What's new

Gas out day

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
On April 15th there is going to be a protest against high pump prices.

How to join?
Easy.
Refuse to buy gasoline on the 15th.

Lets send a message to big oil. :baaa:

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Maybe, but if Millions of consumers refuse to buy a product even for a day the company's may see a swift kick in the pants coming. :D

winter_mute

Galactic FREAK
Maybe, but if Millions of consumers refuse to buy a product even for a day the company's may see a swift kick in the pants coming. :D
Maybe, but oil reserves are almost dry, so seems to me that any protest wont change current situation. Prices will continue to grow - oil companies, refineries, processing companies, will dry every penny from ours wallets... while they still can.

smcd

Not to mention that (the US) were net export for gasoline etc. the past year.. Decreasing demand here and increasing demand elsewhere (China, India, etc) means that capitalism has them shipping it off to where they get paid more. Gas is going to go up again here as refineries adjust out of winter blend, too.

Want better results? Get ethanol out of the gas. It reduces mileage in most vehicles, and costs a lot of time energy and thus money, to be added in in the first place. Down with the corn lobby and sugar cartels! :)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I tend to agree with stolen_textures reasoning here: unless millions stop buying for a protracted amount of time and don't massively stock up the day before a protest is entirely pointless.

winter_mute

Galactic FREAK
Want better results? Get ethanol out of the gas. It reduces mileage in most vehicles, and costs a lot of time energy and thus money, to be added in in the first place. Down with the corn lobby and sugar cartels! :)
I would not be so quick with hasty conclusions.
On streets, I see more and more vehicles running on biofuel... well, at least 50% them are renovated 15+yo cars from Mercedes and VW... but never mind that, important is that you can pour almost everything to good old non-turbo diesel without any damage to the engine, e.g. vegetable frying oil from a nearby grocery store :] The downside is smoke, and smell of French fries from a distance of half a mile, but hey, that's the way to boycott petrol industry actions, not to mention 1.5$/galon costs :)

... so, leave corn lobby alone, cause (who knows) in few years it can be more powerful than oil industry is today :)

Last edited:

smcd

I have no problem with biofuels, biodiesel in particular. My main gripe is the use of corn ethanol in the US. It's not a good precursor for ethanol, and the diluted gas still costs the same or more but with typically less mileage. Plus subsidies and diversion of corn to ethanol production cause prices to rise elsewhere that they might not have if it weren't being used for fuel, like food. :) if there was progress with importing or growing more sugarcane (about 2x as efficient as corn for ethanol, and less carbon too) I'd be more for ethanol use in gas blends too.

Then there's the aspects of blended gasoline like not being good for small engines, less energy dense than hydrocarbons, and it attracts and retains water. As technology improves and cars designed around ethanol blends are more common, im sure some of my gripes will be diminished.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
First off gas buying boycotts don't work; consumers don't eat a large enough chunk of the pie to make a difference from a boycott - even if you boycott for years.

In terms of biofuels, while not a bad idea, we don't have the ability to properly obtain and distribute with our current infrastructure. It's less energy dense, so you're going to get less mileage per tank. When some try to make a cause against biofuel they argue that we have a food shortage, this really isn't the case. Right now we, as the human race, produce enough food to feed about 13 billion people. The problem with starvation isn't lack of food production but in transportation. So the main problem I see with biofuel is obtaining and refining - then the cost of retrofitting our current gear for the new fuel type.

For a short term fix (from now to 20 to 30 years from now) I'd suggest we move to natural gas. It's cheap, can be produced in most countries so there's no issue with consumption based wars, burns far cleaner then gasoline while being more energy dense (more miles per tank). A TED talk going over natural gas -> http://goo.gl/3JzHf

We're making many breakthroughs in battery and solar/nuclear technologies ( http://goo.gl/W7eDP, http://goo.gl/OgSA0 ). I think the time that natural gas would give us we'd be able to make very light weight, quick charging batteries and have refined LFTR and solar technologies to a point where we'd have safe, green reliable energy. Not to mention installing graphene in everything to make things more efficient -> http://goo.gl/vlOyU

Martin

Administrator
What's the gas price where you guys live btw? It's around 9 dollars per gallon here (about 2.50 per litre)

winter_mute

Galactic FREAK
average price for fuel (whatever diesel/petrol, standard/premium, difference is always few cents) in Poland is 1.9USD per litre, LPG is half that price.

smcd

Southern US here, just paid 3.679/gal for lowest grade gasoline/ethanol blend. Comparatively, the price in the US is low to the rest of the world. If only we had good public transportation and didn't think trains were evil? Then again, the country is huge and lots of sparsely populated areas. Since most of the population is within 200 miles of the country's border, maybe we could simply invest in good public transit across that area :)

Toasty

Sony battery
Yeah, believe it or not it's actually relatively cheap here in the US. $4.15 USD/gallon last time I drove by the station.

I wouldn't call that cheap in the slightest..
Neither would I, but that's why I said relatively cheap. Check out Martin's post to see why. ;) (European gas prices make gas prices in the states look like it's 1970.)