copy the new ip.bin and 1st_read.bin the data dir ( yes overwrite )
run b2b_game

wait
mount image.cdi and see if it worked

of note , if you have a bootable game ( cant allways tell with games that dont work in chanka yet ) , doing this will make a bad image so allways keep your orginal image around , unless of course you dumped it yourself and know it's non bootable ... also of note , you can find copies of ip.bin around as some games just dont have it.
XP-PRO
Audigy gamer (spdif out)
BBA

lucindrea
View Public Profile
Send a private message to lucindrea
Find More Posts by lucindrea
Add lucindrea to Your Buddy List

Thank you much lucindrea,i'll try the above mentioned and give you my results in my next post,keep your good eye on this thread or just keep peek'n through the next chanka topics,you just may see my post once again :0)

Yesterday, 11:13 #11
Qubeley
EmuTalk Member

Posts: 27 Does Fastboot works with games that have 2 audio tracks and 1 data track?

Qubeley
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Qubeley
Add Qubeley to Your Buddy List

qubeley,windows sees Dc images and backup cd's as audio tracks,some only 1 or 2 kb big,this is normal,when you see a Dc image you've mounted with deamon tools and it has 1 audio track or 2 ,it's an self boot game,does'nt need to be ran though fast boot or any other selfboot kit,it's when you mout a image and see files like"1st_read.bin" if you see these files and folders,the image or Dc backup is'nt a self boot game and you would have to make them self bootable with the many selfboot kits.

Yesterday, 14:47 #12
linkinpark
EmuTalk Member

Posts: 8 it doesn't work for me i use daemon tools 3.29 i have win xp sp1

linkinpark,what does'nt work for you?,you have to be more specific when posting problems in forums,please :0)

JKidd

Thank you it worked :p
But do you know how i can fix this problem.When i go to the match in NJPW$ i get a black screen,and it freezes.

njpw4+copy.jpg

OP
morpheusx

morpheusx

jkidd,that seems like a compality issue to me,black screen in all,that has nothing to do with setting,beyond our control,check the compalibility thread for that perticular game to see if it does'nt work with this current release of chanakast. :0)

EMUUSER

i had do it but nothing happens!
i play chankast in win2000 pro, so i must choose aspi in the plugin, but it is nothing happen when i change the bootdisk 1.2 to game cdi, the screen still show the "deer", i still cant play.

maybe the cdi is selfboot but my machine cant run, maybe the bootdisk has problem , because there is a sentence in the bootdisk screen:

if u bought this cd u have been cheated...

why? what does it mean? what cheated? just demo?

rcgamer

the old guy
what game are you tryig to run.
the bootdisk was free , that is why it says that.
if you load your game and start chankast and get the bouncing ball that gos over the dreamcast logo, then get the sega screen, the game is selfbootable already.

im starting to think that a lot of people here dont know the difference between non selfbooting and not working with chankast. most of the games should already be selfbootable. another way to tell is to open the image with isobuster andif it has more than one track it is selfbooting.

oh and another thing, while these fastbooting programs are great to test out games with , they suck if you actually want to burn the game(cant figure out why so many of you dont just burn them to begin with). all im saying is i wouldnt delete the origianl image if you plan on burning it later.

Last edited:

JKidd

morpheusx said:
jkidd,that seems like a compality issue to me,black screen in all,that has nothing to do with setting,beyond our control,check the compalibility thread for that perticular game to see if it does'nt work with this current release of chanakast. :0)
You know what i left the black screen on for a minute then it worked.It seems everytime there is a load in the game it goes to black screen and freezes for a couple minutes which is annoying.But i cant get a good framerate so it aint really playable still bout 26fps.